Author Topic: 2 knapps left and it broke  (Read 12361 times)

keekeerun

2 knapps left and it broke
« on: February 13, 2008, 12:04:57 am »
I was about 2 knapps left to go before finishing my amber colored glass head and it broke. I was knapping out one of the nocthes and busted a piece of the base off.  All that knappin and this happend. Oh well IT was lookin pretty good too. I'm going to superglue it and try to make a necklace out of it, and give it to the wife for valentine day.   One things for sure I'm ready for the next one.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Re: 2 knapps left and it broke
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 12:13:28 am »
done that,   i superglued an obsidian point together once and it held fine. its very strong, i wouldnt doubt its hunting capabilities, if i was hard up for hunting points i wouldnt  hesatate using it, but since i have plenty, no sense in chancing it. you could probabbly put it on  apractice arrow and it woul dbe fine- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

keekeerun

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 12:28:29 am »
twistedlimbs. This is my first ever knapped head I think it come out pretty good,  shape wise, but it isn't very sharp, only a few edges. I'LL glue it and try it out on a practice arrow. Superglue does do a good job on things.  I got alot of practicing to do, getting the long flakes to come of the faces of the head was a little tough for me, but eventually I'll get it right. Thanks for the post.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 01:27:45 am »
 Like said dont hunt with it, practice is fine besides like ya said gives ya excuse fer makin another head ! ;).bob

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 09:44:18 am »
You're learning really fast. You've already discovered one of the common joys of knapping.  ;D Wish I had a quarter for every point I've broken. Just keep at it. You never stop breakin' em, but eventually you break less of 'em.  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

keekeerun

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 10:12:05 am »
I'm waiting on a phone call to go to work, so I guess I'll have to make another one today. When cutting out the nothches for the sinew wrap what tool is best, the flat or pointed copper flaker.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 11:35:54 am »
Either/or. the screwdrtiver-shaped tip is good for making narrow notches, but they stall out easily. You can flake the notches a little easier with the pointed tip, but they'll be wider.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

keekeerun

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 08:38:29 pm »
Thanks Hillbilly I just started on the one notch and It came out very nice, I need to work on getting my edges smaller so it is sharper.