Author Topic: Photos: Russell Cave Flaker photos - FREE RESEARCH INFORMATION for flintknapper  (Read 28033 times)

Offline Hummingbird Point

The difficulty with flintknappers embracing "antler drifts" is that to date no modern experimental knapper has come up with a good explanation of how they are better than what is already being done and how they fit into the knapping process.  This is probably the only forum where I would need to point this out, but we can only have a meaningful discussion on, and most certainly can only experiment on, known methods.  Looking at the possible uses of these antler cylinders I have come up with four known, testable methods to use them: direct percussion, vertical punching, horizontal punching and pressure flaking.  If anyone has other testable methods for their use, let me know and I will try them.  It may be helpful at this point to rank each of those methods on power and accuracy.  On power, from highest to lowest: direct percussion, horizontal punching, vertical punching, pressure.  On accuracy, highest to lowest: pressure, horizontal punching, vertical punching, direct percussion.

Here is what my personal experience has been using "antler drifts" in each of the above methods:

Pressure:  They work fine.  I prefer a sharper tip.  I see no reason for the uniform shape, I just haft an antler tine as is and start clicking away.

Direct percussion:  Hafted to a T shaped handle and swung like a hammer provides lots of power with more accuracy than a billet.  However, since the weight and leverage of the tool is built into the handle, and the antler is simply there to act on the stone, any random, solid piece of antler can be used.  No advantage is gained by the cylinder shape, per se.  Also, the smallest antler hammer I use is a tine three-fourths of and inch in diameter.  I have found no advantage, and some loss in power with no gain in accuracy, in going smaller than that.

Horizontal punching:  They work fine, but:  Again, I use a composite system, so any random piece of solid antler can be made to work.  No advantage seems to come from a cylinder shape.  Once I get more comfortable with the method, I will try a socketed hafting system with a drift type antler end and see if it makes any sense.  I question whether or not the wear pattern on the antler jives with the tools found.  This is still a new method to me, so ...

Vertical punches:  They most certainly work. I have found no reason for the uniform shape though, with most of my vertical punches being less uniform but working just fine.  My attempts to date using composite vertical punches have been limited, but were so bad as to to discourage further testing.  Still, there may be an idea there.  Of the four methods I have tested, vertical punches make the most sense, but the problem is, vertical punching is a very limited technique.  Cushing puts it in the process toward the end, just before pressure flaking.  My testing concurs.  It makes sense for late stage work, on a percussion preform that is at or very close to finished thickness.  It is very valuable for finishing tough rock like quartzite and is used extensively by knappers on stone like that, especially for doing the bases.  (Thanks to Pete Davis for turning me on to that idea, it really works!)  However, as I get deeper into horizontal punching I may end up completely phasing out vertical punching since horizontal punching allows for more power with slightly more accuracy (although on accuracy  they are very close).

So to summarize, I feel like every way I have tried to use these things is like an arrow that is in the paper, but still missing the bullseye.

There are two observations that Ben made early on about the use of antler drifts as vertical punches which I have found to be absolutely true, and may have factored in in the stone age environment.  The first is that (assuming a striker can picked up anywhere) they provide the most knapping for the least amount of antler.  That is, they are the epitome of travelling light.  Second, they are easily the most economic use of antler.  I don't know why, but the wear on a vertical punch is very little.  These things last insanely long.  I still have one I made 5 years ago.  You will wear out a hundred pressure flakers before you wear out one vertical punch.

So the failure (to the extent it actually exists) to embrace "antler drifts" by the knapping community is twofold.  First, modern experimental knappers have yet to show how the tools  fit into the process and how that is an improvement.  The second is that most modern knappers are "quarry knappers" who follow Cushing's model, starting with large pieces of stone and using direct percussion to make the preform.  Over time, they naturally become increasingly better at this process and do not see the value of an intermediary step like indirect percussion.  The value of indirect may be more along the lines of shortening the learning curve and more economic use of stone, especially when away from a good rock source.  These would have been big advantages to stone age people, but are much less of a concern to modern knappers.

Keith

AncientTech

At this point, after five years of study.  I have reason to believe that they were used as bits in larger tools, as pointed out on another thread.

