Author Topic: Overall length of foreshaft arrows  (Read 4554 times)

Offline 89JeepYJ

Overall length of foreshaft arrows
« on: December 22, 2015, 03:14:29 pm »
I have partially completed a primitive arrow with the mainshaft at 23 1/2" made from a honeysuckle branch.The foreshaft is about 7 1/2" made of hardwood. So overall length is about 31". I shoot arrows that are 29 1/2".

Does that sound about right? Not sure if could go with a longer mainshaft or foreshaft. There's a lot of honeysuckle bushes around where I live.

riverrat

Re: Overall length of foreshaft arrows
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 06:06:10 pm »
is the forshaft permanently glued in? or changeable?. if its glued in your fine if its removable you want your shaft at least as long as your draw.Tony

Offline Thunder

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 10:19:10 pm »
I  make my main shaft a little longer than my draw length, for safety (I dont glue my foreshafts in).
Your foreshaft length will depend on foreshaft/point total weight and main shaft spine. You might have to try a couple different combos to get the arrow flight you like. I posted some foreshafted arrows recently, if you'd like to take a look, Foreshafted Tonkin Cane is the subject title I think. Ask questions if you need to and post pics.

Cheers
Thunder
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline 89JeepYJ

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 12:43:53 pm »
Riverrat, I'll be making removable shafts. I read honeysuckle isn't the best arrow material, but there's a lot of it growing here with straight branches. I'm gonna go harvest a lot of it next chance I get.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 02:05:08 pm »
Are you speaking of Amur Honeysuckle as I have heard good things about that particular species.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline 89JeepYJ

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 12:03:59 am »
Yes, I believe that's what it is. Grows like crazy around Deer Creek State Park here in Ohio. I got 19 shafts last time I was down there. I would've collected more but it was getting dark. I read about honeysuckle used as a bow wood. Good to know because I saw some really thick straight pieces of honeysuckle, I'll have to go back sometime and cut them down.

It seems dense and strong, but flexes well. How ironic that I passed up honeysuckle so many times. About a year ago I took some branches of honeysuckle and flexed them. Didn't even know what the stuff was a the time, I passed it up because I heard a lot of cracking as it flexed. Turns out the cracking noise was the bark coming off.

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 01:33:09 am »
I made a honeysuckle bow that had a  natural, slight recurve. had a high crown, as is typical of the species , but it shot well for an overbuilt bow. it finally gave up, I believe because I didn't use a good design for such a high crown, and maybe because the linen I used for the backing was of poor quality. [the only other bow that had that material on it also broke!]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 01:45:09 pm »
I would consider the fore shaft as part of the point and not the arrow so I'd spine the arrow with consideration for the weight of the fore shaft and point.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 01:46:09 pm »
sounds similar to how I do all mine...spine cane shaft heavy...about 10 lbs to 15lbs over.. reason when you add foreshaft it will bring spine down to your range... my draw is 26.5 I cut cane at 25inches and spine from 60 to 70 lbs..bows are in 50 to 55 lb range...my foreshafts are about 3 to 4 inches sticking out of cane and could be as long a 7 inches with cane butting against a node..... which is a critical point....gut