Author Topic: Bamboo/Walnut quiver build/help along Updated / leather added!  (Read 41140 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
For quite some time I've been wanting to make a bamboo quiver. Yesterday my good friend sleek came by on his way home from his family vacation. On his trip he got permission to cut some big bamboo. He gifted me 2 pieces long enough for a quiver.

The bamboo is green/fresh cut. So the first thing I need to do is get it dried out. I researched the best ways to do this without it cracking or checking. I found that the Japanese flute makers use fire to activate the natural resin in the boo. They heat it over a fire slowly until the resin is brought to the surface. Then it is quickly wiped off. Thus creating a natural sealer, just like putting shalack or glue on a stave. What I read stated that, it wasn't a full proof way of keeping it from cracking but it was the most proven way to minimize the possibility of a crack. Then once your done let dry like a stave for at least 2 weeks.

This is what I did, lol.
I first knocked out the center nodes with a stick. Then I dropped an arrow in to see how the "bottom"  node was going to react. Well it punched a small hole, so I went ahead and knocked it out as well. It wasn't going to serve as a solid bottom anyways.

I then began the heating process by starting a very primitive fire. I kept the boo moving to make sure it was heated evenly. With my set up I was able to heat half of the bamboo at a time.  You want to make sure that it doesn't get so hot you can't handle it bare handed. Heat it until it is uniformly wet on the outside. Then heat it until the resin just barely starts to bubble. If you remove it from the heat and the bubbles stop instantly it's ready to wipe on quickly.

Here is both of my future Quivers that are now ready to dry for a few weeks.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 10:58:33 pm by lebhuntfish »
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bamboo quiver build/help along
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 11:45:54 pm »
You could carve some designs into the boo without affecting the integrity of the boo. Once it gets sunlight the color will fade to light tan. Are you going to put a wood plug in the bottom or is there a node there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 11:46:14 pm »
A few things I noticed was,  while heating you can tell when it is getting evenly heated by looking at the cut end of the boo. You can see the depth of the "water" in the thickness of the end of the boo.
Also it is almost ready to wipe the resin off once there is a steady amount of lite steam coming out the heated end.

I should say that I  have never worked with boo in this manner before. I've never made a boo quiver either so any help, thoughts or advice is appreciated.

I will keep this updated as I go along in the build. I'll do my best to post pictures as much as I can. Sorry about the limited pic's so far, it's was hard to take them during that process.
The main quiver I'm using in this build is for a good friend. The second one is mine!

More to come!
Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 11:54:34 pm »
You could carve some designs into the boo without affecting the integrity of the boo. Once it gets sunlight the color will fade to light tan. Are you going to put a wood plug in the bottom or is there a node there.

Pat,  your always right on with an early reply.
One of the quivers will have an inlay in it. I'm not much of a carver but didn't think about that. I may give it a go on the one I make for myself.
Haven't decided on the plug yet, I'm hoping to make it for a hunting quiver, so I want to make it as quiet as possible.  Thanks.
Patrick

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 07:40:27 am »
 8)

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 08:35:19 am »
Looking good so far! I like your primitive fire! LOL!

To make the "plug" quiet, could you glue a scrap piece of carpet onto it? Just cut the carpet to fit inside of the Bamboo, and glue it to the plug.  Make sense?  Might work.... Or not. Lol
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 09:46:56 am »
It'll be fun to watch your progress.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 10:36:29 am »
I pack saw dust in the bottom of my quiver to soften sound and protect the points.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 12:00:53 pm »
I pack saw dust in the bottom of my quiver to soften sound and protect the points.

Where ever do you manage to find any sawdust for such a project Kevin???   ;D ;) ;D ;D

OneBow

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 01:41:22 pm »
The plug ideas are all good. That will probably be one of the first things I do once they have dried out.  I'm also trying to configure a way to "steak it down if you wanted to stand it up at the range of in a hunting blind. I'm thinking maybe some kind of sliding stake attached to the side. Or maybe not, anyone with thoughts on that idea? Patrick

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 02:17:09 pm »
Looks like a fun project.  I'll be watching your progress.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 02:44:41 pm »
Lash it on
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 05:13:18 pm »

Just put a sling on it, and take a stick, or steel rod with a hook on it.  You could make a folding tripod, with a hook, to hand it on, or a double ended hook, to hook that on something else.  I wouldn't put anything on the quiver itself.  Just my humble opinion. 
                                   Wayne

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 11:41:06 pm »
I should say that it will have a sling on it. Hopefully with an adjustable leather strap. Long enough to throw over your shoulder and if shortened it could be used as a back quiver as well.
Patrick

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 11:34:47 pm »
Here is an update on the drying of the bamboo. I think I got the resin worked out better on the smaller one. I kinda hoped they would stay green but I figured they wouldn't. The darker green areas have gotten lighter in color. And it has lost some noticeable weight. I'm getting ansie about working on them. Come on and get dried out already!
Patrick