Author Topic: Tiller Check: Hickory D-bow  (Read 3155 times)

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
Tiller Check: Hickory D-bow
« on: April 17, 2016, 02:22:35 pm »
Heh guys,

I have been working on this Hickory D-bow and I wanted to get your input on the tiller. Yesterday I tillered it to full draw, 55#@29" and shot 50 arrows out of it but the bow is rather loud and the string vibrates upon release, which I should probably consider to be handshock, and I shot this bow for distance yesterday alongside a rawhide backed ash I made previously to compare the two. The ash is 59#@28", 62" long ttt, and has 2 5/8" of set whereas this bow is 65" ttt, 55#@29", and has 1 7/8" of set. This bow shot an arrow approx. 120 yards and the ash bow shot an arrow approx. 131 yards. So I'm thinking my tiller needs to adjusted. I'm thinking that my tips are the problem. Today I shaved a little wood off the tips and shot the bow once again, about 26 arrows this time, the bow is still loud and I feel the handshock, but I started to get frustrated so I put the bow away and decided to pick it up again when I'm in the right mind to do things right instead of living with it. Your advice and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Tiller Check: Hickory D-bow
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 03:20:39 pm »
That bow is real close to being a really good bow.  I think the right limb could stand a few scrapes closer to the fade to even it up with the left.  I doubt it would have taken much set if you wouldn't have left it hooked on the tiller tree at full draw for the pic.  I never leave a self bow at over 20 inches of draw for more than a few seconds.  Weight in the tips and too heavy of a string can rob the bow of cast.  I don't blame you for not settling for anything but perfect tiller.  Once the limbs are bending evenly and your brace and nocking point are good, and those tips are thinned right, and a proper string - that bow should shoot sweet.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 03:27:20 pm »
I agree with Howard and the tips look a bit stiff.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 03:29:14 pm »
Aaron,
I do not see anything wrong with that tiller. Looks pretty good.
I'd remove as much wood from the last 8 in of each limb as I could without affecting the tiller. I'd use a scraper.
Then, I'd look to the arrows. How heavy are they?
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 03:33:47 pm »
Yep, arrows that are too light will rattle your teeth.  My first shots are usually with a six hundred plus grained arrow.  Easier on the bow and the shooter.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 04:13:38 pm »
Are you shooting it with that washer in the string? Because that will mess up the feel of the shot. A guy tried that a while ago, and when he got rid of the washer, his problems went away

Offline ajbruggink

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 04:21:00 pm »
Are you shooting it with that washer in the string? Because that will mess up the feel of the shot. A guy tried that a while ago, and when he got rid of the washer, his problems went away
No I'm not shooting it with the washer on the string. The string with the washer on it is my tillering string, I use this method because I suck at tying timberhitches, I always make a seperate string for shooting.

Offline ajbruggink

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 04:35:53 pm »
Aaron,
I do not see anything wrong with that tiller. Looks pretty good.
I'd remove as much wood from the last 8 in of each limb as I could without affecting the tiller. I'd use a scraper.
Then, I'd look to the arrows. How heavy are they?
Jawge
They are in the neighborhood of 525 grains

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 06:30:59 pm »
You could go to 550 grains. I do not think I would mess with the last 8 inches on second thought because that area has already taken some set. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 12:57:24 pm »
I have to request please, for everyone's benefit, that when you post pics asking about tiller, that you PLEASE include a front profile picture.  Tiller only matters as it relates to front profile.  I know you mentioned it was a "D" bow, so the experienced bowyers get a general idea what that means, but I can't tell if your side-view bends are correct, unless I see the front.

For instance, your tips, even the outer 1/3 of the limb almost look stiff to my eye for a "D" bow, but if they are also narrow, then it's appropriate.  It may even make it a different style than a "D" bow, strictly, but appropriate.  Anyway.

Overall, it looks like you have a slightly stiff middle and ends, and you are working the middle section of each limb pretty hard.