Author Topic: A whole mess of rabbits!  (Read 7373 times)

Offline knapperboy

A whole mess of rabbits!
« on: January 10, 2016, 11:32:16 pm »
Hey everyone, my freezer is pretty much packed with rabbits from an archery hunt hosted by Colorado traditional archers society over the weekend. What's the best recipe you've tried for rabbit? Looking for ideas! Thanks!

Offline chamookman

Re: A whole mess of rabbits!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 04:10:57 am »
Par boiled with a bit of Onion, then pan fried is pretty hard to beat. Rabbit stew bubbling on the stove with dumplings awfully good too. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 08:34:41 am »
Been a while but I used to put a couple in a pressure cooker then remove the bones after cooking them. Mix some flour and make a gravy in the cooker. Simmer them it all together and enjoy. Adding the dumplings would be excellent.

Serve with mashed taters and peas.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline knapperboy

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 11:07:41 am »
Oh man! Those sound soo good! I heard the other day that they make pretty good fajitas if you slow cook them and pick out the bones. Has anyone tried that?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 12:37:47 pm »
I like to par boil them, then toss them in a glass casserole dish with cream of mushroom soup, taters, carrots, peas and celery in the oven. Basically a baked stew of sorts.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 01:57:27 pm »
Had some smoked Rabbit at MOJAM last year that was EXCELLENT!  They were mopped in a sweet BBQ glaze that did good stuff for them.

OneBow

Offline knapperboy

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 05:21:42 pm »
Hmm I never thought to smoke it... great idea!

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 09:40:41 pm »
I was raised on rabbit, my favorites are fried or bbq, but its all good, makes a great pot pie too
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline knapperboy

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 10:15:11 pm »
I've only ever made fried or stewed rabbit..  so some of these will be interesting to try!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 10:29:21 pm »
Both hindquarters and the saddle fit into a quart jar, add water, salt/pepper and can it like you would for chicken (read up on canning techniques and adjust for your altitude). 

It's ready to make soup when you boil up a diced tater and add a 12 oz bag of mixed frozen veggies.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 01:47:53 pm »
I stewed my first rabbit just the other week!  Used canned tomato chunks, potatoes, carrots, celery, a couple of chicken bouillon cubes, rosemary, thyme, sage, oh hell just about any herb I had on hand!  I thickened it by mixing some salt and flour in water and pouring that in while it was cooking.  In the end I removed the rabbit, tossed the meat bits back into the pot and served it up with warm bread.  Everyone at the table had never tried rabbit before, and everyone loved it.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 09:38:34 pm »
I smoke um for 20-30 minutes they grill them until the outsides get crispy. Then toss them in your favorite wing sauce, Pennsyl-tucky hot wings!!  I used to have a jar of sauce in my brush coat just in case we wanted to eat them right there in the field.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna