Author Topic: Tiller check and a question  (Read 2804 times)

Offline dylanholderman

Tiller check and a question
« on: December 12, 2015, 10:02:03 am »
Hi guys I've been working on this one as I have time. I think that the tiller is pretty good but I wanted to a second opinion before I call it done :)
Also it's taken about 1 1/2 inches of set, I was thinking about heat treating it into a mild amount of reflex. But I don't really want to bump the weight up( right now it feels like upper 40s to mid 50s )
Bow is 62 1/2 inches ntn bends lightly in the handle wood is more honeysuckle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tiller check and a question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 11:03:23 am »
Tiller looks good Dylan. Tempering the belly will increase the weight but only by a few pounds. You can easily take a few full length scrapes on each limb to reduce that.   1 1/2" of set isn't bad and if the bow shoots well, I'd leave it alone.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 04:19:51 pm »
Looks great to me mate- enjoy!
I'll have to keep a look out for some honeysuckle. It seems like good stuff!.  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 04:39:15 pm »
Very nice. Tiller is right on. Jawg
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 06:44:19 pm »
Without an unbraced and braced profile it's hard to tell.
Assuming it's straight ish it looks good. How does it shoot?

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 12:03:35 am »
Braced and unbraced :D also belly? Profile.

Sieddy
it is good stuff at least I think so ;D look around for it in older neighborhoods ( think like 60-70s) it was planted as a ornamental at that time.
Winter/when the leafs start to turn is the best time to cut it, if you cut in the spring or summer you will need to rough it out right away to keep the checking under control (this stuff can crack down to the pith in the same day you cut it, if it's a warm spring day.) if you want any tips on working the stuff send me a P.M.

Pat and goat
I'm pretty happy with how it shoots, earlyer today I shot a verity of arrows from it( a light bamboo arrow on one end and a heavy 23/64 wood shaft that's 30in long even tho I wasn't drawing it back that far ) they all shot pretty well from it with the heavier arrows dropping sooner but that's too be expected. Over all very little handshock even with the half inch washer on my tillering string :)

Offline steve b.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 03:01:12 am »
Its a decent bow.  All that really matters is if you are happy.  Could it have been better?  Probably.  Could it be better?  Maybe.  Not sure if the set is partly overstressed areas or natural deflex.  And I'm not sure the upper fade or handle is working as much as it could or should.  I would probably significantly heat it with a little reflex and after a few days carefully work the tiller again hoping to lose any crushed belly wood and getting the handle a little more involved. 

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 07:31:18 am »
Tempering it now can still help it...but i find doing it before the wood starts to take set to have snappier limbs imho.

At this point it's up to you what ya want to do with it...a few options already previously mentioned that are all right things to do with it.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 08:12:40 am »
Nice bow.Dress er up a bit if you want.1.5" of set is kinda the TBB standard and not too bad.To take less set I suppose it would be made a little longer and the previous advice taken into account.Which would be very hard here to do here as it's pretty knarly crooked stuff. I'd like to try that honeysuckle here too as it grows around here.Like you said I'd have to look at old abandoned farm places that were established long ago.I remember I used to make sling shots out of it when I was a kid,or at least a smaller kid....lol.
What was the washer for?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 08:14:01 am »
Bet that is a smooth shot. I like it if you like it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 11:30:30 am »
i went back and forth before  finally deciding to heat treat it last night.
 about 25min per limb, how long should i wait before stringing it back up?