Author Topic: faux snakeskin backing  (Read 8014 times)

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
faux snakeskin backing
« on: December 09, 2015, 08:26:55 pm »
Some time ago I posted about a red oak board bow that I was going to back with hickory and faux snake skin for a friend of my wifes boyfriend or some such. I finally got the hickory in after a month and emailing the company I purchased from several times with no response. Anyhow last night I glued it up and put a little straight reflex in it by propping the tips up and just clamping down the handle. I have looked around online and can not seem to locate a video or tutorial on applying this faux snakeskin. Seems to get pretty good reviews and I know you can use titebond but thats about all I know. Anyone use this and have some tips?
This is also the first bow I have backed with hickory. Should I sand the edges of the backing to prevent splintering or would that be counterproductive?
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
Re: faux snakeskin backing
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 08:54:25 pm »
I've applied one with TB 2. It turned out ok.  I got the backing wet or damp and applied glue to both surfaces laid the backing on and smother it out. And then wrapped it with an ace bandage.  I wouldn't use the ace bandage because it was hard to clean up afterwards. You might be able to use bed sheets. Tab will shrink so keep and eye out for gaps.  Anyway that's what I did it turned out ok. It might have done better if I had done it before.  Good luck!
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Doc

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 09:30:50 pm »
I assume this is cloth with a snakeskin pattern on it. Do you know what the cloth is? Polyester?

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 10:00:39 pm »
I assume this is cloth with a snakeskin pattern on it. Do you know what the cloth is? Polyester?
Yes they are cloth. I am not sure what material but I assume polyester
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 10:34:35 pm »
I used cotton rattler skins on a bow last winter.  I used TB glue.  It set up fast.  One thing I would have done different was to put a coat of finish on the cloth backing before sanding the edges.  It wanted to fray a little bit when I was trimming them up.  Here is a link to the build-a-long with the cloth skins

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,44744.135.html
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 10:48:32 pm »
I used cotton rattler skins on a bow last winter.  I used TB glue.  It set up fast.  One thing I would have done different was to put a coat of finish on the cloth backing before sanding the edges.  It wanted to fray a little bit when I was trimming them up.  Here is a link to the build-a-long with the cloth skins

Thanks again!
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 12:10:05 am »

You just put the TB on the back of the bow and then the back of the fabric and pressed it on?
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 04:14:34 am »
Yes and work it from end to end and side to side just to be sure you get all the air bubbles out, also as Clint said be careful with the edges, the will fray and kind of thread out if you sand or file like you would on a normal snake skin.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 03:34:12 pm »
Got it glued up. I think it will come out ok for my first time. Clint was right that TB dried fast in thin layers like that. Once it dries should I spray the skin with deft first and let it dry before I trim the edges? I figure to use an exacto.
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 04:36:49 pm »
No reason you cant get that fabric wet just like we do real skins. It will allow more work time.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 10:02:48 pm »
What do you think about a thin layer of TB on the outside of the skin to give it some shine? Would this work or just turn out dull?
I kind of forest gumped my way into doing a great job on it. When I glued it up and was getting the air bubbles out I kind of wrapped the excess around the sides. It adheared by the excess glue that dripped down the side. The backing was completely dry but the glue on theexcess glue that dripped down the  sides had not completely dried. It was firm and the white was gone but not hard. All I had to do was put my exacto flush with the side as to shave the glue off and off came the overlaping "skin" It is seamless with no fraying. I probably went about the whole thing wrong but the end result was a lot better than I expected.
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 10:20:07 pm »
I don't think TB will give it any shine. 

I mix a few drops of water in my TB glue when using it for gluing down backings.  It gives it a bit more working time before it sets up.

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 10:40:05 pm »
What about salad bowl varnish? I have some I use on cutting boards. Dont know how it would look over fabric but it dries clear and shiney. The Deft didnt do much for it.
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 10:42:00 pm »
What about salad bowl varnish? I have some I use on cutting boards. Dont know how it would look over fabric but it dries clear and shiney. The Deft didnt do much for it.

No clue.  I've never used that stuff.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 10:42:52 pm »
Do you have any scraps of the fabric?  Glue it on a piece of wood and use that to experiment on.