Author Topic: Help Me Design This Five Curve Bow...  (Read 3557 times)

Offline arachnid

Help Me Design This Five Curve Bow...
« on: January 13, 2016, 12:37:17 pm »
Hi Guys.

I was thinking of making a BBI recurve and thought, why not make a five curve bow, if not for performance- just for the looks of it!
Problem is, I haven't found a five curve build along/tutorial anyware. So I`d be greatfull for any help.
What I have is 2 pieces of ipe, each one is about 3 mm thick and 1 1/8" wide. Both are 60" long (I cutit like this for my
original plan). The plan is to back it with 1/8" bamboo.

1) Is it doable? can the bamboo/ipe take this design (I want it 40# max, don`t mind even if it`s 35#).
2) What side profile am I looking for? Does anyone have plans for a form?
3) What tiller shape am I looking for?

Any other advice will be most welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Dor

Offline arachnid

Re: Help Me Design This Five Curve Bow...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 12:16:56 am »
Anyone??

Offline bubby

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline loon

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 04:47:45 am »
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t31.0-8/1015665_509540349101840_161996445_o.jpg

Sinew backed bamboo (guess top one is horn). But yeah, it's not bamboo backed ipe... don't know if bamboo in the back could take it with that much reflex.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 05:21:29 am »
I`m looking for the shape in bubby`s link... eventhough it`s a kids bow, I think BBI might hold it if I won`t make it very heavy.
I think it`s worth a try...

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 07:15:28 am »
Why do you think this shape is less likely to hold? Your main issue will be pre-tillering the pieces so that you don't run out of belly wood. It would be easier to just make it  from two pieces.

Offline SteveT.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 07:25:39 pm »

Here's how I do it, using the rope and wedge method. You would not need a form and the wedges keep your shape and control of the glueline.
Steve Thomson

Offline SteveT.

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 07:34:53 pm »

Here's the finished bow. The key here is to pre-tiller the ipe core before you apply the bamboo backing. This will be easier to set the curves , and then you can add the grip after. I think I did a tutorial on here years ago using this method. So you could see more of what's involved.I would encourage you to give it a try, and see what happens. Any questions please e-mail me.
Steve T.