Author Topic: Scraped waaay too much... burn it?  (Read 8056 times)

Offline Loope

Scraped waaay too much... burn it?
« on: December 12, 2015, 10:12:19 pm »
Oops, got carried away with the rasp and thinned the limbs way too much and way too quickly.  I did too much on the long string without a scale, and once I braced it, realized right away what I had done.  I messed with it a little more to see what I could salvage, got it to length and shot it some.  It is whip tillered and hinging on the right limb.

What would you do... just burn it...  have fun breaking it... shoot it till it blows... or anything else cool I can do with it?

Flowering dogwood, pyramid style, 70" nock-to-nock, 8" handle/fades, limbs 2" wide tapering to 1/2", currently 40 pounds at 27"

Pictures are unstrung, braced, and full draw.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Scraped waaay too much... burn it?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 10:24:55 pm »
You could experiment with it.  Try steaming some recurves in it.  Temper it.  Then you could pike it and re-tiller it.  A messed up bow is a chance to try out new things and learn from it.  You might find a way to salvage a decent bow out of it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 10:30:10 pm »
  Cut it down to about 62", heat treat and fix the tiller.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 02:15:19 am »
All of the above... treat it as an opportunity for experimentation, that way you get some use out of the work you've put in.
Or make it into a kids bow or a short (low weight) flight bow.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 02:45:34 am »
No, don't burn it.  That bow deserves to live despite the abuse it has taken.  And yet it has no set. 
Get some of the power out of those lower limbs, maybe even shorten the handle in doing so.  I would do what Badger wrote, maybe even shorter.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 07:21:33 am »
Ditto on all the above...only thing i can add is to never pull a bow that far with a hinge like that,and dont pull it any further than when a flaw in your tiller is detected.....if ya left it the way it is that right limb is gonna show more set there over time and more use.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 08:33:45 am »
I do not see any hinges, It is whippy. Get the near handle wood bending. Use a scraper.
Then, think about piking it. You will gain about  5# for every inch taken from both ends.
Go slowly.
What I've found is that once the tiller is fixed the stave "perks up".
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 09:57:14 am »
Heck, if you don't want to finish it you can trade the bow to me for some whitetail back sinew. I'll trim it down to 60 inches, heat-treat and re-tiller and I'm guessing she'll make a nice hunting bow. PM me if you're interested in that idea. What's the front-view profile look like?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 12:24:48 pm »
its not that bad really,,, the above suggestions are great,, there is a bow in there,,
may I add,, you could also cut it shorter and sinew back it and get quite a bit of weight,, you have lots of options,, it aint broke,,,, :)

Offline Loope

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 01:00:33 pm »
Thanks guys, I like the suggestions.  I had almost resolved that it was done for, but now I think it will become a project to see how much I can get out of it.  I am not emotionally attached to this piece of wood and could throw it away, but it takes me quite a few hours to get to this point with just drawknife, so I like the idea of seeing what I can do now.  I think I may even be a little excited to look at it as a challenge.

I think I may take all the suggestions... I need to get the inners working more, shorten the handle area a little if I can, pike it, temper, and recurve it some.

Thanks for all the input.  It still may not survive, but I will give it a try!

Michael

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 01:04:11 pm »
Yeah I agree. Pike it and fix the tiller, get it working a little closer to the fades. Its not as bad as I thought based on your description. I think you still have a chance at a good bow. like everyone else said too, its a chance to experiment and fine tune some other techniques.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 01:21:43 pm »
I would never burn or break up a bow just because it came in under weight. As you see there are plenty of other options. If it is too light, find a kid that's needing a bow. If it breaks, study the break and see why then make an atlatl out of the good half.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 02:48:12 pm »
  I'd set it in the corner to be finish later as a kids bow.

Learn from the exsperance move on to the next bow.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 02:51:55 pm »
how do you like working with that dogwood? I'm just finishing a dogwood bow myself - love the density of the grain and the way it carves and scrapes.
If It were mine and I wasn't attached to it, I'd "see what it can't do", by flipping those tips. With the extra length It'd give plenty to work with if
you decided to take some off each end.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline scp

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 04:51:47 pm »
It's long and wide enough to become a good bow almost at any draw weight. How strong do you want it to be?