Author Topic: What if things went south, could you handle it?  (Read 12408 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

What if things went south, could you handle it?
« on: December 17, 2015, 10:07:49 am »
I guess I am a closet prepper, no real stockpile but definitely know how to accumulate one from my little piece of land. I have all the right armament and know how to use it, bows, arrows, lots of lead, flint rifles and BP. I grow a big garden every year to can and freeze stuff and have a freezer full of wild game.

I keep a stockpile of snares and traps, just in case. I once worked with a commercial fisherman who taught me ins and outs of freshwater commercial fishing. I live about 1/3 of a mile from a huge lake and keep a 300 hook trot line that has never been in the water, complete with a jump box on the ready, again, just in case.

I think about having a 55 gal rain barrels under my downspouts. This would supply me with 550 gallons of water in a pinch. I haven't moved on this one yet but one has to have contingency plans.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 10:11:55 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Josh B

Re: What if things went south, could you handle it?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 10:34:25 am »
That's a question that rarely leaves my mind.  I even have contingency plans in place on how to get home if it happens when I'm on the road.  However, I won't be discussing any stores, stocks or strategies here.   Without proper OPSEC one could find himself in a much worse defensive posture against those who didn't think it would happen.   Lord knows I hope they're right!  Josh

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 10:55:17 am »
I don't get into it that far. But, I am fully confident I can live without power or people due to my skill set. Fire starting should be number one. You cant eat, drink or stay warm without it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 10:58:40 am »
Always hope against hope that it never comes to that, ...but IF and WHEN it does, I like to think I'm ready-ish.  Never can be ready enough.  There is NO DOUBT that the whole current life style thing would have to be immediately shit-canned as soon as the balloon went up.  ...but the most important things to have stored up are not really 'things' at all.  What would likely be most critical is knowledge of skills and the mental discipline/attitude to execute the contingency plans effectively.

OneBow

BTW :  +1 on the imperative of good OPSEC Josh.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 11:05:26 am »
Someone clue me into what OPSEC is

JacksonCash

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 11:06:51 am »
Operational Security

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 11:07:01 am »
I agree with OneBow, knowledge is the most powerful thing you can arm yourself with.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 11:07:25 am »
Got it,  thanks Jackson

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 11:17:44 am »
Yeah but I'm not going to elaborate, fire food and water are number one, security should be an everyday thing
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 11:42:42 am »
Just knowing how to make reverse twist cordage is invaluable. Us primitive weird-o's are VERY far and few between. We will become quite a popular lot when it all goes down. There isn't much most of us cant do. Shelters, weaponry of all sorts, fire, cordage, knapping, brain tan and all. We live amongst a bunch of "dummies" that are totally clueless without city water and a Bic.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 12:50:33 pm »
<snip>Us primitive weird-o's are VERY far and few between. We will become quite a popular lot when it all goes down. <snip>

That concept of making oneself 'popular' to others is exactly the sort of strategy that makes a person and those he cares about more survivable.  Now don't laugh, but such is exactly the reason I have taught myself how to build and operate a still and cultivate tobacco seeds.  :)  People are eventually going to want to enjoy the new lives they have after the SHTF phase wears off.

OneBow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 12:55:49 pm »
I could live without electricity or running water. I usually have a garden each year and lots of critters in our woods for food if needed. We have a stream running through our property that doesn't see another person until it gets to us so lots of fresh water, although I would boil it before consumption. Lots of fire wood for heat and cooking if necessary.
 If the doodoo does hit the fan big time, I want the first bomb to hit me on the head. I really don't want to see society deal with such a situation.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 01:00:23 pm »
I like to think I can, but only being in the thick would prove it or not. I have about 15 days worth of emergency food, and enough fishing experience and gear to get me through. I have a few bows, and arrows, and the skill to make more arrows if need be.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 01:42:45 pm »
If the doodoo does hit the fan big time, I want the first bomb to hit me on the head. I really don't want to see society deal with such a situation.

Civilized society.....very few realize just how fragile of a concept that truly is.  It wouldn't/won't take much to shatter that notion.  The short answer to Eric's question is no.  I am not prepared to handle that situation.  I used to think I was, but the more I learn the more I realize that I need to learn.  I don't know how many times I've heard someone say," when the bubble busts, I'm coming to your house!".  That's not good.  With our complete reliance on technology and the  "just in time" business model that nearly every business in America runs on....I'm scared to death nearly every day.   Do an honest evaluation of your skill set, available logistics, dependents, health care requirements and your ability to secure all of it(especiallly if you are close to an urban area) I think you'll find you are nowhere near prepared to handle it.  I've hearr r d vague  unthought out  plans that range from city folks fleeing to the country to plains people fleeing to the mountains.  Foolhardy at best.   Think about it.  Josh

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 01:43:15 pm »
What exactly is the "it" that is going to happen? That probably means I am in for it if "it" does.