Author Topic: spectra bowstrings  (Read 8698 times)

Offline jeffp51

spectra bowstrings
« on: December 09, 2015, 11:05:57 pm »
Just made a bowstring from 65lb Powerpro (spectra) fishing line, as I was told it is the same as fast flight.  I definitely like the lack of stretch compared to B-50, but I am still working out thicknesses.  I used 12 strands and padded the loops with b-50.  However--after serving the middle it was still too thin for my arrow nocks.  Double serving the nock resulted in too much thickness--my arrows are now too snug.

Am I okay with 10 strands for a 55 lb bow? 
How many strands and how long should I make my loop padding?
The string Mike Roberts in England made for me for my trade bow is a work of art in itself.  Mine are serviceable at best.  What is the secret to clean, pretty bowstrings?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: spectra bowstrings
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 12:25:38 am »
Try a breaking test of one strand.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 07:39:27 am »
You are better off making this material into an endless string and using a thicker serving material.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 08:33:18 am »
Also serving can come in different diameters too.Which you may know.I use .018 thickness.I triple serv the area where my arrow nock goes and my fingers touch.That fits my self nocks perfect,but not those plastic arrow nocks though which I never use anyway.The little round file I use for the nock in arrow shaft making is just right for that and matches the diameter of my serving.You will have to experiment with it to get it right.
BowEd
Ed

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 10:46:08 am »
No Photos? What is the line strength?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 10:56:42 am »
Bee's wax is the secret. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 11:16:44 am »
To getting it to fit tight Pearly?Beeswax?
BowEd
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 11:25:31 am »
Yes sir. Its keeps the bundles nice and hard.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 11:39:29 am »
Use an endless loop method and serve it with the same stuff.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 12:31:16 pm »
No Photos? What is the line strength?
65lb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 12:40:34 pm »
I question the cost savings. I think a guy will spend more on fishing line than a Sale spool of D97. Most no stretch fishing lines go for $15-25 for 125 yards. An average string requires about 16-18 yards of line.

Offline Aries

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 12:51:15 pm »
I'm a little embarassed I have been making endless loop style strings with artificial sinew exclusively since I began making bows 12+years ago. Do yall think this type of low stretch material in an endless loop style would maje any notable improvement in performance?
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 01:05:40 pm »
I question the cost savings. I think a guy will spend more on fishing line than a Sale spool of D97. Most no stretch fishing lines go for $15-25 for 125 yards. An average string requires about 16-18 yards of line.
It's the availability for some guys.   Ordering and shipping for some guys is more of a hassle than just going to a local store and grabbing some spectra, particularly for those from non-archery areas.

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 01:08:12 pm »
I'm a little embarassed I have been making endless loop style strings with artificial sinew exclusively since I began making bows 12+years ago. Do yall think this type of low stretch material in an endless loop style would maje any notable improvement in performance?
It will although by making an endless string already you are eliminating some of the bungee cord characteristics of stretchy material.

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 01:43:16 pm »
It's the availability for some guys.   Ordering and shipping for some guys is more of a hassle than just going to a local store and grabbing some spectra, particularly for those from non-archery areas.

I think most of the gains from fast flight come from using a skinnier lighter string. I think it works out to be a gain of about 1 fps per strand of string removed. A lot of the tests done using fast flight are done with 8 strand strings.