Author Topic: ABO Hunting points  (Read 30055 times)

Offline JEB

Re: ABO Hunting points
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2015, 07:56:56 am »
Iowabow: How thin are you getting your bases?  I try and get them thin as possible for hafting reasons.  I hate to loose a lot of wood on the end of my arrow because of thick bases. I may have to try some of that Burlington material as it sounds like it can take some punishment.

Offline Patches

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2015, 09:15:21 am »
Nice kill John!  I have a few artifact points that have the same shape as your point, and I have noticed that they too are a lot thicker than most modern knapped points.  Your point looks like it is very true in shape.  I will try post a photo or two of the artifacts.   One actually looked like the tip did brake off, but it was re -sharpened with a circular tip but still very sharp.  It may have been used as a scraper, but that is just me guessing.  It is the only one I have ever seen like it.

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline iowabow

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2015, 06:36:59 pm »
Iowabow: How thin are you getting your bases?  I try and get them thin as possible for hafting reasons.  I hate to loose a lot of wood on the end of my arrow because of thick bases. I may have to try some of that Burlington material as it sounds like it can take some punishment.
I don't think the base is over an 3/16 at the thickest. I have another arrow to halve so I will take pictures and provide better data as I put it together for you. That way we can all start comparing information.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2015, 06:39:53 pm »
Nice kill John!  I have a few artifact points that have the same shape as your point, and I have noticed that they too are a lot thicker than most modern knapped points.  Your point looks like it is very true in shape.  I will try post a photo or two of the artifacts.   One actually looked like the tip did brake off, but it was re -sharpened with a circular tip but still very sharp.  It may have been used as a scraper, but that is just me guessing.  It is the only one I have ever seen like it.

Neal
I think that would be cool for us all to see. Feel free to post it here if you like.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2015, 07:11:39 pm »
Ok this is going to sound over the edge but I am going go out on a limb here. I just had a thought about the differences between modern metal deer hunting points and flint point design.
Ok this maybe a new idea so it's going to sound crazy at first so be kind.
Flint points need to be fatter in the center or could benefit from being. This will help prevent low penetration in at least some circumstances. This is my logic. A point with relatively simular thickness could lead to sinew failure as it passes through bone. If the tail is thinner and the sinew sits below the thickest plane the sinew has a chance of survivability. If it fails the point could rotate and divert energy. With this said did arrow head design use this idea I have no idea. Fun thought?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2015, 02:03:06 pm »
Ok, lemme get this straight in my head.

The point is at it's thickest somewhere just ahead of the base, right?  So as the thickness of the point passes thru, for instance, the rib you pictured, it would open a passage that the sinew wrap may pass thru with less resistance?  Ok, I can see that. 

I think there was something in the Ashby research about how a shaft slightly smaller than the cross section of the broadhead suffered less from resistance/drag/friction from the wound channel and gained penetration. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2015, 02:40:40 pm »
John, I think this may have been a sid e benfit and not the original intent, The bases need to be thin so there is some shaft dia left to work with. :o Just my .02 worth Sometimes I think we tend to over think alot of primitive stuff, NA people were excellent trackers so a less than perfect hit was no big deal, Didn't have to punch a clock at 8 in the morning the next day. :D Bob

Offline iowabow

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2015, 03:14:14 pm »
John, I think this may have been a sid e benfit and not the original intent, The bases need to be thin so there is some shaft dia left to work with. :o Just my .02 worth Sometimes I think we tend to over think alot of primitive stuff, NA people were excellent trackers so a less than perfect hit was no big deal, Didn't have to punch a clock at 8 in the morning the next day. :D Bob
My thought was about the point having a constant thin thickness without the center thickness. Sorry I did not make that clear my fault. Bob it a trait of mine to over think things just  thought I would throw it out there.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:18:00 pm by iowabow »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2015, 04:14:01 pm »
Ok, lemme get this straight in my head.

The point is at it's thickest somewhere just ahead of the base, right?  So as the thickness of the point passes thru, for instance, the rib you pictured, it would open a passage that the sinew wrap may pass thru with less resistance?  Ok, I can see that. 

I think there was something in the Ashby research about how a shaft slightly smaller than the cross section of the broadhead suffered less from resistance/drag/friction from the wound channel and gained penetration.
yep that says it better

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2015, 05:09:27 pm »
John, It takes extra work to make a point flat or same thickness front to back. the natural thinning process leaves our points naturally thicker towards center. NA says good enough were not making art we are making meat , Let's Go! :D Again just my.02 worth,   :o Heck any ole knapper can make points with a thick middle, just look at my points for example. It's hard to make flat thin pretty ones. ;D  Bob
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 05:14:16 pm by Outbackbob48 »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2015, 06:03:51 pm »
John, It takes extra work to make a point flat or same thickness front to back. the natural thinning process leaves our points naturally thicker towards center. NA says good enough were not making art we are making meat , Let's Go! :D Again just my.02 worth,   :o Heck any ole knapper can make points with a thick middle, just look at my points for example. It's hard to make flat thin pretty ones. ;D  Bob
I think we agree

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2015, 06:42:21 pm »
Yep,, Now what am I going to make,  functional point, functional art or just art.hmmmm :o ;D ;D Bob

Offline iowabow

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2015, 07:02:42 pm »
Yep,, Now what am I going to make,  functional point, functional art or just art.hmmmm :o ;D ;D Bob
I think this is a real good point you make. Does form follow function or function follow form. With arrowheads it is a real good question because "style" meant something to those who were creating points. We have many different forms that accomplish the same task. So you have hit on a really good point that I don't have an easy answer to.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2015, 07:15:47 pm »
My easy answer is. I'm just going to keep making points as long as I still can.  :) Time sadly is not on my side, still in good health so I am just going to keep pounding out the points ;D Bob

Offline iowabow

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2015, 07:30:50 pm »
My easy answer is. I'm just going to keep making points as long as I still can.  :) Time sadly is not on my side, still in good health so I am just going to keep pounding out the points ;D Bob
cool