Author Topic: First Osage self bow questions  (Read 6099 times)

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
Re: First Osage self bow questions
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 10:52:10 pm »
Gotcha. Ill update when I get it there. Thanks!
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 10:57:30 pm »
Oky doky.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 09:25:46 pm »
I got it down to about an inch thick. I left the handle and fade area pretty much alone but I took the belly down to one inch from the fades to tips. I did most of it with hatchet and draw knife but I went ahead and cleaned it up with a band saw a little bit at the end just to be safe. Should I just let it alone for a while or go ahead and rough out the width? it looks like it I cut it with dips but I had to do that because of the shape.

As far as the center line I just draw a line straight down the middle of the stave following the grain around the knots and stuff correct? The picture in the earlier post I drew a line off to one side but thought the better of it and erased it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:34:42 pm by ccase39 »
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 09:38:43 pm »
Yea good.It does look really wavy though.Maybe that can be flattened out a bit.It's going to be mostly flat in the end anyway I think but can't see why you have it so wavy.Now weigh it.Write it on the stave.Put a fan on it.Keep it wide yet.The spring of 2015 you got it as a stave right.Has it been reduced for some time too?With the bark and sapwood removed.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 10:09:35 pm »
Looks good.
BowEd
Ed

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 10:30:42 pm »
Yea good.It does look really wavy though.Maybe that can be flattened out a bit.It's going to be mostly flat in the end anyway I think but can't see why you have it so wavy.Now weigh it.Write it on the stave.Put a fan on it.Keep it wide yet.The spring of 2015 you got it as a stave right.Has it been reduced for some time too?With the bark and sapwood removed.

I will fix the waves. I didnt want to go too far before knowing I was doing it as you said. I received the stave a couple weeks back but it was cut back in early 2015. It was barked, coated and stored then.
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 09:04:12 am »
That's good.Your bow I think will have it's character in the whoopty tee doos up and down along it's back more so than the snake from side to side.It'll be a fun one to tiller.It could be dryer than we think,but stiill it's good to check by weighing it.It'll be a dandy.
BowEd
Ed

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 02:10:25 pm »
It is 4.1 lbs. Should I go ahead and rough out the handle area? Thanks for all the help by the way!
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 09:04:37 am »
Your welcome.It feels like you've got an idea what to do here.Having the tools and scale etc.The handle I'd still leave full width but maybe 1.5" deep or thick.Let's see how dry this piece is.Give it a couple of weeks for sure.Keep weighing it.Might seem like forever but it'll be worth it.That osage is like rerod compared to other wood.
BowEd
Ed

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 02:17:24 pm »
Your welcome.It feels like you've got an idea what to do here.Having the tools and scale etc.The handle I'd still leave full width but maybe 1.5" deep or thick.Let's see how dry this piece is.Give it a couple of weeks for sure.Keep weighing it.Might seem like forever but it'll be worth it.That osage is like rerod compared to other wood.
Will do. I'll see about getting a way to test moisture.
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2015, 08:18:20 pm »
Ok.Don't know whether you got this info around you but here's the graph I go by to dry wood.Up and down reference is humidity and side to side is temperature.You'll see at 80 degrees F. at 50% humidity it'll be 9.1% moisture.If you keep it at 90 degrees at 40% humidity it'll get there quicker etc. etc.Again a fan will help.Just like drying clothes.It is'nt going to crack or warp any more IMO.Just weighing it till it quits and then some will get you there.I don't own a moisture meter any more.
BowEd
Ed