Author Topic: broken tip  (Read 2274 times)

Offline helmet

broken tip
« on: December 24, 2015, 11:49:22 pm »
This is a 10lb kids bow made from vinemaple, the tip has been broken, is there any way to fix this. Any input would be helpful, we tried gorrilla glue and wrapped with artificaial sinew saturated in tightbond and it did not hold up.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: broken tip
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 01:35:28 am »
Maybe super glue the break and use real sinew soaked in glue to wrap it. I dislike gorilla glue. It seems to brittle for most bow making applications and likes to snap and pop.

Aside from that you could glue on new tips. There's a tutorial floating around here somewhere, but with a 10# kids bow you may just want to make another one.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 07:49:46 am »
If Gorilla glue, art sinew and TB didn't hold up to a 10# bow? You're not going to fix it. I would just grab another sliver a make another. Looks like dog chewing from here.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 04:57:58 pm »
you might have to splice on another tip.. or at least ad an overlay to get it to hold,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 05:30:30 pm »
Is it cracked across the back or just on that one side?
 You could reduce the back side of that tip and add a "splint" to it with a thin piece of the same wood. TB glue would work for that especially if the splint was long enough and tapered to nothing on both ends.
 Artificial sinew would be too stretchy and would "give" too much for this.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 09:22:48 pm »
It's up to you but i would build an other
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 10:38:31 pm »
Sometimes I wonder if repair tricks are pushing bowmaking to the side.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 12:34:22 am »
It definitely can take time away that could be spent on the next build, but it's natural to want to take every effort to salvage all the work you've put in. I think that instinct lessens with each bow that gets built, as skills increase and build times get shorter. I would wager that even the best builders have a failure that's hard to let go from time to time.

Also some of the fix it tricks require more skill and attention than the build itself. In the end, it's all useful experience.   
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 08:57:37 am »
Looks like a gonner to me, but, you could always do a patch job like this and probably keep the bow together. There is very little of the original bow limb left where this one broke. The break was a split and loss of wood from the tip down the limb about 6".

Offline helmet

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 11:39:31 am »
Ok folks, thanks for the help, that gives me some idea. This is a bow my brother in law made for his son. I was hoping for a quick and easy fix cause I know its real special to my nephew. Any way we probably start looking for a nice straight sliver.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 09:04:18 am »
  Build him another bow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING