Author Topic: Havin trouble deflexin  (Read 2614 times)

Offline Stixnstones

Havin trouble deflexin
« on: December 30, 2015, 08:03:58 pm »
Past few bows been tryin to induce reflex, been able to get out the prop twists but the deflex doesnt stay. One would think if i'm usin enuff heat to take out twist there would b enuff heat to keep reflex. any advise would b great. Thanx.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Havin trouble deflexin
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 08:41:12 pm »
I try to do it all at one time.  Clamp it down to a form and keep it there till it cools off.  If I try to do it in two steps, I end up undoing my first correction. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 08:51:29 pm »
what kind of wood are you working with?  and as Mr. Rhodes notes are you using a caul?
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 09:06:47 pm »
Yeah , usin a caul and doin both at same time. With my caul i should end up with 3" of reflex. HELP !
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 11:47:34 pm »
Have you read Marc St Louis' chapter in TBBIV about heat treating bows? Lots of good, well thought out information after years of personal experience.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 08:13:03 am »
Lets say your caul is built to add 3.5". When you take the clamps off you will lose up to half depending on heat duaration, thickness, floor tiller accuracy, species and a bunch more. An average for osage done well may be 70-80% held. Check a few of those things I mentioned.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 08:54:05 am »
Pat, i dont have tbb4 but it's on my list. Mr Drums , that all makes perfect sence. Just needed to read it and it clicked, thanx guys.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 09:00:32 am »
Once you get floor tillering nailed down, your bows will hold a lot more. Less wood holds more shape. Get that blank down to a nice 60-70# bend on the floor, then heat it up. Less cracks, less heat and more held shape.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 10:19:36 am »
I'm confused by the use of terms here, stix. A reflex is when the limbs bend away from the archer while a deflex is when the limbs bend towards the archer.

I think you meant to say the reflex doesn't stay which makes sense. You will always loose some.
The thinner the wood the easier ti will be to bend it but even them some will pop back.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 01:54:48 pm »
oops! my bad . I meant reflex. sorry  :P
DevilsBeachSelfbows