Author Topic: Axe handle discussion  (Read 6379 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Axe handle discussion
« on: November 30, 2015, 07:36:26 am »
Anyone make their own? I've searched the hickory handles at the local farm store and grain pattern leaves a lot to be desired, also the cost is high.

It would seem to me that for strength the grain should run quarter sawn (up/down) instead of rift sawn (across). Am I tending to confuse myself by overthinking?

I'm also wondering if a proper size sapling cut to length and finessed into the handle may not work just as well.

Appreciate your input., Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Axe handle discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 09:11:38 am »
I've made a few hatchet handles from osage billets. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 04:42:39 am »
Once in an emergency fix, I used a small dia. Iron Wood to replace a broken handle on a splitting Maul. Worked great - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 08:57:20 am »
Pappy's doing some right now on his long running "Life is Good" thread.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 11:44:44 am »
I made one from Black Locust. It turned out really big, but works well.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline 1442

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 12:36:19 pm »
When I was in high school, we camped for years with an old man who made axe handles and any other kind of handle anyone might want, including wheelbar handles and boat paddles.
He would cut nice straight hickory trees about a foot in diameter or a little bigger. Cut them to length for whatever size handle, then split them like narrow bow staves. He called it white hickory, but I remember it had longer narrower leaves than pig nut has. Those woods have all been clear cut and planted with pines since.
He would tie any extra pieces into bundles and soak them in the slough until he was near ready to work them, which wouldn't take long to turn the whole tree into handles. He used a double bit axe on the green wood and would rough shape the handles to near finished dimensions then finish them with a case pocket knife.  The process went very fast and he could make a dozen handles a day while running traps and skinning and drying hides, and installing the handles for customers who would bring their tools to him in the woods at our camp and drop them off. I don't remember exactly how many a day he made but it was quite a lot. After whittling, he scraped them smooth and would hang them in tree limbs to finish drying.
I remember an axe handle to be $3 installed. The grain ran straight from end to end and his shaving pile where mostly really long large size shavings that just seemed to peel off almost effortlessly with his case pocket knife. The handles he made where no doubt some of the finest available at that time and people came from all over the place, out to our camp to buy them, or have theirs replaced.
I got carried away here, your post brought back so many good memories of that old man and our hunting camp with handles, and hides  hanging all in the trees like ornaments. Sorry!  but Thanks!
If you have any specific questions, my old memory may be able to remember enough to answer.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 04:44:26 pm »
I could never find a good hickory axe handle at the store so I I made my own out of some Osage lumber I had for bow making. That handle has been working hard for 3 years and refuses to even splinter under the head.
Clatskanie, Oregon