Author Topic: sinew back with propeller twist,,osage  (Read 4865 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: sinew back with propeller twist,,osage
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 09:26:25 am »
She's all grown up! Nice job, Brad.
You really are getting some bend there.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 11:11:31 am »
Better watch that string Brad. You are well beyond 90 and it could easily pull right out of the grooves.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 11:19:14 am »
thanks guys you are right about the 90 degrees for sure,, sorry I didnt have a close up of the string grooves,, the string wont come off cause of the shape of that,, Randy has been shooting it for several months and its ok,, I agree an overlay with a bit of recurve would have been nice, or the tips slightly filipped,,,thanks Beadman,, nice points,, I still have lots to learn on the short sinew bows,, but enjoy them very much,,,thanks Jawge,, she is bending pretty good,, not broke and shooting,,

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 12:00:13 am »
You really do have a pretty good bow there.The snake in it is pretty cool.On that length of bow I would've static bent the last 3".Probably steam bending.You still can if you want.Would'nt change the tiller any,but you might lose a little more reflex.Overlays too.It's shooting good though and I know it's a long wait for the sinew to cure.Why mess with it.Good everyone is happy with it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 11:07:01 am »
thanks Beadman,, I just wanted to see what I could do with the straight tip,,and I am working toward the statics,, with the twist it had,, I was a bit intimidated to get recurves to line up, wanted to keep it simple as possible, but moving toward some statics on my next ones, ,just to see how they perform( or I do),,thanks for the input,, points taken,, am keeping a list of what I want to fine tune in the future,, but for me its a good starting point to work from,, I will be interested to see if putting statics will increase performance,, and if so how much,, when I get time I really intend to make one with straight tips,, test it, ,and then put the recurves and see what happens to the way it shoots,,, etc etc etc,, better string angle and such,,

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 11:36:20 am »
That was handled very well. I like the final tiller a lot.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 12:00:00 pm »
thank you Tim,, I felt like I had to compromise a bit to keep the weight,,, but there is always some kind of compromise it seems,, between getting the bow you had in mind,, and knowing when the bow is good and you should stop,, its always a balance for me,, the way the bow shoots trumps everything for me,, but I still like it to look good too,, that being said,, I have had some ugly bows that shot well,,, and filled the freezer,,what else can you ask for :)

Offline Will B

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 08:31:35 am »
Your detailed description and photos were very helpful to me.  I learned a lot! Great job and thanks for posting this.  Will

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2016, 09:15:27 am »
Man you are getting all the bend out of that piece of wood, nice job, does it have much stack
at the outer draw length ?
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2016, 12:44:39 pm »
thank you Will , I was hoping it was unusual enough to be of interest,,glad you enjoyed it
Pappy, it does not seem to stack, I did not measure it on the scale, but I am sure with the string angle it must be stacking a bit,,the outers are pretty stiff so I think that is helping a bit,, kind of like one big recurve,,

but with the lighter weight,, I dont think it has been an issue,, Randy likes the way it shoots and he shoots alot different bows,,,, when I shot it in,, I did not notice excessive stacking,,but I am used to shooting short bows and maybe I  just didnt notice it,, :)