Author Topic: Hickory flatbow tiller?  (Read 4842 times)

Offline DanD

Hickory flatbow tiller?
« on: December 07, 2015, 10:07:01 pm »
This is my 4th bow I have made and the 2nd from a stave and was wondering what everyone thinks.i think the top limb is stiff, but hard to tell, it looks good on the tree.
It ended up 40lbs @ 28" 67" ttt 1 1/2" limbs to 8" from tip. The tips and handle are not shaped yet.

So I would like some thoughts from everyone, good bad or ugly.

Dan
http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah150/dodged645/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-12/51B2F4DF-3BD9-49DB-8C42-37A914799A80_zpsidepg6ps.jpg[/img]
Some things in life change but my love for archery never changes

Offline PatM

Re: Hickory flatbow tiller?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 10:40:27 pm »
 Mid to outer limbs are way too stiff for your limb profile. Upper limb is bending too much in the inner limb as well.

Offline DanD

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 11:01:08 pm »
Thanks for your input Pat, I kept swapping tiller between limbs when I got to full brace and came up light on weight. I was trying to keep a stiff handle and tips but now that I look at it the outer limbs are stiff and a lot of bend out of the fades. If I try to shave some out of the outer limbs will the weight drop more? If so what are my options.

Thanks for you advise.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 02:03:06 am »
Get your mid limbs and out bending, you will lose weight for sure but learning proper tiller is much more important than making weight on an off tiller bow.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 08:18:00 am »
Its a nice design and you did a lot of things right.  You are further along then a lot of people on their 4th bow.  I did the exact same thing on my one and only lever bow and I ended up piking, tempering, and retillering it to get it somewhere back to where I wanted it.  Not sure you can do that but either way wizardgoat is right--tiller takes precedence over draw weight.

Offline scp

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 12:45:26 pm »
For the fourth bow, I would just heat treat the belly and after some sanding, call it done. I like long stiff tips.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 01:13:47 pm »
  How much set did it take? If you are allready down to 40# I don' think I would want to drop it much further chasing the tiller. I would start another and enjoy this one a bit while you are working on it. If it didn't take a lot of set those stiff outer limbs will shoot nicely.

Offline DanD

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 04:34:18 pm »
Yes I think it has a lot of set, but I'm new at this bowyer stuff, so not sure, I did bend 3" of reflex in the bow and it has sinew on it. Tillering is the toughest challenge for me because I'm not really sure what kind of bend to look for on a certain design bow. I think I went to fast after brace and was getting frustrated, I should have stopped and worked on the next day or when I felt in the mood to tiller.
Anyway I do have 2 other staves roughed out with the same dimensions, 1 is hickory and 1 is osage( saving the Osage for last in hopes I get better at this tillering)

Thanks everyone for you help and encouragement, and please let me know what you think as far as set in this bow

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 07:20:49 pm »
   Naw, that isn't  A LOT of set.  Some, but not a LOT.  And it looks like Mollie, less than a flat bow.  On those, a nice smooth arc, almost circular is right for the entire part of the limb that bends.

Next time, make yourself a tillering gizmo, or even just use a slat of wood to check the curve as you go.  The tips should be stiff, putting the bend in the inner limbs, but you got it a little bit TOO inner.  Still, I've seen worse.

So, look at your full draw pic.  Mentally divide each limb into three sections.  Starting from the handle, the first and second sections bend the same, the third is the lever and is stiff. 

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 07:50:33 pm »
Looks pretty close for a mollegebet tiller,just go to get the outer limbs doing their far share!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 08:54:15 pm »
That's a lot of set for a sinewed bow. The sinew is probably masking a fair bit of it too.

Offline DanD

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 09:46:38 pm »
Well I think I might just shoot it as is, it does shoot good compared to the oak board and hickory board bows I made, and learn from this mistake, hate the fact that I wasted valuable sinew.
This is the back profile so you all can see by all the other pics the type of bow I was trying to make I really want a stiff handle and tips with nice bend in the working limb. But it bent to much out of the fades and not enough by the tips. I will try again and sooner or later I will get 1 right.
Thanks guys for all your thoughts and help.

Dan

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 10:09:07 pm »
 You can see where your sinew in the outer half is just dead weight. You can just soak off sinew and re-use it. It's never wasted.

Offline DanD

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 10:49:32 pm »
Pat the sinew is wasted because I used tbIII and will not use that again, I will use hide glue or gelatin glue ( forget the name of it).

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 02:11:47 am »
The levers look really wide. If Dan tillers of the sides of them could he not get a little bit more flex in the outers? 6 ???
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb