Author Topic: IRS scam  (Read 4505 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
IRS scam
« on: December 04, 2015, 12:54:21 pm »
If you get a phone call from someone saying they they are from the IRS, remember that the IRS dosent call you. The calls come from Illinois. They speak with a middle east accent. One of the guys I work with got that call this morning. It was a recording saying that he had a lawsuit against him and owed the IRS money. They wanted him to call a number back. So we looked it up and decided to call it back on a land line. When he called their bluff they got pretty nasty with him. So we reported them. You can repot the call with a simple Google search of the phone number.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline paulsemp

Re: IRS scam
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 01:45:32 pm »
A guy I work with was telling me his next door neighbor an old lady got a call and they said that they were coming after her and demanded she paid it right away. She gave him a credit card number and they max it out within 15 minutes of the phone call. She did not touch it until her next credit card statement and called and reported it. Real sad that they are going around and trying to catch people off guard and getting their information. I've told everyone I know about it especially older folks that may be a little more gullible to the situation

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 02:44:10 pm »
I got the call and told him that I would have it in CASH within the hour and he can come right over and pick it up.  Still waiting for him to show.  The coffee is cold and the donut I saved for him is moldy, but the welcome mat is still out there!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 03:33:25 pm »
We got that call at home 2 days ago. They wouldn't answer my call back, good for them. I'm nothing nice when somebody pokes my family like that.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 04:38:15 pm »
Nasty scam but...... I'd still rather get a call from these dirt bags before a call from the real IRS. At least you can tell these people to piss off. Can't do that to the G-Man. ;D ;D
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 04:44:34 pm »
Nasty scam but...... I'd still rather get a call from these dirt bags before a call from the real IRS. At least you can tell these people to piss off. Can't do that to the G-Man. ;D ;D

Where is the doggone "LIKE" button when you need it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 04:56:08 pm »
Any time a get a phone call like this I ask them to please send me the info in the mail. If they ask for a mailing address I tell them...you have my phone number, you've got my address. I never get anything back in the mail.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 04:56:28 pm »
My family has quite a few people who do, or have worked for the IRS. I will tell you that they WILL NOT call you, and the WILL show up to your home if you owe them money. And they DO NOT take you to court, the simply SEIZE your assets.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 06:58:57 pm »
Well as of 4pm today between me and about 12 others at work, we have called them back a good 100 times. It got to the point when they would answer the phone I couldn't hold my composure and would start laughing. It's funny how they don't like being harassed. Turn abouts fair play! I'm going to be up late tonight, I plan to call them several times around midnight.
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline RyanR

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 10:43:38 pm »
I got this same call about a year ago. I tried to call them back but, they didn't answer. I think I will use JW's line if they call back.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 02:22:10 am »

I got the call in October, and the guy had a Hispanic accent, and gave an I.D. number, and said I owed the IRS, a bunch, and I had to call immediately, or I would be arrested.  I just laughed, and hung up.  There had been a ration of these calls out here.  However I do believe that the IRS has my picture on their wall, as they got me for a rather large chunk of my retirement, when the idiots at the investment firm, didn't understand the term pretax.  So they just took a tiny bit out for taxes.  I got whacked reallllllllly well!!  It still hurts.  So if you have any funds, in investments, and you take any out, be sure to specify how much tax you want taken out.  I had to take a mortgage on my home, that I had thought was all paid for.  Well it was till that happened.  But if all goes well, I should have the mortgage paid off in three years.  I took out a bigger amount, to furnish the house with appliances, and beds, and wood stove, etc.  Kinda wish I would have just taken out what was owed in taxes, and then bought the house stuff a little at a time.  Oh well.  I used to get email, from Ooga Gaboona, or some such name from Africa (via the Bahamas) and he was the bank manager, of a bank, in which a very prominent and wealthy family was killed in a tragic accident at sea, and the military is trying to seize the funds, so I have been chosen to hold the funds, till the next of kin can be notified, and I will be very handsomely rewarded.  Gee, Willikers, Buffalo Bob, they chose me out of all the people in the world, wow, now where is my bank account number.  Yeah, you betcha!  I am not a complete idiot!
......some parts are missing.  There were three or four of these, with varying stories, but all included the military was trying to get the huge amount of money, and they were all in Africa.  I am always amazed at the amount of people who every year fall victim to these scams.  Even the found wallet routine is still working!
                                   Wayne

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 03:36:34 am »
I got the call and told him that I would have it in CASH within the hour and he can come right over and pick it up.  Still waiting for him to show.  The coffee is cold and the donut I saved for him is moldy, but the welcome mat is still out there!
Nice one... you can probably put the gun away now :laugh:.
We get endless calls from guys with Indian accents saying they are from Microsoft... I'm sure you can guess the rest.
Best one was an V suspicious E-Mail written in broken English supposedly from a friend of mine's E-mail account saying he'd been robbed at the airport and could I transfer some money to a certain number account.
I said Sure I'd love to help, but can you tell me what our common interest is and where we first met?
What a surprise... he couldn't ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 02:10:08 pm »
My 89 year old mother got a call like that just last week. There have been several other time in the past year. She was in a panic and almost gave them the information this time. Fortunately she told them she was going to talk to me first. They never called back. I try to convince her that ALL of these calls are scams and just hang up but it's so hard to convince her not to be nice. I have to monitor her all the time.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 02:48:25 pm »
Nice one... you can probably put the gun away now :laugh:.
Del

Not a gun, a lovely English hazel bow with some dull arrows I use for spearing half dried doggie doodie in the back yard.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 08:26:10 am »
I just tell them to hold on for a minute and lay the phone down, that ties them up and they make money by making lots of call. I will come back in 15 or 20 minutes and tell to hold again. :) Sometime I keep them on hold for hours. Also when I get credit card info in the mail I will pack the self addressed envelope with paper and mail it back with a big no thanks, that cost them also. >:D
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good