Author Topic: Improving ABO tools  (Read 11461 times)

Offline jkyarcher

Improving ABO tools
« on: December 20, 2015, 09:20:52 pm »
I was wondering if anyone had advice on improving antler/bone tools. I don't have a lot of experience but have successfully made

some points. I had been using antler tools starting out just because I had some laying around but got some copper recently and

was surprised at the effectiveness and ease of use. Anyways I was wondering if this was typical or if my antler tools just weren't

made well. I would like to continue using antler tools just because I like the "primitiveness" of them but was wondering if anyone

had advice for improvement.

Offline jayman448

Re: Improving ABO tools
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 11:03:12 pm »
Ive not really used abo but ive heard that when you go to sharpen the flakers you should attempt to burnish the tip somehow. Again i have next to no abo experience tho

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 11:57:23 pm »
Natural materials can be improved by drying them thoroughly.  Some call it "curing" but it's not an exact science.  I just throw stuff in the dehydrator and call it good.

Anyways, I'm sure others will chime in soon.  But I will be dissapointed if someone says "dip the tips in super glue".   :(
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 05:00:06 am »
There are a lot of improvements starting to happen with abo. It seems lately many good abo knappers are developing tools and techniques that are producing amazing results. I really recommend that you watch JackCraft's video he posted recently on abo tools. I also recommend marty Rueter's videos and when Tower post some of his new ABO points and tools that will all help you. I have been working ABO for a number of years and if you search my post you will see a number of tools and ideas that I have been working in.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 05:03:32 am »
Every knapper has a little different approach. I never sharpen my antler tip. I might change that method in a week but for now that is how I am working.

AncientTech

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 09:27:12 am »
I was wondering if anyone had advice on improving antler/bone tools. I don't have a lot of experience but have successfully made

some points. I had been using antler tools starting out just because I had some laying around but got some copper recently and

was surprised at the effectiveness and ease of use. Anyways I was wondering if this was typical or if my antler tools just weren't

made well. I would like to continue using antler tools just because I like the "primitiveness" of them but was wondering if anyone

had advice for improvement.

Hello JKYarcher,

Don't feel too bad.  Ishi also abandoned abo tools.  He used a steel tipped pressure flaker.  But, what is interesting is the reason why - steel did not need to be resharpened so frequently as was common to antler tipped pressure flakers.

Also, you are speaking in very general terms.  If by "abo" you mean "antler batons", there are a number of archaeologists who have noted the complete lack of flintknapping batons as a culturally predictable trait, even in late cultures, such as Woodland cultures.  There are still other archaeologists who have proposed that soil acids ate the batons - in spite of the fact that ever other type of antler artifact can be found in scores of museums.  And, there are still other archaeologists who do not believe that baton knapping was ever employed, possibly because the practice was invented in England, during the 1930's, by researchers.  I think it has also been admitted that the while the baton de commandante of Europe could have made a good "baton", signs of baton use wear have never been found on such artifacts.

So, when you say "abo", maybe what you think of as abo really isn't abo at all.  Maybe some so-called "abo" practices are really modern ideas, and modern practices.

The late Philip Churchill told me years ago that modern knappers found that they can get a better flake scar - or more authentic flake scar - with copper percussion.  I have never used copper percussion, myself.  But my guess is that between an antler baton - as invented in England, during the 1930's - and copper percussion, the copper percussion will probably involve a smaller initiation, versus a larger flake scar, than what is typically made with an antler baton.  And, for people who are trying to match artifacts, "the ends justifies the means".

Also, if you are interested in "aboriginal American" flintknapping, as carried out by prehistoric/protohistoric/historic Native American flintknappers, it would be worth pointing out that there was a major disjuncuture between American archaeology, and modern American flintknapping, between the 1960's and 1980's.  I would say that over the last hundred years, American archaeologists have done a pretty good job at narrowing down predictable abo flaking tools, that have been recovered in certain contexts, from thousands of archaeological sites.  And, by the 1970's, archaeologists were asking flintknappers for help, in understanding how the tools might have been used.  At that point, the baton-experienced flintknappers seem to have rejected tools that they historically never understood.  So, if you are trying to understand aboriginal American flintknapping, you have to go back and see where the American flintknappers bypassed the known evidence, a few decades ago.

