Author Topic: Spring 2016 Turkey Camp  (Read 24615 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Spring 2016 Turkey Camp
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2016, 08:05:03 pm »
Great story JW.  Sounds like a great hunt.

Hey man, it really was.  Next year you and Killer Keller? 

I will make pie and ice cream again!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2016, 10:06:56 pm »
Great story JW.  Sounds like a great hunt.

Hey man, it really was.  Next year you and Killer Keller? 

I will make pie and ice cream again!

It probably won't work next year either. Keller will be graduating right around turkey camp time.  Maybe if all the stars align. 

Keller and I have been chasing turkeys for the last month in Minnesota.  I with my self bow and him with his gun.  I got one shot at a long beard on my first day out.  I am apparently not a good shot either.  After that I had a lot of birds going and many in gun range, but on those days Keller was not along. He was pretty busy with school activities.  Days when Keller was along we were still on birds but things just didn't work out.  We sure did have some good times though. 

I really enjoyed reading your story and following this thread.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2016, 10:50:21 pm »
Another expose' on the Black Hills Turkey Camp 2016:

Someone that shall remain nameless spent almost the whole time on his stupid phone/Android.  I won't say who, but two years running MISSED turkeys and last year didn't even get off a shot.  Talk about your three time loser.  He DID, however keep us all up to date on the weather while checking his phone.  And there is the crux of the issue....he saw heavy weather coming and came up with some lame excuse about family, wedding, whatever.

Kyle called him out and said that Hallmark still makes cards and there was a post office just down the road in Custer, SD where he could find some of those cards.  Fact remains, Iowabow, I mean SOMEBODY NAMELESS, just plain bugged out because the humidity was going up a little.  And then it came down.  In fact, about two inches of humidity in the form of rain and marble sized hail came down!

And some of camp was still able to go out and work birds in the morning!  Talk about some tough sons-a-guns.  Later that morning we popped into town and visited the "Lost Sock Laundromat" to make use of their driers. 

Frankly, we were pretty lucky since none of the bedding had gotten wet and no one was in danger of hypothermia.  Everyone used good sense and dry sox to their advantage.  Nothing as welcome in this world as good sense and dry sox. 

Offline chamookman

« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2016, 04:00:24 am »
Cool pic & a great Camp. Thanks for posting JW ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2016, 08:05:33 am »
Love the canvas wedge tents and dining fly.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline iowabow

« Reply #125 on: June 01, 2016, 02:50:01 pm »
Now hold the phone there Hatchet Jack. It weren't my idea to go killing jakes on the first day and tickin off the turkey gods. It's all fun and games there greenhorn when the sun's out and you're paying no nevermind to the weather. Not my fault if you didn't "put enough dirt down" so to speak. Now I did get a shot off last year (missed) but this year I let Dave have the honors as I was on the call so he could have a fighting chance. I came early and left early so thats a draw in my book. As far as you abandoing camp at the first sign of a clouds well I'll let others draw their own conclusions on the perseverance of "leader" types.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Zuma

« Reply #126 on: June 01, 2016, 08:29:29 pm »
You guys really have me confused ???
Who is Hatchet Jack? :o
Who is Shake and Jake? >:D
Forget about Fair Weather Fred.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2016, 09:22:07 am »
Hatchet Jack was found frozen solid on the mountain, died of a "broke leg" but his trusty Hawken"kilt th' bar thet kilt him"

And I believe "Shake" is what the "jake" did to Dave to stop Dave from Making "shake-n-bake" with the "jake"

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2016, 10:24:53 pm »
That was 3 jakes and a fat tom gave us the shake. That was morning number 1. So, the box of shake and bake was never opened...stupid birds anyway. There's always next year.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2016, 09:03:40 pm »
That was 3 jakes and a fat tom gave us the shake. That was morning number 1. So, the box of shake and bake was never opened...stupid birds anyway. There's always next year.

Tattoo Dave

They will be a year older and an entire order of magnitude tougher to chew!

Even though camp was smaller this year, the hunting was thrilling.  We would go out and work birds any time we wanted.  The scenery was divine.  Elk, deer, and every songbird the Black Hills has to offer came by camp.  Heck, I even got some real work out of Mr. Iowabow...and not just flapping his jaws like some college professor!  Actual, real, physical work cutting and hauling off downed timber to make room for camp.