Author Topic: Horn inserts  (Read 6938 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Horn inserts
« on: November 30, 2015, 02:01:49 pm »
Anyone do this on their self nocks?Pretty safe and durable.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Horn inserts
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 02:29:25 pm »
I've not used horn but I have used hardwood and rawhide. Somewhere I have some piano ivory that I was going to use for the spine of reinforced self nocks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 02:52:34 pm »
Only on Warbow arrows.
on normal poundage bows I whip round just below the nock with thin linen thread and a drop of superglue to soak into it.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 02:57:10 pm »
I've done it for looks.  But like Del says, a few wraps of thread below the nock is easeir and just as effective.  M-P
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 07:36:21 pm »
Yes a wrap works too.I like the looks of the inserts and they are'nt that much trouble to make for me.Kind of a use for excess unusable for anything else horn.The nocks don't get loose very quick from wear because of the horn too.They keep snapping in good on the serving nocking an arrow.Lots of other hardwoods can work too.On war bow arrows the inserts are a bit longer.
BowEd
Ed

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 07:55:41 pm »
I really like the looks of the inserts.....nice work
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 08:04:39 pm »
On the 50-55 pound bows I shoot they aren't necessary, in fact, my current primary shaft ,rivercane (I finally found a great patch of the 15ft stuff!) is supposedly prone to splitting and I have not yet had that problem, wrapping around the nock with sinew is all that is necessary for me. However, I like the looks of horn inserts and think that they are very useful for high-poundage bows.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 08:07:42 pm »
It's just one more way of showing off your patience and hard earned skill!  And for those "in the know", we'll just smile and nod when we see 'em.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline unkieford

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 09:27:01 pm »
I've done a few. Just like everyone else, It wasn't necessary, it was just pure art.
It has, however, gotten some notice from a few of the local medieval re-enactment groupies. Some of 'em are leaning on me to make arrows for them. I'd rather just teach them how, and let the ball roll from there.

---Ford---

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 09:18:06 am »
Yea there is a reanactor gal here too that's talking to me.No hope of her making them though let me tell ya.....lol.I use fast flight string too which is a bit stiffer than B50 on bows with 4 to 6 inch reflex.In the very beginning of arrow making I thought cutting cross grain was good enough on dougles fir....Not so.Bamboo I make the nock above a node.If that is'nt workable I glue bamboo skewers in an inch or too then wrap.Those foreshafts seem like a lot of work to me though.I lose arrows too quick.....lol.
Hey JW.....I'm bored here.Being retired and all.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stoker

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 11:27:47 am »
Very nice looking arrows.. I've used hardwood inserts on self knocks
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline WillS

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 11:39:56 am »
I always use 1mm cow horn for mine.  Love the look, and wouldn't trust them out of big bows without them.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 12:56:10 pm »
nice looking arrows. I have never done any like this,  I just use sinew, & I will criss cross the sinew in the bottom of the knock before wrapping it around the shaft. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 08:02:19 pm »
Bamboo I make the nock above a node.If that is'nt workable I glue bamboo skewers in an inch or too then wrap.Those foreshafts seem like a lot of work to me though.I lose arrows too quick...

I promise you, foreshafts aren't necessary, in fact I would go so far as to say that they actually decrease the life of the arrow. Cane or bamboo is stronger than wood so adding a hardwood to the front will do nothing. A good wrap of thread for about an inch before the point is all you need. I don't shoot the heaviest bows or the ones that zip an arrow at 180fps but I get about 150 fps on my bows with cane arrows. And I shoot them into metal, rocks, water, mud and even trees (though not intentionally sometimes ;)) and have only had one or two break on me. your thoughts may vary and that's fine :)
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 09:10:01 pm »
I was just mentioning the different types of arrow shafts out there that's all.I shoot all my bamboo as is.No foreshafts.I have my favorites for ease of construction,spine,accuracy,weight, and durability.
BowEd
Ed