Author Topic: Spring 2016 Turkey Camp  (Read 24641 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Spring 2016 Turkey Camp
« on: January 03, 2016, 01:59:02 pm »
Plans for this year's turkey camp began even as we were tearing down camp last year. We had 7 people in camp last year and it was kinda uncoordinated to run the kitchen off little Coleman stoves and I had made up my mind to upgrade.  I got some motivation when one of last year's attendees backed me with some folding green paper and then a Cabela's gift card showed up in the mail.  Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is the centerpiece to this year's camp kitchen:

The box on the left covers two of the three burners to create a grill.  Or it can be removed if you have a series of pots and pans to crank out the meal:

This means I need to find some larger cast iron griddles so that large batches of hashbrowns or flapjacks can be cranked out on an industrial scale.  And best of all, the burners have enough BTU outputs that I can heat a 5 gallon stockpot with water mighty dang quick, allowing folks to have a decent little wash up later in the week.  (Last year I noticed folks were allowing each other more "personal space" as the week went on.  ???)

For the most part, the menu will consist of things like chili, venison stew, and other things that I can make ahead and simply re-heat.  But on the off chance that some of the fellers decide to fetch along some venison, we may be able to pull off a decent little steak fry one night, AHEM, HINT, HINT!

The entire South Dakota contingent of Kyle, Julup, and Mikey have committed to coming back, as well as helping organize. Their help will allow me a little breathing space over the week, and I fully intend to take some of the inspiration Primitive Tim left me with.  I hope to shoot some video of the camp and splice together a nice little micro-documentary.

Over the last few years, I have invited a number of folks from this community.  Plenty of them have not been able to make it happen, but that invite still stands.  If you have been invited and are thinking of coming, drop me a p.m. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Stixnstones

Re: Spring 2016 Turkey Camp
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 02:54:12 pm »
looks like a hellava camp stove, sounds like a hellava good time. good luck this year boys :)
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 02:58:09 pm »
I have great hopes that a bird gets it in the face this year.  We are two years straight without a single mortality!   :-[

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 03:03:28 pm »
JW pap always said it was a vacation if you killed anything it was a bonus.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 06:23:56 pm »
What a cookin' rig! Ought to do the "job".
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 03:15:48 am »
An Old friend of Mine has the same stove - works VERY well. Looks like a fun Camp is ahead for sure ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 04:23:29 am »
My vote is the Mexican meal we had the last night in camp. That was the best. Three meats ?
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 04:28:26 am »
Always dead tired but never hungry in Turkey camp. Your head hits the rake and 2 seconds later your back up and turkey hunting again it seems. Always good hot food to keep ya going. I hope to loose another arrow this year dirt is ok with me.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 02:45:45 pm »
Turkey camp sounds like a lot of fun, good luck to all!
Sure looks like you'll all eat good.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 07:03:13 pm »
Iowabow, that last night in camp was carnitas.  Pork shoulder slow braised with oregano, cumin, orange, lemon, lime, and guajillo peppers until it is fall apart tender.  The fat and gristle melts away, leaving that classic looking pulled pork.

For the rest of you to drool over:  We then made scratch guacamole.  Sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese was there, too.  Corn tortillas, flour tortillas, hot sauce, whatever.  No plates, we just started marching around the table, loading one up, heading to the back of the line and eating, and starting over again!  Everyone was groaning as the last of it was mopped up!  Primitive Tim opened a portal thru time and space somewhere in his belly and really hit it hard!  But he's a growing sasquatch cub and allowances were made!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 07:54:52 pm »
Best meal ever.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 11:17:17 pm »

Dang J.W. That is right up town!  I am going to guess that you had to break it in, before hunt camp, just to check that everything is in working order, and of course, you had to use it like you were actually, taking food orders, at camp, and actually cook, all the orders, and timed it of course.  Just guessing that is what you did already.  Sounds like more of a gourmet, hiking club, than a turkey hunting camp.  That unit will do the job.  Lucky you, and the guys, who will get to sample the meals.  This year, you might just check to see if the guys are actually loading their guns, and or actually nocking an arrow.  It could be they just come for a good meal, instead of actually hoping to pop a turkey.  Might go on line to see if any of them are peta members, taking advantage of your culinary skills, and going out and barking like a dog to scare off the turkeys.  Could explain the unfilled tags.
                                   Wayne

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 09:15:32 am »
What's non resident license cost and what time is dinner?
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 09:53:20 am »
What's non resident license cost and what time is dinner?
I believe it is about $150.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 06:34:03 pm »
I think out of state tags are $100.  Last year, each man's share on groceries was $25 for the 5 days.