Author Topic: Flintknapping rule breaker  (Read 7256 times)

Offline Zuma

Re: Flintknapping rule breaker
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 08:34:37 am »
I don't look at it as a fault/blame issue.
We all  do it at one time or the other.
I think it's a cool topic.
Thanks for not taking offence.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline ekalavya

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 11:02:15 am »
Eurocents .... the 1 , 2 and 5 one are actually copper plated steel and it is quite easy
to make arrowheads out of them only using a vice , a file and a saw

usually bottle bottoms are bend in two ways and maybe it is easier to get the lentile
form out of some glas bent in only one direction ...

i want to restart my flint knapping and i think best material would be bottle glass bent
in only one direction and the arrow heads to be as broad as the little finger ...
(why longer than 1" or 3/4" ?)

try again and don't forget to sharpen your pressure flaker from time to time

Offline Locogear

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 11:29:03 am »
Maybe I'm just making it too hard on myself lol, I use antler for my pressure flaker and an oak billet with a copper cap, and a flat head screwdriver for my notches. Maybe I should invest in some PVC and copper nails and stuff?

Offline ekalavya

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 06:30:15 am »
steel nails are alright and useful for that purpose ....
until know i never found out why copper should be used ... i doubt it
is a requirement ...
sharpening and the right technic is more important

there is this guy who calls himself "allergic hobbit" who but the ishi stick between his knees
fixed the position on the flake and then with the other hand he beat with a useful piece of wood
(he made videos and put that on youtube)

if you can make large and long flakes exactly where you want them with ease ....
that should be it ....

it is said , some people hardly need to pressure flake ...
some say and wrote that grinding out the shape before is almost like cheating , because
the flakes so easily want to come that way

Offline Locogear

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 11:15:35 am »
I see, I'll have to look him up and see how he does it, thanks

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 11:22:19 am »
Allergic hobbit is our own jackcrafty and has lots of helpful stuff at the top of the page, i think even some links to hi vids
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 12:31:03 pm »
We have all been where you are.  The next step is to NOT GIVE UP!  Pursue flintknapping for the art form and challenge, not for the cheapness of producing arrowheads.  This will inspire you more.  Research and watch youtube videos.  Then get some plate glass maybe coffee table or something. Cut glass to shape and work on pressure flaking. Dont expect to get hunting points just yet.  Ive been knapping for 3 years and just now am satisfied with hunting quality points.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 12:35:42 pm »
Long, long ago, in an issue of Primitive Archer far, far away....

There was a guy that wrote an article about casting tool steel replicas from original knapped stone heads.  They were heavy as boat anchors, but if you like high F.O.C. arrows, how wonderful is that?  Still, the cast metal edges cannot replicate what the fractured stone edges do. 

Keep knapping whatever you can get your hands on, even if it is only a stale soda cracker!  Consider it homework, paying your dues, or earning your keep.  When your points are good enough, the deer is not going to refuse to die because it was toilet tank ceramic and not aboriginally mined Glass Buttes obsidian! 

And don't forget to post pics for those of us that can't read.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2015, 10:01:44 am »
If you have a way to grind hard material, there are lots of things that you can use that are historically accurate like slate, seashell, antler, and bone.  You can also grind down flint flakes.  And you don't have to knap the edges if you can get them thin.  All these have been used in the ancient past.  They might not be legal for hunting but they look cool.

On the modern side, floor tile might strike your fancy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byKXPn1BDzI
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2015, 12:54:53 pm »
  25 Years ago when I started knapping no web. So getting rock was't so easy as now.

I was always out and about doing something. I hit every old dump I could find. That 100 year old glass lots big bottles and jugs lots colored. Older glass was made and tempered differently you get longer smouther flakes. Where todays glass flakes come off short and fat.

I made 100's of glass heads. Shot 2 does, 1 buck and a jake with glass heads. lots rabbits ground hogs all with glass heads.

TRY THIS

I've made trade points for 15 years. Cut out of old cirlur saw mill blades. Old 1095 steel is a good blade stell. You can aneal,cut,out harden (add carbon) and temper in your home over to about 53,54 RWH about as hard as wallmart knives. Soft enough that your adverage joe can sharpen easy'ly.

I like 16 th inch and use the HOWARD HILL 3 TO 1 1 wide 3 long.  Through the years I ended up with 1 1/8 wide, 2 3/4's long. I've killed a dozzen bucks and as many doe's. Not sure what they weight. I hav'nt weighted a head,shalf,spined a arrow for my self in 15 years.

Were not shooting 300 fps at 70 yards.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING