Author Topic: new ash flat bow  (Read 1840 times)

Offline freke

new ash flat bow
« on: January 05, 2016, 02:36:07 pm »
Hi everyone
I have finally made first bow for myself in nearly 20 years. The bow is not finisd and there are still some work on the handle, and the tip looks bulky.
The bow is in European Ash 65" and draw #44@27" (to be for 28"). It is just above 2" most the limb, the three has a diameter of 3,5" and I de-crowne it to get a more flat cross section, and the tips are steam bended, also the handle is steam bended as it wasn't straight and that took out the nice reflex it original had. I have put on a very tinny hide with hide glue although. I also heat threat it but to early in the process so it worth nothing - assume it isn't much point to consider it now.

I shoot it over Xmas's it felt really nice, as I didn't had the string done had I to use the tillering string, too twisted and heavy so the result was maybe due to it together with the present heavy wind but it only shoot 130 m/142yd - same as my child bows do, but on close range was it more potent than many other I did, accurate and really sweet to shoot.

My question to you guys is if my proportion is right, or if there are any needs or can be done better? 
-Ex.making the tips along the stiff area thinner to get down in weight like the mosegaard bow.

Many thanks in advance,
Jonas

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
Re: new ash flat bow
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 04:15:43 pm »
I can't really offer advice. But that is a lovely looking bow! Great job  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline loon

Re: new ash flat bow
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 05:29:52 pm »
Looks great!