Author Topic: ABO Hunting points  (Read 30054 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: ABO Hunting points
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 07:20:12 am »
The setup produced good penetration. The arrow entry was not planned. The deer came in and I waited till it was broadside gave a grunt to stop the guy and picked a spot. He jumped the string after the release and turned to go back the direction he came and caught the arrow square.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 07:29:04 am »
I never carry a knife. The creeks in southeast iowa and this midwest reagion contain chert in the creeks. Behind the deer is a creek I jumped in and made a flake knife. It is also the same location I found a primitive flake knife and spear point. In this photo you can see the flake knife.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 07:44:34 am »
Thanks guys. My purposes here is to share information that produced good results. It is important to pass on this kind of information so that new comers to primitive archer have information to make the best equipment they can. This bow and arrow setup has taken two deer. The photo below shows how the sinew wrap functioned to prevent the shaft from splitting. I think this is particularly important information because the arrow hit bone. Also the shaft wrap did not fail when the attaching wrap was cut.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 07:58:47 am by iowabow »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 09:16:08 am »
Very nice, Thanks. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 09:24:06 am »
Great deer, bloody arrow, self bow, damp fall leaves.....Heavenly
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Stringman

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 09:58:11 am »
John this story is another great example of the persistence it takes to do this thing we do. We who have committed ourselves to the hardest form of archery hunting, realize our success rate will diminish. We realize our failures will mount. Our frustration will be profound at times and we will be faced with questioning our true motives for hunting. While many of our friends scoff at our choice we continue to make this personal challenge relevant to the only person that matters - the guy who's teeth we brush.

If I were trying to kill a deer in the most ethical manner I would use a variety of other weapons more efficient than self gear. The fact is, that's not my goal. My goal is personal, just as yours is. And it requires a level of determination few people in this nation are capable of comprehending. We who walk this path don't do it for reality show ratings or the approval of the outspoken. We do it for ourselves.

When a story like this is penned and you are allowed to read it, I encourage you to read between the lines. Keep your criticism to yourself, and try to appreciate the thousands of hours of work that have gone into this accomplishment. This deer represent more than the sum of a successful hunt. It represents a whole lotta failure... and a few successes! John, my prayer is that your failures are fewer and your successes many! GOOD HUNT!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 10:09:03 am »
Well said Scott!  Very well said!   Josh

Offline Zuma

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 11:47:16 am »
I hear the ring of major selfishness here, as well as attempted
censorship of other's thoughts and ideas about ethical hunting.
What is wrong with some advice about staying on the target range
until the time you won't miss? Or at least not miss ALOT.
And please re-haft a new point and give the animals a better
chance at a quick death. You have plenty of them Iowa.
Iowa I assume you were not joking about missing a lot, as it seems
only the others will tackle my replies? And I also PMed you all in hopes
to keep your thread on topic and not being hijacked. I have fielded
more than your share of provocative questions here in the recent past.
Please reply on Message Board Rules
Thanks Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Stringman

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 01:23:54 pm »
Don, I have endeavored to give you the benefit of the doubt and ignore some of your less informed statements. However, you are proving to be something of a bully and I don't care for it. You stand alone in this confrontational approach, and, since there seems to be no support for your comments you should ask yourself if there be any basis for your assertions. The fact is your assault of John's character is unnecessary and needs to stop. Those of us who know Iowabow, can vouch for his integrity. And while some your requests have the appearance of propriety, your condescending tone shows your true motives.

To conclude: censorship hasn't happened yet, nor are you making friends. So what's your purpose here? Just a friendly question.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2015, 01:40:16 pm »

This really is barbaric. YES I MISS ALOT Get the out of the woods dude.
Zuma
Did I MISS some thing here?
Or are you just kidding? I hope so.
[/quote]

bar·bar·ic
bärˈberik/
adjective
savagely cruel; exceedingly brutal.
"he had carried out barbaric acts in the name of war"
synonyms:   brutal, barbarous, brutish, bestial, savage, vicious, wicked, cruel, ruthless, merciless, villainous, murderous, heinous, monstrous, vile, inhuman, infernal, dark, fiendish, diabolical
"barbaric crimes"
primitive; unsophisticated.
"the barbaric splendor he found in civilizations since destroyed"
synonyms:   brutal, barbarous, brutish, bestial, savage, vicious, wicked, cruel, ruthless, merciless, villainous, murderous, heinous, monstrous, vile, inhuman, infernal, dark, fiendish, diabolical
"barbaric crimes"

Zuma, what is the point of your existence and participation other than to troll on this forum. You have no business directing/telling or even suggesting to ANYONE on here to get out of the woods. If hunting and harvesting game in the purest form offends you, then perhaps you need to find another forum to troll. I'm certain Opra and Martha Stewart have forums that wild be better suited to your delicate sensitivities.

I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 02:12:00 pm »

Zuma

bar·bar·ic
bärˈberik/
adjective
savagely cruel; exceedingly brutal.
"he had carried out barbaric acts in the name of war"
"barbaric crimes"
"the barbaric splendor he found in civilizations since destroyed"
"barbaric crimes"

Zuma, what is the point of your existence and participation other than to troll on this forum. You have no business directing/telling or even suggesting to ANYONE on here to get out of the woods. If hunting and harvesting game in the purest form offends you, then perhaps you need to find another forum to troll. I'm certain Opra and Martha Stewart have forums that would be better suited to your delicate sensitivities.
[/quote]
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 06:58:54 pm »
Message Board Rules 8)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 07:40:24 pm »
Hey John,  how wide is this point?   Mine are triangular about 13/16" wide at the base.  Mine do alright for the most part, but the tips break off pretty easy.  Your point style seems to be considerably more robust in regards to hard impacts.  They're definitely effective considering the critter only made it 40 yds.  I've tracked deer that have been shot through both lungs with a rifle for over a mile on several occasions.  Josh

Offline iowabow

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2015, 11:48:39 pm »
Josh the point is 1 1/6 at the base and the lengh is 2 1/4 inches long. I think the curved sides, lens shaped center section and curve tip to base helps to transfer as much energy and shock to the shaft. This is just a guess but it works with arches so maybe this helps explain why the point handles the abuse I deliver to my equipment.  I have driven the same point into the frozen earth multiples times and the points just seem to take it.  These points are thick by modern knapping standards but this provides an advantage when your point finds the dirt. There is a bonus to the thick design because you will have  material left to retouch the point.
The reason he went down so fast was because he was hit in the heart. Josh I took him in my woods near the creek where you gathered that raw Burlington and I was on the ground.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2015, 02:45:48 am »

Zuma

bar·bar·ic
bärˈberik/
adjective

This would be my best choice

Zuma, what is the point of your existence
I wish I could use raw langusge to express my disapointment
for your totally underhanded remark

You have no business directing/telling or even suggesting to ANYONE on here to get out of the woods.
Please express your sentence in the relm of the rules of the message board.
Thank you lol Zuma

[/quote]