Author Topic: quiver - back or side?  (Read 13418 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: quiver - back or side?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 08:00:34 pm »
Stuckinthemud.......A side or cat quiver suits me best too.Like most of the comments.Can shoot with and have both the back or side but prefer the side for 3D,stump shooting or hunting.You'll have to decide that for yourself.I where the side one like this.

Here's a fisher coon cat quiver that works nice too.I took a dogwood and split it.Ripped the coon up the belly to match the split.Lined it wit brain tan and sewed it together.Works slick.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline chamookman

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 04:09:15 am »
Another reason that I always used a side quiver Hunting, is that it facilitates wearing a pack. Got to where even on short Hunts, I wore a Day Pack - handy for a thermous/rain poncho/fire kit and firstaid kit and a place to shed clothing layer while walking. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 11:47:46 am »
I've gotten to liking side quivers. The one I've got is a brain tanned raccoon skin that I initially put two loops on to hold the arrows sideways across the  lower back. But that didn't work with it riding too low and jostling with every step. But it works well for me hung off just one loop with the arrows facing forward. The softness of the leather pinches the arrows and with a big ball of wood scrapings in the bottom keeping the tips for moving making it very quiet when moving. And when moving quick I can rech down and grab the arrows holding them still so they make no noise and my hand it already on the arrows ready to pull them out. And I have colored banding at the nock so I know what head is on the arrow when I pull it out. There are a few things that I need to change about it that don't work too well. Don't let the tail dangle down, it catches everything. Make the loops so they can be opened and closed, it's a pain taking your belt off every time you want to remove your quiver or have a seperate belt for just the quiver. And add a pouch for the extras you like to carry.

Dakota kid, you'll have to let me know how you like the quiver after you've used it a while. It's the first time I've tried making a quiver in that style and I didn't have much time to play with it between completion date and shipping date. So I wasn't sure of exactly where everything needed to be to be in the proper comfort area. And feel free to modify it as you see fit to make it work better. I felt like it would be a good way to keep your fletchings dry on a rainy day and you don't have to worry about arrows falling out.

Kyle

Offline Rob W.

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 02:34:55 pm »
I usually use a side quiver. Even with a bow quiver I take it off when I get to my spot. I plan on building a side quiver before season that I've had in my head for awhile.

Offline bow101

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 12:46:19 am »
I have not hunted yet but have no inclination to build a back quiver. Mine is a side quiver.  A lot of club Archers use hip quivers.  Like to build a modified hip quiver so the arrow sits in at least 2/3 of the way.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pelo

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 12:27:26 pm »
After years of being fed up with quivers I've come to the solution of carrying my arrows in the bow hand. Quiver gets left behind when I'm hunting. Never needed more than four arrows in my life. Of course I shoot a D-bow so your results may be different.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 09:45:31 am »
Bow is a bow.I can see your point about no quiver though while hunting,but while along with friends 3D shooting it's nice to carry a few more arrows.Shooting 3 arrows correctly is always better than shooting 12 incorrectly and in a hurry....lol.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pelo

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 11:02:01 am »
Nothing against handle bows (except I'm not any good at making them). Just meant that the cross section of the handle of a d-bow is smaller, and let's me carry the arrows easier. Something I wouldn't be able to do all day with something like an old Bear Kodiak. At the 3D range I carry around my quiver and flop it on the ground to shoot.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 08:05:41 am »
Yep good point.Each to his or her own I say.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 10:18:33 am »
I've tried your standard tube type hip quiver as well as back quiver and I'm not thrilled with either, I'm thinking of trying out a manchu style quiver next...

Offline loon

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2016, 02:37:41 am »
I've tried your standard tube type hip quiver as well as back quiver and I'm not thrilled with either, I'm thinking of trying out a manchu style quiver next...
They're so tiny, for such huge arrows!

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 10:20:25 am »
They're so tiny, for such huge arrows!

That's what she said....