Author Topic: hhb/edb bow  (Read 8341 times)

Offline Badly Bent

hhb/edb bow
« on: January 16, 2016, 09:39:58 am »
Another hop hornbeam bow I finished several weeks ago from the super clean log that halfeye sent me several months ago. It is backed with a cut off of eastern diamond back skin that Rich also gave me from a large snake that came from Donald Burchett. Thanks both of you kind gentlemen for the awesome materials, enough cannot be said of the generosity of sharing from the PA community and believe me I am quite appreciative of this. So many thanks fellas.
The bow is a little under 59" ntn and a hair over 1-3/8" wide at its widest. I'm not seeing a great tiller on this one but after tillering, tweaking, retillering and shooting I had to stop and accept the results. It doesn't shoot badly in spite of the possibility that it may be badly bent. ;D  Came in around #47 at 24" draw. Handle is rawhide. Anyway here's a look at the finished bow.

Oh, my son in law seemed to take a real liking to this bow when he saw it on my rack a few weeks ago so I'll probably pass it
to him if he likes how it shoots. When it warms enough to go out and shoot, I'll head out to his place and let him see how he likes it. I've shot at least 200 arrows though this one in the past 2- 1/2 months so it's broke in.

I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Badly Bent

Re: hhb/edb bow
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 09:41:55 am »
and a few more pics..
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 09:56:46 am »
That's a sharp looking bow!  Nice job on it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 10:04:24 am »
Looks great all around.....really digging the handle wrap though!!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 10:19:30 am »
You have a style all your own Greg, always with a stellar finish.  It has badly bent written all over it.

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 10:31:04 am »
Sweet Jesus man....If thats a bad bow I'll kiss your ------and give ya an hour to get a crowd together >:D Like was said Greg, ya got a style all your own, that thing is just plain sweet. I got to believe that the string knocks with the skin all the way up is about the coolest thing I've seen......
rich

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 10:34:42 am »
Dang Greg if a bows gonna be badly bent that's the wsy to bend it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 10:40:40 am »
That bend says it all. Awesome bow!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 10:48:44 am »
   Greg,
                 Awesome looking bendy 8) Like Rich and Aaron said, you have your own style...The bend, rawhide handle wrap and detail along with the rattle nocks are off the chain man :o  Excellent job sir
                                                                                                                                      Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 10:59:41 am »
This bow is not badly bent.  Well done
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 11:03:02 am »
Outstanding!, love ur work . U certainly know when it's a badly bent bow.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 11:39:01 am »
Another beauty from master Greg. Like the others have already said, your bows can be laid in a crowd of hundreds other bows and we can find out the 'badly bents'.
Your tillering is outstanding and must say every time I see your bows the detail executions and finish work is what I really like. Just looking on the grip or at the nocks is a class for its own.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bushboy

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 11:47:52 am »
Another beauty Greg!I dig your style man! 8)
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 12:04:05 pm »
Looks good to me buddy!!!  ;)

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 12:44:39 pm »
All the hours I've spent on handle wraps to get the ends nice and flush and then I see this one. Looks better with the square ends. Way to think guy. Like it a lot :) :)