Author Topic: Skinny and knotty Ash sapling tiller help.  (Read 1675 times)

Offline jandersson

Skinny and knotty Ash sapling tiller help.
« on: September 04, 2015, 12:15:42 am »
Hey folks,
I need some help on this one, I'm not sure how to go navigate the knots and bends. Ash sapling, 68"-70" i forget and about an 1"- 1 1/8" wide on the right side when looking at the pictures. The sapling came with a "kink" on each limb, one mid limbs, the other 2/3rd's out and there are belly knots right at those points. Also the right side has two side knots that go through to the other side of the limb. So with the knots and the bends how should I tiller, do I need to leave it stiff around both the belly and side knots? I think I have a bit of a hinge coming out of the handle on the right side but what about the rest of it?

Thanks!
Joakim

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Skinny and knotty Ash sapling tiller help.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 05:51:13 am »
I acctuly think it is looking pretty good. I know it looks stiff on the right but if you look at the un brace profile it has some reflex and it is bending there as you pull on it, I usually leave them a little stiffer in the knot areas, stiffness depending on the severity of the knot. It may look a little funky when tillered and not the prefect arc most look for but it's a self bow and you have to do what ever it takes to keep it together and make it last. I think yours is looking fine. Are you at full brace or still on the long string ? If you are still on the long string I think I would get it fully braced and then see how it is looking. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 07:26:59 am »
Man that's gonna be a cool bow with the natural kinks and such.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 07:44:57 am »
Looks weak just right of the grip to me.... I'd write "LEAVE"  on that section as you ease off the rest. Left looks pretty good. (Or do whatever you do to remind yourself to keep off it!)
Generally I think the outers aren't starting to work yet.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline jandersson

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 11:25:46 pm »
Finally had some time to work on it this weekend. Now pulling to a final 26", I think left is pretty good but what about the right? Also I've added some set to it and in tbb4 Marc St Louis is adding some reflex when tempering his bow and I was hoping to just straightening it out a bit. What do you do when you got knots on a limb and doing heat tempering? Seems to me that could be a problem. I added some pics of the knots on the limb.
Joakim