Here is a prime example, followed by critical evidence that is lacking from scores of subsequent flintknapping publications that span the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, 2000's, and 2010's:

“Then there comes the subject of “antler drift.”  What is an antler drift?  I have been knapping for 23 years now, and though I have seen dozens of antler drifts illustrated in archaeological reports, and have made up some myself, I have to this day to find anything that I would use them for.  Would the archaeologist who so cleverly informed us as to their use please stand up and verify?  Or is it the term rather than the tool which is archaic?”…”Yet, the site reports come pouring forth with poorly drawn projectile points illustrated upside down , with bifaces being called “blades,” having been flaked with “antler drifts” in holding positions that would only produce gravel, broken tools,  or a lot of blood on the hands of the maker.

Yet, isn’t it a little bit our fault that we have let writers get away with this recycling of old myths?  How many of us write in and complain to the publisher about the antiquated information relating to flintknapping found in their books?  Sure, it is the duty of the writer to research this, to go to the knappers, and get their OK or advice on this or that aspect.”  (Flintknappers Exchange, 1979)
[/b]     

Since then, the flintknapping community never made much progress on what is probably the most commonly found antler flaking tool, known to eastern North America.

So, to sum it up, maybe not all of what is called "abo" is really "abo".  To an anthropologist, "aboriginal American flintknapping" refers to authentic flintknapping tools, and flintknapping practices, that were used by Native Americans for thousands of years.  For other people, "abo" might not mean much more than non-copper/natural tools. 

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 10:29:17 am »
If you read the archaeological and anthropological literature, you will see that the authors define their own terms and criteria.  What this means is that they are not all on the same page.  They also like to form "camps".  They sit around campfires, so to speak, and discuss their findings.  Sometimes they badmouth other camps.

You won't find anything on how to improve the tools in this literature.  So, the best way to go about this is to improve your skill at using natural materials.  This means lots of practice.  After a while you will see that there are limits to what the tools can do.  Once you understand these limits, your knapping will improve greatly.

But increase in skill is not the cure-all.  There needs to be a positive mindset.  Sometimes a knapper will get good results with a new tool (or material) and start doing very well with it evn though the skill level is at the beginner level.  Why is that?  Often, the novelty of the new tool produced a positive mindset.  This positive mindset translates into more confidence.  And confidence is the greatest weapon in your arsenal.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 11:49:03 am »
No substitute for practice. With practice you will open doors to other processes you never thought possible. My next challenge natural materials creating narrower notches
Also x2 on JackCraft's post.

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 05:57:36 pm »
jkyarcher,

I must begin with an apology.  You ask a basic, straightforward question and want a straightforward, pratical answer and I have nothing to say along those lines other than to agree with what iowabow and JackCrafty have already said.  So, I'm going to go flying off into La La land with my response.  I understand that is annoying when you just want a simple answer, but please bear with me.

What you have experienced is typical.  In my own bizzarro head I have come to refer to it as "the elephant in the room of modern flint knapping."  (Copyright pending.)  Why is flint knapping so hard to learn?  Back in 1976 when the great modern knapper and college professor Errett Callahan was teaching college students to knap he observed that the average student took 28 hours and 281 pounds of material to reach a 45% success rate at thinning bifaces.  Everyone that has ever knapped knows where the problem area is.  Learning to make a biface up to the middle stage, what you would call a mid-stage preform, is fairly easy.  Most self taught knappers get there in a few months.  Doing basic finish work (not counting all  the fancy artsy-fartsy stuff modern knappers love) like pressure flaking to create a straight, sharp edge and some basic notches or stem for hafting, is also learned fairly quickly.  What jams everyone up is that magical area where you go from the still fairly thick mid-stage preform to the fairly thin late stage preform.  Again, we focus on the finish work, but where "all the money" is at is in that late stage thinning.

