Author Topic: faux snakeskin backing  (Read 8013 times)

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
Re: faux snakeskin backing
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 11:01:19 pm »
Do you have any scraps of the fabric?  Glue it on a piece of wood and use that to experiment on.

already done lol. ill let it dry and see how it looks in am
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 11:09:48 pm »
  I've only used 1 fabric copperhead skin. Just last year on a Osage bow. My first and last I couldn't stop the fraying. Sucked ended  up OK after I but a boarder on each side.

You don't back selfbows. I do but on snake skins now and then but for camo.

Backing a bow only shows you suck at picking stave's ,designs or you need to slow down, shape bows ac oarding, then slowwww downnnnnnn and learn to tiller.

Not cracking on you or anyone else for that matter.

Just saying if you have to back a selfbow your doing something wrong.

Unless your at that stage in your bow building. Or your one of people how just can't write it off and build another bow. You just have to save it.  Nothing wrong with that I guess.

Just not my way of looking at and building selfbows.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 06:59:03 am »
  I've only used 1 fabric copperhead skin. Just last year on a Osage bow. My first and last I couldn't stop the fraying. Sucked ended  up OK after I but a boarder on each side.

Backing a bow only shows you suck at picking stave's ,designs or you need to slow down, shape bows ac oarding, then slowwww downnnnnnn and learn to tiller.

Unless your at that stage in your bow building. Or your one of people how just can't write it off and build another bow. You just have to save it.  Nothing wrong with that I guess.

Really?  I try to ignore your posts because they are mostly nonsense but this one I can't. There are many bow designs that need a sinew or rawhide backing.  Why did the Native Americans sinew back their short horse bows or P.N.W. paddle bows?  I don't think it was because they sucked at picking out staves or didn't know how to tiller.  Maybe you only build one style of selfbow that doesn't need a backing but that doesn't mean everyone else does.  And the bow he is backing is a board bow, not a stave.  The fabric backing is for cosmetic reasons.  It isn't for adding protection.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:05:03 am by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 07:07:41 am »
Yep Clint, me also. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 01:25:26 pm »

It is a board bow backed with hickory if you bothered reading. Im definitely no expert but just about every self bow I see pictured on this site by people who DO know what they are doing has had a backing of some kind weather it is for aesthetic purposes or not.

Anyhow Clint, I used the salad bowl finish on the skin and it looks good. Shined it up a bit but not glossy enough to reflect light. Im not hunting with this one anyway.
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 01:59:03 pm »

Im definitely no expert but just about every self bow I see pictured on this site by people who DO know what they are doing has had a backing of some kind weather it is for aesthetic purposes or not.

I wouldn't say that but those that are  backed with non-aesthetic material would not be considered selfbows anyway.

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 02:35:27 pm »
By aethetic I meant backing one with sinew, or real snakeskins, or rawhide or something for looks as well as functionality even if it doesnt necessarily HAVE to be backed. If a bow made from a stave is backed with one of these does that technically not make it a selfbow? I have always been a little confused as to exactly what makes a bow a selfbow. I have seen some refer to it as a bow made from a stave and others refer to them as any bow made by oneself. I always thought it was the first one.
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 02:46:52 pm »
If bow is backed with snake skins I'd say it is a selfbow with a snake skin decoration. If with rawhide I call it a rawhide backed selfbow and with sinew I call it a sinew backed bow(self is a given for me unless otherwise indicated). Rawhide adds no performance but good protection and sinew is added for performance but will protect also.
 Bows with other backing materials like silk, linen, burlap, etc. I call silk backed selfbow or whichever. Bows with wood or boo backing I call hickory backed(or whatever wood)bow or boo backed bow.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 02:48:31 pm »
I wouldn't sweat the differences or what anybody thinks about your bow build. Build what you like. Who cares what classification it fits. Its simply your bow with whatever backing you choose or don't choose.

Roy doesn't mean any harm, he just struggles getting his words across.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 04:30:24 pm »
By aethetic I meant backing one with sinew, or real snakeskins, or rawhide or something for looks as well as functionality even if it doesnt necessarily HAVE to be backed. If a bow made from a stave is backed with one of these does that technically not make it a selfbow? I have always been a little confused as to exactly what makes a bow a selfbow. I have seen some refer to it as a bow made from a stave and others refer to them as any bow made by oneself. I always thought it was the first one.
  A selfbow is a bow that stands on its own made with one working material. A person isn't that likely to add anything unless deep down they think the wood needs a little help.
 Unless there is some contest where the types are separated into classes it's not worth worrying about.
 If there was a class for selfbows made with one material you're going to have a hard time convincing anyone that your bow is sinewed just because you like the look of it.

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 06:58:58 pm »
  A selfbow is a bow that stands on its own made with one working material. A person isn't that likely to add anything unless deep down they think the wood needs a little help.
 Unless there is some contest where the types are separated into classes it's not worth worrying about.
 If there was a class for selfbows made with one material you're going to have a hard time convincing anyone that your bow is sinewed just because you like the look of it.
gotcha
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7