Author Topic: round bow questions?  (Read 1466 times)

riverrat

round bow questions?
« on: November 28, 2015, 08:27:02 pm »
anyone ever make a round bow? i mean like African bows? maybe theres other round bows too ? thinking on trying a d type bow, round limbs. wider at the handle tapering to pointy tips. so long as the grain is straight should work right? Tony

Offline PatM

Re: round bow questions?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 08:43:11 pm »
Every sapling bow I made as a kid. ;) Many tropical country bows are made this way. African, Amazon, New Guinea.
 Chuck just posted a round Amazon style Ipe bow.

riverrat

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 04:39:33 am »
thanks Pat. Tony

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 08:43:42 am »
  Just made a eastern wood land bow for that time period.

I don't know if it's true because CROOKETARROW told me. Before the IROQOUS (EASTERN WOOD LAND) BOWS WERE ROUND. As were the first IROQOUS bows. I've never know CROOKETARROW to tell me one thing that was wrong.

He told me the first early Iroqous bows were round not untill later 100 years did the start useing a more D type bow.

When I met him he'd built The same bows the made as a kid 50 years ago. I built everything I could find out about. He's laugh and say. But you still hunt with the same kinda bow everyyear.

Even though I could'nt soak up enough about bows any bows. I still hunted with a flat bow with a shelf. I never sa him weiver, He was shooting off his hand when he died.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

riverrat

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 08:30:49 pm »
do you know if the bow was split out from a stave or was it more common to just use a sapling as is and tiller it a little? thanks Tony