There are two basic approaches, then, to deal with the larger idea behind your question.  One is to say that the current model for "abo" knapping is correct, which is direct percussion by hammerstone and/or organic (antler, wood) billet up the late stage preform, followed by finishing by antler pressure flaking.  Under this model, it is, in fact really that hard to learn and you just have to suck it up and put in the time and shred a lot of rock.  An argument could certainly be made that we are are making it hard on ourselves because we are trying to learn it as adults, work many different kinds of stone, are trying to replicate the best of the stuff that was made, etc.

The other approach is to say the currently accepted model has something missing.  I take that approach.  I think I am on solid ground saying AncientTech takes that approach, and I believe JackCrafty does as well.  Actually, since it is kind of an "elephant in the room" I would imagine there are many modern knappers that think along these lines.  Here's where I, personally am at with it:  I think the model is right up to the mid-stage point.  I think it makes the most sense to get there by direct percussion.  I don't like the billet idea any more than AncientTech does, substituting a hafted antler swung like a hammer instead, but I may very well be the only man on Earth advocating that approach, so won't linger on it.  I like pressure flaking and vertical (aka "peg") punches for finish work and resharpening.  That still leaves the "elephant in the room" which is how to go from the mid-stage preform to the late stage preform.  Yes, I can do it with my antler hammers, with a high degree of success, but that came with the high expense of time and wasted material, and even with lots of practice, there is still a bit of a "wall" there, or maybe I would say a bit of a gap to be bridged.  Currently I am learning horizontal punching and that may be the tool that bridges that gap.

Regardless, I am convinced there is more to abo knapping than the current model.  I apologize again for taking your simple question and spinning off into space with it.

Keith

Offline jkyarcher

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 07:02:58 pm »
Thanks for the info

I guess I should clear up I was talking mainly about pressure flaking tool.

The antler doesn't seen to cleanly remove flakes as often as th copper. I just didn't know if I needed

To adjust length width of tip or something. I guess though maybe copper is just more effective.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 07:03:48 pm »
If you are asking if ABO tools can be made to perform just like copper tools then I am going to say "No". You can get to the same results which is a finished point but the use and results are going to be different. If you are asking if ABO tools can be shaped to make them work better then I am going to say "Yes". Antler tips and antler bases can be shaped to work for different purposes. Rounding the ends, squaring the ends, attaching to sticks and so on. Even different stone hammers will perform differently. I first figured a couple antler pieces would be all I needed but with time my ABO knapping kit has grown into a large collection of varying pieces which some are for certain uses.
Everything written above has years of expierence attached to their replys. We are lucky they are willing to share and teach. Thanks guys!
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

AncientTech

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 08:33:54 pm »
Thanks for the info

I guess I should clear up I was talking mainly about pressure flaking tool.

The antler doesn't seen to cleanly remove flakes as often as th copper. I just didn't know if I needed

To adjust length width of tip or something. I guess though maybe copper is just more effective.

Aha!  We are talking about "pressure flakers"!  That narrows it down quite a bit.

JKYarcher, let me tell you a secret.  Generally, in flintknapping publications, antler tines have been suggested as pressure flakers, at least over the past fifty years.  In reality, if you look at a couple hundred site reports, you won't find the type of tine flakers that have been represented as pressure flakers.  Also, if you look at modern knappers attempting to use "tine flakers", you will see that they struggle with the chewing wear on the tips, and with flakes that hinge, and that do not run to completion.

I am not saying that the tine flaker was never used.  Only, we do not know that it was used at the same stage, or to the same degree, that modern knappers have tried to use it, in the past.  My theory - which is tentative - is that tine flakers may have been used by the "average indian" in retouching edges.  The reason that I say this is because 19th century Indians sometimes demonstrated the use of the tine flaker.  But, this could have been a common form of retouch on an already thin finished edge, that had become dull.  I am not 100% convinced that it was a regular part of reduction.  Also, it would seem that sharp tine flakers were more commonly used on brittle materials, such as obsidian.  But, maybe they were not so commonly used on hard cherts.

On the other hand, there is probably stronger evidence of the use of composite bit pressure flakers, right alongside tools of indirect percussion, in the chert bearing areas of North America.  But, even then, I can show you site reports which show tools of indirect percussion outnumbering the composite bit pressure flakers, by 100 to 1.   

So, if you are trying to use antler flakers on hard chert, and you are not getting good results, it may just be that ancient knappers did not use them at the same point in reduction that you are trying to use them.  And, if "aboriginal" is taken to mean an authentic part of one's culture, then maybe what people have tried to do with tine flakers is not aboriginal, in most instances. 

On the other hand, if "aboriginal" is taken to mean "non-copper", then everyone will have a great deal more leeway to do pretty much anything, regardless of whether or not it was ever done in the past.

Also, between indirect percussion, and pressure flaking, it is possible that the results might look very similar, especially when the contact areas of the tools are of the same shape.  But, I think that there are some telltale signs of differences.  So, even if you look at ancient flaking that looks like pressure flaking, it may not be pressure flaking at all.

For example, erratic rippling in a flake scar could be a sign of shock.  And, shock is produced by percussion and no so much by pressure.  Also, in indirect percussion, if an antler upon antler blow is employed, the flakes come off faster, and the flake scars show much more rippling.  Also, due to excessive energy, the flakes will run farther, frequently until full termination.  And, the initiations will sometimes show diffuse shallow bulbing. 

If you keep these details in mind, you can go back and look at artifacts that supposedly were pressure flaked.  And, you will be able to see signs of percussive forces that were employed, though probably via indirect percussion, in many cases.  Again, these signs are excessive erratic rippling, longer than normal flaking, and diffuse bulbs of percussion showing either in the flake scar, or on the flakes.  Once you recognize this in looking at artifacts, you will understand that not everything that is assumed to be pressure flaking really was pressure flaking.  Then, you may have to re-evaluate what constitutes "abo"?  Were they doing something that we do not yet understand?

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 08:43:37 pm by AncientTech »

Offline jayman448

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 09:41:41 pm »
Ah hell. Im sure the same way none of us shoot the same in this modetn age, not all knappers knapoed the same way back then. And its probably very region specific. Chip and smash and make a killer. Whatever works

AncientTech

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 09:43:26 pm »
PHOTO FOR VISUAL LEARNERS:

Hello JKYarcher,

The flaking on each side of this point was made with a deer tine flaking tool.

Look at the four large flakes on the right, versus the small series of flakes on the left. 

One set of flakes was made via pressure.  The other set of flakes was made via indirect percussion - with the same tool.

Same tool - small antler tine - two completely different processes.  Here are the indirect flakes highlighted:

Look how different they appear, compared to the hingy little flakes, seen on the margin, on the left - same tool, different process.

Here are the pressure flakes:

If any person saw the deer tine tool used to create the indirect flakes, he would surely say that it is a "pressure flaker".  He will say this because he was "taught" about pressure flakers.  What he was not taught was that even in the early 20th century, people still remembered that a flaker could be used either as a pressure flaker, or as a tool of indirect percussion. 

So, if you are struggling with pressure flaking your stone, you may want to try to come up with forms of indirect percussion, to see whether it is more efficient, or more effective, than pressure.

By the way, I think I made this in 2012.  It is not "ideal" for many reasons.  The indirect process would not work for outrepasse - maybe coast to coast at the most.  Still, I think the piece illustrates the difference in flaking, made with the same tool - deer tine. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 10:58:49 pm by AncientTech »

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 10:28:48 am »
My beginners 2 cents. I started with a very short antler for a flaker. It works, but is very hard on my wrist, as all of the leverage comes from my wrist. I can run longer flakes with a 40 inch copper tipped flaker, but that is a matter of leverage. Also, Copper is going to be smaller than Antler most of the time. Smaller point, smaller area to put pressure on. I try to use the very tip of my antler flaker to pressure flake. I slowly moved from copper boppers to hammer stones. From copper tipped flakers to antler tines. I have gone through a lot of stone.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.