Author Topic: I need some advise and pics  (Read 26491 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: I need some advise and pics
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2016, 05:15:10 pm »
Will, unfortunately it is difficult to get smooth surfaces with the paper mache over chicken wire so I'm saying he borrowed his big brother's stockings.  ;D  The boots are similar to some I saw on line in some old pictures from links earlier on in this thread. They do add some character if not precise. I guess I won't be totally exact.
 Glad I got the gambeson correct.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WillS

« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2016, 05:21:57 pm »
It's alright I was being overly picky ;)  I think it looks great!  Will there be a belt with pouch and knife? 

FWIW boots are a big argument point for this period!  There's not a scrap of evidence for full boots and yet it seems they're far more popular than the more accurate style.  I guess Hollywood has a lot to answer for! 

Be glad you're not doing a Viking - everywhere you look it's leather and fur until you dig deep into actual primary sources!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2016, 05:34:47 pm »
I will have a belt, knife, sword, pouch, ax and 6 arrows. these will all be 3D and separate from the figure. The arrows won't have real feathers like the Eastern Woodland Hunter had. I'll cut out fletching of paper and draw on the thread wrap. Haven't decided about the arrow heads yet. The bow is Pacific yew and the "horn nocks" are painted on. No bow string but the appearance of a full drawn bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2016, 01:05:34 pm »
Very nice indeed. It makes me feel very patriotic too! :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: I need some advise and pics (finished on pg. 5)
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2016, 02:46:11 pm »
Well, I think he's finally done. The first pic is of the archer's kit; sword and scabbard, dagger and sheath, war ax, helmet, buckler shield, 6 arrows and the yew bow. The arrows are not near to scale but I used bamboo skewers and that is as small as I could get.

...and Thomas Archer(wife's suggestion) in full regalia...

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2016, 03:11:00 pm »
That looks fantastic!

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2016, 03:33:01 pm »
The arrows may not be as far out of scale as you think, some of those war arrows look more like broomsticks than arrows lol ;D

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2016, 06:41:32 am »
He looks great Pat B, very nice work and really like the details on the kit. With stakes hammered in ol' Thomas looks to be loosing arrows in a muddy campaign field.  8) (arrows and bow looking pretty cool)

Ruddy Darter.

Offline WillS

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2016, 07:32:12 am »
That's just so cool.  I'll take one, for the workshop  ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2016, 08:41:53 am »
Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2016, 10:12:06 pm »
I hadn't been following this Pat....that came out great.  Really respect your attention to detail sir!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2016, 09:52:29 am »
Wow Pat, that thing turned out great!  I'll take two