Author Topic: Indirect Pressure Percussion  (Read 23611 times)

AncientTech

Re: Indirect Pressure Percussion
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 11:46:13 pm »
Heck, I am still getting my composite stick and percussion technique in good working order and you add a third method... ::)

I have a couple ideas for the third method that I have read from descriptions of past knappers. It is something that I hope to try eventually. I know how I can use modern tools to achieve what I want but need to figure how it was done with old tools.  Life certainly puts enough obstacles in place to slow the learning curves.

Yes, the signs of a third flintknapping process show, intertwined between pressure and indirect percussion.  And, I believe that it shows all the way back to Clovis.       

AncientTech

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 11:48:02 pm »
Keith, I also tried using wood to strike the composite stick and got the same results. Just seemed to absorb the energy. I went back to striking the antler tip with antler as you did. Perhaps a hard wood like hickory or dogwood may transfer the energy. Until then I am continuing to strike the antler tip with antler.

You could also use an elongated hammerstone, shaped like a long pestle.  Stone is harder than wood, and sometimes more massive than wood.  If a wooden striker does not work, I would try stone.

AncientTech

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 11:50:31 pm »
Lyman,

Okay I made one like yours.  I used an antler tine piece and a piece of hickory.  I started out with just the antler shoved in the socket, but the wood started to split so I added the rawhide wrap.  I like the way the antler tip can be rotated around as you work to get a clean area on the antler without having to dress up the tool.  I don't like how much wear I am getting on the antler with any of these various horizontal punch type techniques.  I hope it will calm down a bit as I learn the tool.  When I was learning hammer stones I used to shred them and likewise with wood percussion when I started on that, so part of it is likely user error.  I've used it both the way you show and by putting the end on the ground more like Marty's way and they seem about the same, just a matter of adjusting angles.  The "strike zone" is smaller than with my other method, where the antler is lashed on, so I have had to go from using a hickory baton striker to using one of my antler hammers.   I am thinking about making another hickory striker that is more paddle shaped and hitting with the edge of the paddle.  Any way, the tool:

This is the kind of flaking it makes:

Thanks for sharing the idea,

Keith

You could abrade the tip of the flaker.  My suggestion is that you try to round the end.  More rounded is pointy, and less rounded is blunt.  Also, if you can get the antler bit set perfectly straight, the wear will be more uniform, and easy to control.

AncientTech

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 11:52:16 pm »
I've tried striking on the wood but it is not working well.  It feels like the wood is soaking up too much of the energy of the blow.  When I strike on the antler I get more of the energy of the strike to flow into the stone.  It would seem that using a thicker piece of wood would dampen the blow even more.  What am I missing?  Has anyone else tried this?

Keith

I would say, skip the wood and go with stone - a stone striker. 

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2016, 05:54:43 pm »
Ben,

Janka hardness...yeah that makes sense.  I used a piece of bitternut hickory, but in looking it up I see it is not as hard as I thought.  I may try dogwood.  If anyone is interested in this, you can find specs on about any kind of wood at:
http://www.wood-database.com/

I have some  long, flat pieces of Catoctin greenstone (metabasalt) which I have tried as strikers.  They are okay, but I like the antler better.  It may just be a "feel" thing.  Still, something to experiment more with.

Explain the anvil thing a bit more.  You mean instead of using your hand on the side opposite the flaker, you use an anvil?  So it's like a bipolar type of effect?  Wood, antler, or stone?  I am having trouble picturing it, do you have a photo by any chance?  Ever way I imagine it seems awkward.

Keith

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2016, 10:30:12 pm »
Keith, Thanks for the link.

Ben may have a different explanation or more detailed but the pictures I posted show my flat stone anvil wrapped with soft leather. The preform is laying on the edge with a little overhang. The anvil can be rolled or rocked to change the angle of strike. The anvil makes the preform more rigid and gives it more mass. My anvil is a little too wide right now. I want on about an inch thick, two inches wide and around five inches long. Wood blocks can be used instead of stone.

Maybe Ben can give better info or some pictures of anvils.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

AncientTech

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2016, 07:45:01 pm »
Ben,

Janka hardness...yeah that makes sense.  I used a piece of bitternut hickory, but in looking it up I see it is not as hard as I thought.  I may try dogwood.  If anyone is interested in this, you can find specs on about any kind of wood at:
http://www.wood-database.com/

I have some  long, flat pieces of Catoctin greenstone (metabasalt) which I have tried as strikers.  They are okay, but I like the antler better.  It may just be a "feel" thing.  Still, something to experiment more with.

