Author Topic: Photos: Russell Cave Flaker photos - FREE RESEARCH INFORMATION for flintknapper  (Read 28125 times)

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
 For size reference I am looking at the beads and fish hook.  Which are huge if the blades are the big ones.  To me the pieces look like antler are we sure they are wood? Wish there was a scale in the picture.

Offline le0n

i'm u
The flared bases were to allow adding pressure to the punches by hand.

Any other ideas or possibilities I would like to hear them.

i can imagine that the flared ends were there to:

• deter splitting without having to reinforce/wrap
  • add mass to the end of the tool, near the punch insert
  • provide a rounded impact area that better mates with the rounded striking tool
  • provides a impact area with a critical angle in relation to the punch insert

also, for scaling purposes, the fact that these blades are leaning against the backdrop can hint to their size. you wouldn't lean small points for a display, you'd lay them flat in a case. on the same token, you wouldn't lay these artifacts down in a case because the viewer would have to be able to lean too far over the exhibit to view the artifacts.

yeah, that's no creek hook. it's hanging on the back drop.

the grass skirt material can be used as a reference object too.

AncientTech

Someone mentioned that the wooden objects may be smoking pipes, and not flakers.  I have contacted Karok people in the past.  There are still some.  And, I have not been able to get much more information about the flaking processes, from modern day Karoks.