Author Topic: Ash sapling bow done and tree I.D +FD  (Read 6687 times)

Offline jandersson

Ash sapling bow done and tree I.D +FD
« on: January 02, 2016, 02:40:21 pm »
Hello there,
Some time ago I finished an ash sapling bow, my 4th bow, first non board bow. I found it growing through the fence at the dog park so they had to cut it anyways. It was 1" in one end and 1 1/2 in he other before I took he bark off. 68", around 50#@ 27. It had a little bit of natural R/D going on and I added about an inch of set. I honestly had no idea what I was doing with all the knots and twists, I had to straighten it a bit but I think it turned out ok after all. I'm not sure about the final tiller and we'll see how long it lasts. Sorry no FD, I'll add it when wifey comes home and take the picture.  Taking good pictures btw was a pain, kudos to all you skilled camera operators! Mine kinda blows.

Also I cut another sapling yesterday but it had no leaves so I don't know what it is but i was hoping with your guys experience could figure it out. So I live in Minneapolis and there's a lot of Hackberry, Ash and Maples where I cut it. The wood was a little stringy, some sticky sap dripped out on the floor as it thawed and my dog chewed on some and it turned reddish (not blood, I checked). I was thinking maybe a soft maple?

Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:48:03 am by jandersson »

Offline TimPotter

Re: Ash sapling bow done and tree I.D
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 03:39:13 pm »
I really like how you made that bow. And for you 1st non board bow it looks pretty darn good to me. I'm still a sucker for sapling bows and always have my eyes out for a new potential bow. Again great job.

Not sure I can i'd the bark on your new stave. Hopefully others with better eyes than me will chime in.

(It may be a type of oak)
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 03:47:17 pm »
Your tree ID is tough, whter it had opposite or alternate branching and a twig/bud shot would help.  My guess would be it might be buckthorn, looks like it has a pith to me and the grain is similar to ash.

riverrat

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 03:54:41 pm »
im not buying any of that " i had no idea of what i was doing" stuff. lol thats a fine bow.ill check out the tiller later when you post that full draw pic. but otherwise thats a nice bow.Tony

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 04:01:16 pm »
I've seen alder bruise orange, so that might be a possiblity too

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 04:03:34 pm »
nice bow,, I dont know what the other wood is,,  :)

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 06:12:36 pm »
 Oh, wow, when you said "sapling bow" you meant it!  That is a great bow.  Super cool.

Offline jandersson

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 08:25:34 pm »
TimPotter: Thank you Sir! I like them too and also you don't have to split and dry big trunks!

wapiti1997: Branches are opposite. I checked Alder out and I think you might be right. Grain is very similar also it's kinda soft.

riverrat: Thanks Tony! Yeah I had some headaches working on it and went with what seemed to be the most reasonable at the time and also got some help from PA.            Tillering was tricky with knots and bends, you get to judge it later.

bradsmith2010: Thanks! I'm leaning towards Alder now.

Springbuck: Thanks buck! Shoots better then my board ones. But I never shot any other bows ever so I wouldn't know if it's really that good at all!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 08:51:16 pm »
Looks like a sweeet  bow to me !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 08:57:15 pm »
You got a nice amount of poundage out of that stick.Nice job.There are more ash bows out there under 50# than 50# and over.
Your mystery woods' bark looks like black cherry to me but there is no heartwood so that's out.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 08:52:34 am »
That is a sweet looking sapling.  Can't wait for full draw.  Minneapolis you say?  I am a little south of you in Wabasha.  Mike

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 09:02:24 am »
A fine looking bow!

I have no idea on the other sapling though, but the bark doesn't look like the hackberry we have the n the southern US nor does it look like any maple I've seen but then again, no sugar maple grows down here.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline dantolin

Re: Ash sapling bow done and tree I.D +FD
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 05:02:00 pm »
Nice sapling bow!!! Well done, J.Andersson!

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 06:53:21 pm »
Beautiful bow! I also thought the bark could be black cherry but the grain looks a lot more like ash. We sawed up some gray elm today  with a suspiciously similar  look to the Cambrian layer,  put my money on ash, though I've never seen ash ooze sap.. How many hours went into the bow this far?

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 07:36:33 pm »
I'm pretty sure that is an ash, ash can have x pattern or blocky alligator type bark. Also the all white straight grain suggests ash.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.