Explain the anvil thing a bit more.  You mean instead of using your hand on the side opposite the flaker, you use an anvil?  So it's like a bipolar type of effect?  Wood, antler, or stone?  I am having trouble picturing it, do you have a photo by any chance?  Ever way I imagine it seems awkward.

Keith

In lighter, finer flaking antler on antler flaking is good.  Antler on antler produces a great deal of shock, which produces fast flying flakes.  But, if you get into heavier flaking, you may find that whitetail antler lacks mass.  In Aboriginal American flintknapping, the knappers used antler knapping hammers, as well as stone mauls.  With the hammer they could produce greater swinging speeds coupled with greater mass.

But, if you want to get into even heavier flaking, then you may need to use stone on wood flaking.  If you do, then the wood will need time to compress, during impact.  During that time frame, the support cannot give, and you may have to hit really, really hard.  At a certain point, the process could involve forces that are too strong for handheld support.  If so, you can cut a notch in a block of wood, and lay the point on leather, on top of the cut notch.  The notch is the equivalent of the modern day "Bradley block".  Only, notched/hollowed supports were used by native knappers, in indirect percussion flaking, as well as in pressure flaking.  If you do this, you will probably need to hold the point down under foot.  And, if you hold the point under foot, then you may need to wrap it in leather.

I have worked with many different strikers, in many different situations.  So, I am familiar with the effects of antler on antler, stone on antler, wood on antler, stone on wood, wood on stone, etc.

Wood on stone is actually interesting, because if you hold the stone flaker lightly, a short distance from the platform, you can pop it with the wooden striker, and the sheer speed of the stone flaker movement is good for detaching long, large, bladelike spalls.

On the other hand, you can use a stone striker on wood, to create a heavy blow that causes the wood to compress, during impact.  Since this compression time is long, there is a lag between the blow, and detachment.  And, when sufficient force is reached, the blade will detach with almost pressure like attributes. 

One could say that one could use an indirect percussion process, to create a direct percussion blow - or a blow that is pressure like, in nature.  And, this is one of the reasons why indirect percussion can lead to a broad range of effects.  But, indirect percussion can also be combined with other processes, in order to create additional forces, that cannot be directly created.  And, when these additional forces act upon the break, it has unusual effects.  But, hey, what do I know.  I only studied a couple thousand archaeological publications, tried to get people to look at the flakers people used to use, and got banned.  Lol.  So, hey, what do I know.   

Do you see this flake?  Do you know why it looks long, and "bladelike"?  It is because there is a third flintknapping process that is affecting the break.  And, the process creating the blade-like effect is not pressure, or indirect percussion, even though those processes affect other parts of the break. 

If a person goes back through Clovis literature, the same thing that caused this flake to run long also can cause other effects, that have already been described in Clovis literature.  But, it is not pressure, nor is it indirect percussion.  There is a clue right there in the trajectory, and in some cases, in something that is more than just the trajectory.  And, if anyone bothers to look at Clovis research, they will find the same telltale signs, there.

But, there is something beyond that.  See how the break curves at a right angle (outrepasse), prior to reaching the opposite side?  That happens because the third flintknapping process incorporated into the overall process creates one additional force that cannot be directly created.  That force is partly the result of the three flintknapping processes being combined.  And, the outrepasse effect is to some degree controllable, so long as the other three processes are carefully combined.  And, this all relates to the trajectory that I just described.

I figured this out in my head, from looking at thousands of records, and finally realizing that it was to some degree blueprinted in what was left to us - the records of flintknapping processes.  So, here is a little more banned Native American flintknapping, in honor of all the decent, good hearted people who ever studied the subject, and gave us the records that we now have:

Again, the blade-like qualities are inescapable.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 07:56:47 pm by AncientTech »

AncientTech

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2016, 07:47:14 pm »
Keith, Thanks for the link.

Ben may have a different explanation or more detailed but the pictures I posted show my flat stone anvil wrapped with soft leather. The preform is laying on the edge with a little overhang. The anvil can be rolled or rocked to change the angle of strike. The anvil makes the preform more rigid and gives it more mass. My anvil is a little too wide right now. I want on about an inch thick, two inches wide and around five inches long. Wood blocks can be used instead of stone.

Maybe Ben can give better info or some pictures of anvils.

A padded stone anvil is good.  The other type of anvil that I am familiar with is the notched wooden block anvil.  Basically, it is like a giant Bradley block, but for indirect percussion.  You wrap the stone in leather, and set it over the notch.  Then, you hold the stone down underfoot