Also, there is quite a difference between embracing a tool, and refusing to look at the boatloads of evidence, which indicates that the tool was used, by past flintknappers, for many thousands of years.

Fortunately for me, I never let the naysayers dissuade me, not even through banning.  If I had ever stopped following the evidence, I would have lost the trail.  Now, I know far more than I ever thought that I would be able to learn - even tine based fluting, and tine-based outrepasse.  Antler drift is the tip of the iceberg, and something more visible, and easy to trace.  And, it is all done with the exact same evidence that flintknappers tried to have banned from forums, between 2010 and 2014.

I have been short good stone for quite some time.  That is going to change, though.  So, we will see how things play out, once I get the stone that I need, for better experiments, with other technologies.

Also, the subject of "horizontal punching" was understood, and recorded, by past observers.  But, it was not called "horizontal punching".  What is happening today is that modern flintknappers are making the same exact mistake that the Europeans did, back in the 1930's.  They bypass the known evidence, and then invent a process which coincides with a known process.  But, since they are not familiar with the evidence (or ban people who try to put the evidence on the table), they do not realize that their "invention" actually coincides with processes that were already known, even just a mere century ago. 

Meanwhile, they come up with new terminology that only obscures the fact that the processes already have names.  Somehow, even when it comes to terminology, the flintknappers depart from long used archaeological terms.  And, NEW FLINTKNAPPERS, end up getting INDOCTRINATED into stuff that puts them at absolute odds with well documented evidence.  This is the worst possible recipe for perpetuating ignorance.  Weirdly, the flintknappers can shout about authentic "point types" all day long, but then turn around and say that no one wants to known how the points were made.  What the heck?  EVERYBODY WANTED TO KNOW how flint tools were made.  Pioneers wanted to know.  Missionaries wanted to know. Farmers wanted to know.  City slickers wanted to know.  Even scientists wanted to know!  Everybody wanted to know.  The flintknappers are the first people in history who have proposed that no one wants to know how stone tools were made, in ancient times.  And, they are also the first people who propose taking the evidence of the processes out of public sight.  Then, they get offended when they find out that archaeologists do not take them seriously.  But, there is a reason why archaeologists do not take them seriously.  It is because of the total disregard for longstanding evidence, that has been around a lot longer than the modern flintknapping movement.  All of the evidence that I cite is going to outlive myself, and every flintknapper alive.  When we are all dead, it is still going to be on the books.  It is not going to go anywhere.  We are the ones who will die, and be forgotten, or maybe even laughed at, one day.  The evidence that I cite will endure.

Here is one example of the "horizontal punch" technique being described by an author over a half a century ago:

"In the flaking of arrowheads of jasper or obsidian, the Hupa used a PEBBLE HAMMER-STONE and a species of COLD CHISEL of hard, HEAVY ANTLER. For the shaping of points the antler was lashed to a handle of wood in a manner almost identical to that of the Eskimo of Northern Alaska. In chipping arrowheads the flint was held in the palm which was protected by a pad of buckskin. The flakes were chipped off by pressing on the edge of the flint with the tool held in the right hand, the ball of the handle resting in the palm. The Apache WORKED IN A SIMILAR MANNER save that two men were employed on the task, one striking the flint with a mallet and a bone punch while the other cradled the flint in his palm. The natural elasticity of the hand enabled the chips to flake off where on a solid support the flint would have broken. Such work, exacting, skilful and requiring like genius, infinite pains, is all but lost today. One North American anthropologist noted twenty three varieties of arrowheads made in this way."

It is a bird!  It is a plane!  It is a "horizontal punch"!  No, it is not.  It is the description of a common flaker being used in two modes - pressure and indirect percussion.  What is the same?  The use of a flaker.  Holding the point in the palm of the hand.  Holding the flaker in line with the edge, etc.  What is different?  Mainly, one mode involves force being applied via pressure, while the other mode involves force being applied via a blow.  Wow.  Big deal.  What we call "horizontal punching" is actually the other side of the coin.  Pressure flakig is on one side, and horizontal punching is on the other side.  This was penned in 1959.  But, Cushing explained the same thing, back in 1879.  Somehow, all of the theories that came out of Europe involved pressure flakers.  But, where is the other side of the coin?  Oh, it was ignored, and the "soft hammer baton" was invented in it's place, around 1930 by Barnes, touted by Leakey in 1940's, further developed by Bordes during the 1950's, and demonstrated by Crabtree in the 1960's, which by the way is what appears to have triggered the modern baton movement.  Again I ask, where is the other side of the coin, when it comes to pressure flaking?  It seems to be gone.  And, today, we invent "horizontal punching"?  One would have to be oblivious to what was known fifty and one hundred years ago, to think that this is how it works.

How about Ishi?  Where are all of the Ishi batons?  Ha ha ha.  There are none.  Weirdly, all flintknappers seem to know about Ishi.  Yet, they fail to miss the most obvious mystery of Ishi's work.  He switched from an antler point, to a steel point, in pressure flaking, because he said that steel remained sharper, whereas antler needed to be resharpened more frequently.  As a result, his pressure flaked points almost look as though they were pressure flaked with a needle tip.  There is no mistaking an Ishi point. 

So, while Ishi worked on one extreme end of flaking - pressure flaking with an extremely pointy flaker - what did he say about making large instruments, and spearheads?  He spoke of something THE EXACT OPPOSITE of what he did.  He said that a small, stout, blunt piece of hard wood, or bone, was needed.  In other words, Ishi spoke of blunt flakers - not pointy flakers.  And, he said that sometimes they would be used like a lever, and sometimes like a punch. 

There was another fellow close to Ishi, who learned to knap during the 1870's.  This fellow was older than Ishi.  He used both point tools, and he used blunt tools.  I have a 21 point step by step description of how he used the tools.  And, it appears that the blunt tools were used in a mode that we call "horizontal punching".  But, actually, the tools are mode in a form analogous to the pressure flaking tools.  Only, when the flaker is enlarged, and a blow is substituted for manual pressure, some other details need to be altered.  Beyond that, it is the same type of process overall, not unlike pressure flaking.  Here are the tools, minus the step by step written description, which I might post when I am unbanned, and other people self-correct their error.

Here is a "finished point", the type made with the tools:

Here are the sixteen flaking tools, with one of the flaking tools still hafted:

Flaking tool still hafted:

And, here are some other items that were shown in a display along with the points:

Since I have the private correspondences that outline how the tools were used, in 21 steps, I can say with fair certainty that the blunted tools were used as "horizontal punches".  But, it was not understood that way.  It was understood as the heavier end of a flaking process, with the lighter end of the process being pressure flaking.  And, the heavier end of the flaking process, was driven by a direct blow to the flaker. 

Also, while this fellow, and Ishi, and others, knew of the original flaking processes, right in to the early 20th century, what they did not appear to know about was "baton knapping".  And, really, why would they need "baton knapping", when they already had something that looked analogous to a pressure flaking process, only on steroids?  As Holmes put it, this fellow's work proved that flintknapping was not a lost art.  It was only lost to those who did not know how it was done.

There are other cases of flintknapping processes that appear analogous to pressure flaking processes, only that are driven by a blow, instead of pressure.  It is not difficult to see why some might have thought of the processes as "pressure aided by blow", since the process could have involved the same type of flaker, and the same type of setup.  But, to create a similar process in modern times, and call it "horizontal punching" completely misses the point.  The point is that the process was previously known as part of a larger process that ranged through pressure and indirect percussion - one overall process with different forms.  And, unless a person understands this, he will not be able to understand either the nature of flakes, or the nature of flake scars.  He might even mistake the "pressure aided by blow" flakes and flake scars as being "baton flakes", or "soft hammer flakes", when they are not.  In fact, if modern flintknappers cannot understand technologies that were used just a century ago, then how will they understand technologies that were used over ten thousand years ago?     

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 09:59:01 am by AncientTech »

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
In that picture with the obvious obsidian ponts (or whatever that material is) I see many antler/bone projectile points as well.  The are called "blunts" in much of the literature.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline turbo

Very interesting, I have tools similar to the antler in the second picture. I initially used them as antler 'hammerstones' but find myself using them as indirect strikers lately. Mine are short pieces of moose antler, one small and one large w/ a lot of mass.

Are they the tools you refer to w/ this quote: "And, it appears that the blunt tools were used in a mode that we call "horizontal punching."

Offline Ghost Knapper

I may have missed it in the long post but the pictures showing tools and obsidian blades are linked to Ted Orcutt. Doing a quick search of his name online will reveal some more info about the guy. Too bad that those 21 steps were left out. Looks like the self censoring continues.

What is wrong with the term "horizontal punch"?  Those of us constrained to discussing and experimenting on known methods have to have some way to describe how the tool is used.   As I already said, if you would like to propose another way of using the tool, go ahead, name it whatever you want and let us test it.

Here is one example of the "horizontal punch" technique being described by an author over a half a century ago:

"In the flaking of arrowheads of jasper or obsidian, the Hupa used a PEBBLE HAMMER-STONE and a species of COLD CHISEL of hard, HEAVY ANTLER. For the shaping of points the antler was lashed to a handle of wood in a manner almost identical to that of the Eskimo of Northern Alaska. In chipping arrowheads the flint was held in the palm which was protected by a pad of buckskin. The flakes were chipped off by pressing on the edge of the flint with the tool held in the right hand, the ball of the handle resting in the palm. The Apache WORKED IN A SIMILAR MANNER save that two men were employed on the task, one striking the flint with a mallet and a bone punch while the other cradled the flint in his palm. The natural elasticity of the hand enabled the chips to flake off where on a solid support the flint would have broken. Such work, exacting, skilful and requiring like genius, infinite pains, is all but lost today. One North American anthropologist noted twenty three varieties of arrowheads made in this way."

The above is a very good example of the problems associated with a research based approach to the problem.  I haven't read through as many of these types of descriptions as you have, but I've been through at least a hundred and the one above is very typical.  It is about as plain as mud.  It comes nowhere close to providing sufficient information to test the idea. I have no idea how you get anything close to a horizontal punch technique from that description.  The tools are not well described.  How the tools are used is not described in detail (Holmes interpreted the Apache method as a vertical punch technique).  No information is given where in the reduction process these methods fit in or the size of the stone tool being made.  Given the late date of this quote, it appears to be be recycled information.  The Hupa description appears to be lifted from Holmes who lifted it from Mason, who lifted it from Ray, the author of the above quote then takes that information and marries it to the Apache flaking method originally reported by Catlin, as if the two describe the same method.

I am unaware of of any clear descriptions of Native American use of anything like a horizontal punch technique.  Please cite any you are aware of.  You say Cushing mentions the method.  Where?  The indirect method he describes and illustrates in The Arrow  seems to clearly be a vertical punch technique.  If you see it otherwise, please explain.  Without applying a vast amount of "interpretation" how do you see anything described in these old accounts that is indirect percussion other than vertical punching?  If you can reinterpret and reinterpret and reinterpret the research, why can't every else?

What straightens everything out is testing.  That is what allows you to quickly sort out what works and what doesn't.  The reason horizontal punching makes sense is because it works.  It does a better job of any other known, published, testable technique of spanning the gap between direct percussion (which may not go any further than taking a spall with a hammer stone) and pressure flaking, which are the two, known, starting and ending processes.  If you have a better bridge across that gap, let's see it.  I don't think you have it, and you know your method won't stand up to testing.  I suspect your method, while it certainly works, is most likely overly complex, convoluted and is based on trying to get a certain kind of flake which doesn't show up on 99.999% of North American artifacts anyway, but, honestly, I would love to be PROVEN wrong on that.  Another thing that makes the various, known, published, testable, horizontal punch techniques work is that they "flow" well, allowing the worker to quickly and smoothly move through the process.  You know, just sort of click along just like you can with direct percussion and pressure flaking.

As to the secret mystery method of making the Ted Orcut type over sized obsidian blades.  First, it's obsidian, you give it a hard look and it flakes, so does the method translate to tougher rock?  More importantly the Orcut stuff is over sized for ceremonial use.  His blades run over an inch thick, which is to say they are basically large, mid-stage preforms.  Most knappers don't have any trouble making thick, mid-stage preforms.  Figure out how the old guys where flattening out these raw cherts, rhyolites and quartzites  down to the 8-12 mm range, and then we have something worth talking about. 

But not to be all negative about things.  The Barrow Point Eskimo tool mentioned above is well described in on of Holmes' books.  In a really rare case, actual measurements are even given!  The description of use is as a pressure flaker, but those of you that have used horizontal punches:  Can you see it?  The spatula end on the ground under the heel or leg.  Look at that wear pattern.  Looks familiar, yes?  (Of course, it can be used as a pressure flaker too just like an axe can be a hatchet, wedge, hammer, knife, etc.)  There's a testable idea.  If anyone gets to it before I do, please report back.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Well said.  I'm curious as to how many Eskimo "pressure" flakers have a spatula end.  I've seen Eskimo flaking tools but that's the only one I've seen with the flattend part.  Seems likely that it is a multi-tool much like many of the hammerstones I've seen that also doubled as manos, for example.

Just for the record, I don't see any horizontal punches in any of the "data" in Ben's last post.  And I'm hoping that no one sees horizontal punches in the photo containing the obsidian points.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Well said.  I'm curious as to how many Eskimo "pressure" flakers have a spatula end.  I've seen Eskimo flaking tools but that's the only one I've seen with the flattend part.  Seems likely that it is a multi-tool much like many of the hammerstones I've seen that also doubled as manos, for example.

Just for the record, I don't see any horizontal punches in any of the "data" in Ben's last post.  And I'm hoping that no one sees horizontal punches in the photo containing the obsidian points.

It is a curious tool, isn't it?  Here's the info I have that links it to the Hupa (a California Tribe): The description of the Hupa falker is given as:
 "...a chipper composed of a crooked handle to which is lashed a short piece of antler precisely similar to those which I collected at Point Barrow." 

He goes on to describe the tool used as a pressure flaker, which is fine, but it begs the question:  If all the tool is is a pressure flaker why go to the trouble of making the crooked handle?

Offline nclonghunter

when applying pressure to a preform or point I would think that flat paddle may feel better against the forearm than a narrow stick. If I had one of those it would be easy to test.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

when applying pressure to a preform or point I would think that flat paddle may feel better against the forearm than a narrow stick. If I had one of those it would be easy to test.

Lyman,

Fresh out of walrus ivory, eh?  Me too.  But I found a piece of red osier dogwood yesterday that is just right to replicate the handle, so I cut it but want it to cure awhile before I run any tests.  Below is a close up of the tool and I think you can make out the text above and below that describes how the observer saw the tool being used.  Note the wear on the bottom of the spatula end.  Also, the angled wear with slight cupping in the antler bit looks like the wear I am geting on horizontal punches.

You should tell everyone your idea on how the "baseball bat" tools were used.  I think your idea on them is very smart.

Offline nclonghunter

Thanks Keith, the long ball bat sticks that Ted Orcutt used and is pictured with his obsidian blades were likely used as chest cructh flakers. There is a picture of Don Crabtree leaning over a piece of obsidian that he was taking blades off of. The obsidian is clamped and he has a baseball bat designed chest crutch. Ted Orcutt has different lengths for different angles and uses.
I believe Don Crabtree also met and observed Ted Orcutt knapping in California so his use is likely influenced by Orcutt.

Look forward to your test of the Eskimo flaker.

Offline nclonghunter

Here is Don Crabtree using a crutch.

Offline nclonghunter

The one with the arrow looks like the one Crabtree is using. If you look close at the bottom of each wooden bat you can see a faint hole. I believe some of these were used as a crutch and some were punches which were struck on top. The flared bases were to allow adding pressure to the punches by hand.

Any other ideas or possibilities I would like to hear them.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
I think like Patrick said they are blunts used as arrow points, not anything to do with flintknapping. They only look to be 3-5 inches long and maybe a 1/2" -3/4" wide at the wide end.

Offline nclonghunter

I do not have the measurements on those blades but Orcutt was making large blades and I would believe those wood tools are larger than 3-5 inches. The ones on the upper level between the blades may be close to those measurements.