Author Topic: Big camp knife (FINISHED)  (Read 19805 times)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Re: Big forged camp knife finish-along
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 12:21:41 am »
sorry guys been away at other towns lately, finding time here and there to work on this though.  ::) it's nearing the end of the journey though  O:)

This is what it looks like straight out of the oven after tempering. It's a little deeper of a straw color than you would want for a smaller knife ( there's even some tiny spots of blue here and there but not much.) I'd rather have the insurance of a springy blade over a brittle one that will break if you look at it wrong, so tempering was a success.

The blade is quite straight but very slightly warped to the right. we'll fix that the second time it goes in the oven.

The second time it goes in the oven I clamp it to a slightly curved piece of steel. I clamp it so that the convex of the blade's curve is facing the convex of the steel's curve, as the steel will need to be over corrected slightly.

After I take it out of the oven it's straight to polishing again. I take the good ol' sanding block and go at it. To remove all the evidence of heat treatment. At this point I'm just going for a rough finish.

I then rough in the final edge bevel with a sanding disk on an angle grinder. Be VERY careful not to overheat the edge at this point. The high rpm's of the grinder make it very easy to ruin your entire heat treat. I dunk it in snow every few passes and work without gloves to feel the metal. During the winter this sucks but it's worth it.

This is going to be a chopping knife so don't go for anything too acute on your edge. You want it to be able to slice but not to be so thin it chips, which is partly why we forged the bevel quite thin in the first place (less resistance to material as the blade cuts it.)

After that I run it on the belt sander a bit to even things up, then it's to the wet stone. i just have a cheap one I make do with. I got it to the point where it could cut paper but nothing special, just a pretty dull utility edge.

I find this one of the most enjoyable parts of the process, testing the blade. You really get to see how it holds up but it's still not as good as it will be when there's a handle on it, comfort-wise. I wrapped some paracord around the handle to make chopping doable.

That sapling looked tempting so in I go.

After a few chops it's down. The wood is frozen solid so it's actually quite hard to chop.

Some bending in a gnarly piece of apple

Since we have now confirmed the blade is badass enough we will start work on a handle, which is my least favorite part, at least the beginning. Polishing it up is awesome but making everything dead flat and getting the glue up right can be very annoying and takes a while. Specially when you're making your own scales like I decided.
I begin by roughing out a split piece of apple. This also tests the blade.

Further work with a rasp reveals it's a pretty nice piece of wood.

I'll post more maybe this weekend, until then I'm busy 24/7. Hopefully I can get the handle glued up this sunday. I really can't wait to chop with a nice comfortable grip, it's a lot different then with cord wrapped around lol. Thanks for checkin this out yall!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 12:38:42 am »
Your welcome buddy! Thank you for doing this build along! Can't wait to see the handle go on!
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline longbow man

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 07:32:49 am »
   Very nice camp knife. As a tip you might want to use an angle grinder to scoop out the tang a bit on both sides. This makes final  file work easier as most of the stock is removed. Scales fit flat since only the outside edges of the scale makes contact.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 05:06:57 pm »
out standing work and techniques on a king sized cutter

Offline bow101

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 02:21:58 pm »
Nice unit and great build-a-long Zee. Knife making is truly an art and skill like no other.  Nice to see you building something even if its not bows.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Zion

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 12:00:47 am »
thanks guys. Longbow man that's a great idea, can't believe I haven't tried that before. Must move the balance point a bit forward too!

I'll try to get it finished up, been working on smaller stuff lately, I appreciate the words!

Offline Zion

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 03:59:43 pm »
 ;)
My camera's been working on and off, so when I get a chance to go back up to the woods I'll take some in-use pics. I've abused the crap out of it so far ( stuff you shouldn't do to knives ) and it's running strong. Stuff like batoning through knotty firewood, chopping trees in half.... this thing is soooo fun. And the edge doesn't even need to be touched after a day of hard use. I'm pretty proud of this one.

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 05:01:29 pm »
I've always liked a big heavy knife. Kind of like a machete but with no hand shock :D 

Offline Billinthedesert

Re: Big camp knife (FINISHED)
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2016, 06:17:02 pm »
Really nice job, Zion. I am glad you left some forge marks along the upper edge of the blade. That was some really nice, even file work you did on the blade back. Makes me want to watch my Tim Lively video again.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 04:44:10 pm »
Now that's a knife. You really did good with that beauty.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 10:36:11 pm »
Now that's a knife. You really did good with that beauty.

+1, with an Australian accent!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2016, 06:39:52 pm »
Half of me can't wait till fire season is over so I can try my hand at forging. The other half isn't too happy that I'll be out of work till next fire season. Great build along and beautiful knife!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2016, 12:16:51 pm »
Thanks for the build I enjoyed it and your knife is a fine peice of work. Congrats!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 05:57:07 pm »
Enjoyable and inspiring. That's a gooder for sure, well done!! dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)