Author Topic: osage flatbow tiller check (finished pics)  (Read 12019 times)

Offline Badly Bent

Re: osage flatbow tiller check
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 08:47:32 am »
Thanks for the insights guys, I'm hoping to get a kitchen pass today to get in the shop and work on this one later.

Paul, I know you like your heat gun buddy. >:D If I can get this one evened out I may just heat in a tad more reflex before I draw it out further.
Brad, I know what you mean about the difference between holding the bow in hand and viewing a photo, hard to judge the feel
from a pic. That bottom limb has a bit of a concave back in the last 12" and is already thinned more than the top, it may have to show more stiff than the top when the bow is finished.
Guy, The belly has some evening out to address with some sandpaper to remove some scraper dips before I go any further, hopefully that will help with the flat spots.
Jon, I'm gonna work slowly in the fades when I approach full draw I think.
Thanks Bryce
Rob, Your right it does have a fair amount of character, I don't think final tiller will look even and smooth when done.
Chris, Thanks, I hope I can keep it bending well to full draw without adding any hinges.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2015, 08:32:19 am »
It is looking great Greg.  I like Paul's idea - a little extra reflex induced now won't hurt a thing, especially if it's new owner wants to pull it back to his ear ;D.  It is good to see you making such a different style of bow from your usual creations.  I can't wait to see this one all dolled up.  Looks like that fellow hooked you up with a lot of fine bow wood!  Being new to this style of archery, I bet he has no idea how fortunate he is to have a bowyer of your caliber to set him off in the right direction. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2015, 10:37:50 am »
Howard, I took Paul's suggestion and put it back on the caul yesterday and heated in more reflex. 55 minutes per limb of heat treating, took it off the caul a couple hours after it had cooled, did some more scraping and stretched it back out to the 22" draw
and 46# there. It's holding most all of the newly induced reflex so far. Should be ok to hit my target of 50# at 27" if I don't tiller any hinges into it.
Badger, thought I'd let you know I discovered  the mass weight reading I gave you was wrong, seems I had the digital scale set on troy oz.  ::) It would probably be to my advantage to pay more attention to these details if trying to follow the mass principle.
Right now it sits at 21.4 oz. and I still have a ways to go on wood removal, I think I'll still be in the ballpark when finished.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2015, 07:11:17 pm »
..... I can't wait to see this one all dolled up.  Looks like that fellow hooked you up with a lot of fine bow wood!  Being new to this style of archery, I bet he has no idea how fortunate he is to have a bowyer of your caliber to set him off in the right direction.

Yes!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 11:09:55 pm »
Did a deep heat treating and added another inch or so of reflex into her saturday. Did some more work with the scraper and sandpaper and have it drawing out to 26"draw & 50# now. My goal was 50# at 27" so I think I'll put a bunch of arrows through it at 26" draw and see where it settles before tillering to 28. I've only put a few arrows through through it at close range indoors at the shop so not really sure about arrow cast. Tiller comments welcome, as I'm not sure if I like the way this one looks at full draw. I can say it draws very smooth all the way out but I won't know if it's any kind of a performer until I get outside to launch a few arrows. Mass weight right now is just under 20 ounces.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 12:05:51 am »
Like your top view profile style and tiller.Nice bow.Shoot a bunch through her.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline chamookman

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 03:59:28 am »
Shooter Her in Bud - looks pretty darn good to Me. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2015, 08:27:11 am »
  I am sure you cast will be pretty good. The bow looks good and that tiller shape shoots good.

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 08:37:31 am »
I like it Greg, did the hand shock calm down?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2015, 09:31:25 am »
Nicely done. Love the wood harvest pic as well. I've been waiting for the 1st frost to finally arrive so I can cut some black-locust.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2015, 09:43:45 am »
I think I have the hand shock tamed a bit, won't know until I shoot it some more and right now the weather is a bit to miserable for me to be out there testing a bow. Winter finally made its way to our neighborhood. :)

Offline JonW

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2015, 11:41:15 am »
You are gonna have a nice bow there buddy. Shoot it she's good to go

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2015, 01:58:23 pm »
looking good Greg! does it feel weird building a  bow with a handle? ;)
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2015, 06:25:20 pm »
feels strange Cody, a handle and a cut in shelf.  :o  Next thing you know I'll be doing glue ups and splicing billets.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2015, 06:51:01 pm »
feels strange Cody, a handle and a cut in shelf.  :o  Next thing you know I'll be doing glue ups and splicing billets.

Now Greg ....we must keep an open mind.... ;D :) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking