Author Topic: osage flatbow tiller check (finished pics)  (Read 12018 times)

Offline Badly Bent

osage flatbow tiller check (finished pics)
« on: December 25, 2015, 11:02:33 am »
Merry Christmas everyone hope your day is merry and bright.

I'm thinking I may be in the shop finishing the tiller on this bow tomorrow and looking for some thoughts from others on the tiller before I take it out to full draw. I'm making this one for the guy who made it possible for me to get a truck load of osage and hackberry at a construction site last year, this is the first bow from that wood harvest. He's a compound shooter so I thought this style of bow might be the most forgiving of a shooter for a possible convert. I'm estimating he will have a 27"-28" draw.
Specs as the bow currently sits;
-sizable propellor twist mostly removed with dry heat but no heat treating done at this point
-approx. 2.5" of reflex was added and currently holding about 1.25" (tips in front of handle)
-deep handle flatbow design with a cut in shelf
- 64" ntn and currently at 19.9 oz. mass weight
-only drawn to 22" so far and feels around 45# @ 22" (the goal is around 50# at 27")
- braced photo is at a low brace, probably about an inch short of what full brace height will be

Any suggestions on the tiller of this bow and whether you would heat treat or any other tips are welcome.
Thanks fellas.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 11:19:38 am by Badly Bent »
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Badly Bent

Re: osage flatbow tiller check
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 11:04:00 am »
drawn to 22" (tiller check)

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 12:05:44 pm »
   I like that type of tiller on a bow. Not absolute perfection in the tiller but plenty good enough. I think the bow will shoot great. I could be wrong but I find bows with just slight differences in upper and lower limb tillers seem to not have any handshock. Any time I get the " perfect" tiller I can feel a little "kick" in the bow. The ballance looks good.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 12:21:56 pm »
Is the bow beginning to bend at the end of the fades?
Looks a bit stiff there. Other than that...looks really good. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 01:05:29 pm »
I'm liking the second draw pic better than the top Greg, maybe a couple scrapes mid out but thats all, have you put any arrows thru it yet if if feels good I'd strech her out
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 02:13:07 pm »
Thanks for the response Badger, I'm never sure how even I have my limbs bending relative to each other. The top limb is around 1-1/8" longer than the bottom and right now the top limb has just under 1/8" positive tiller compare to bottom. There is a natural deflex/kink about 10" below the handle that I think makes the measurement read closer than it might actually be.
 I'm curious to know if you think the mass weight is in an acceptable range for this bow.

George, I'm not sure it is bending into the fades yet, I have a hard time judging that. I tiller with the bow drawn by hand and not on a tree so I can't really see subtle limb movements even when looking in the mirror. Thanks for suggesting this, I was thinking I could get it working a bit more there.

Bub, it still has a bit of prop twist with each limb twisting slightly in opposite directions, I try to average it out by viewing drawn photos from both sides. I put a hand full of arrows through it at 20" draw and 47# pull and the hand shock was nasty. I worked on the tiller more and got it out to 22" and about 45# at that draw length and it tamed the shock down. Still a little more thump in it than I find acceptable, but could be because I still had it braced a little low.

My next step is to sand the belly and edges smooth and maybe do a bit of heat treating. Sounds like maybe I should stay away from mid limbs and remove a bit at a time from outers and fades to get a few more inches of draw. Then see how it shoots before taking it to target weight and full draw.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 02:47:31 pm »
  I would figure about 19 to 20 oz for that bow so I would say you are right on.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 03:20:59 pm »
I think your outers need to move more. I would temper and put more reflex in out to tip  >:D   I think that would also help with midlimb set

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 04:55:37 pm »
the unbraced profile is pretty good,, so it must be bending pretty even,, if it shoots good and is not shifting,, seems to be a nice bow
some of the other guys see some things and their suggestions are great,, really hard for me to see the fine points without holding the bow in person,,,, congrats on a nice bow,, to me seems like the left limb ( bottom)has a bit of reflex on the outer and that may be making it seem stiff in the draw pics :)

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 06:06:50 pm »
Greg t o me it seems flat at about the 2/3rds out mark on both limbs and is starting to  go weak in that dip below the handle so be carefull with it
almost there ,it will soon be flinging arrows
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JonW

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 07:41:59 pm »
I like the tiller so far. I think the same as Jawge. Get it working more in the fades the last few inches. I say that hesitantly until @ 24" of draw and further as I could change my mind.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 08:22:19 pm »
I like it.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bushboy

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 10:33:42 pm »
Looks good!the stave has a far bit of character as long as the limbs are holding their shape i'd say I like it also!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2015, 08:03:09 am »
I don't see anything I would change Greg. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 08:34:20 am »
Looks good to me!
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking