Author Topic: Elm pyramid/Holmegaard style bow  (Read 6415 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Elm pyramid/Holmegaard style bow
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 05:12:15 pm »
wow love the full draw........good job! Elm's on my bucket list..
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 05:38:32 pm »
Thank you very much everyone. I've been out working on 2 crape-myrtle bows that I'll be showing here soon.

hello Tim, really nice now, like it a lot.
in the second picture, didnt you cut the lateral grain of the stave? shouldnt you have followed the natural curve of the grain? sorry for my questions, but i am still a rookie...

regards,

Joćo from Portugal

Joao, No I did not cut the lateral grain. One of the things I like about using hatchets, adzes and knives is usually the blades will follow the path of the grain when struck at a steep angle. The pictures are not that good at showing the whole story with the twisted grain, but I pretty much followed the natural flow of the wood.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline Jjpso

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 06:06:37 pm »
Thanks for the answer Tim.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 08:34:15 pm »
You accomplished your goal - you made him a real bow!  Nice work.  That may be my favorite kind of bow. I like the way you didn't try to iron out every wrinkle.  That bow has character and a sweet bend.     
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 04:10:42 am »
Awesome bow and thanks for taking us through the process!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 09:18:39 am »
Nice bow, nice bend, well done.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 04:50:17 pm »
pso link=topic=55520.msg754883#msg754883 date=1451488571]
hello Tim, really nice now, like it a lot.
in the second picture, didnt you cut the lateral grain of the stave? shouldnt you have followed the natural curve of the grain? sorry for my questions, but i am still a rookie...

regards,

Joćo from Portugal
[/quote]

Hey, I can answer this question, although my answer may not be HIS answer....

First, elm is tough, stringy, and does not like to break unless really dry or eaten by bugs or fungus.

Second, the diameter of tree that came from gives you a pretty high crown on the back.  It looks to me that he purposely used the CROWN of the stave as a centerline, rather than following the grain markings.  This is good.  Having the crown run down the middle of the bow saves all kinds of trouble, like avoiding side to side dips, or limbs that want to bend to one side, etc...

This works because elm is so strong in tension to begin with, AND the highest part of the crown experiences the most tension strain.  As long as the grain at the crown is intact, it does not matter if it is a few degrees angle off of perfectly straight lengthwise.  Obviously, a LOT of twist or a BIG wiggle you might want to follow it perfectly.    But, the grain run off, if there is any, is away from the crown, wrapping from back toward belly where the bow is less thick, and once you round off the corners, it isn't under too much strain.

I use this strategy with "small" woods that twist or wiggle a lot where I live, like apple shoots from neglected apple trees, serviceberry, mulberry suckers, hawthorn, and stuff.  I quit trying it if the twist is severe, or I follow the grain closely if the wiggle is severe.

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2016, 05:11:27 am »
Thank you fellas.

Wow. Springbuck you described the reason I like working with that diameter of a tree and with elm in particular, for Holmegaards, better than I could myself. Thank You. I have a smaller narrower harvested elm sappling I'll be making a Eastern Woodlands style bow from soon. On that one I'll probably decrown a bit, but it'll have a sweet nature made arrow rest where a side branch used to be.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

riverrat

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2016, 10:13:18 am »
really nice bow there! you did a awesome job on that bow.Tony

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2016, 11:26:53 am »
Congrats on the bow. Nice gift by the way. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2016, 04:36:42 pm »
Thank you very much.

It just feels good working on bows again. Even the smell of heat treating. Didn't know I missed it so much.