Author Topic: Selling our work Pics added  (Read 6086 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Selling our work Pics added
« on: January 17, 2016, 01:25:43 am »
Working long days so I haven't been able to say how awesome ya'll have been doing on your knapping, but a quick look shows a lot of awesome works being posted! Keep it up ya'll!
So I've been being told I could sell some of the knives or arrowheads I've made, would love to make some extra money to fund my hobbies, but I always feel my work isn't good enough. Especially compared to some of ya'lls on here! cough Scott's knife cough cough. So I took a gander on etsy to see what the markets like and there's some awesome knives, priced around what I'd think is right 200 or so, but others that are terrible yet marked up and others that are beautiful for like 50 bucks! How do you all judge your prices and how do you sell? I know the masters deserve the high prices and the new guys should keep practicing but how do you decide where your product sits on that scale?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:48:23 pm by Tracker0721 »
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline sleek

Re: Selling our work
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 10:31:33 am »
It comes right down to what is it worth to you. Perhaps if therewere a guild you could uss you modle you mention, but honestly, the artist decides his price tag, the consumer decides what it is worth.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline le0n

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 11:02:35 am »
...but honestly, the artist decides his price tag, the consumer decides what it is worth.

yep. and no offense anyone, but i personally would not pay a premium for slab work, no matter how good it finished as.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 07:56:02 pm »
A lot of people sale by the inch. Usually Ten dollars an inch is what I've been seeing depending on material.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 08:17:07 pm »
Lots of variables in that question...If you lived in say Texas and had a yard full of great rock and paid nothing but your labor then your price may be different from someone that paid per pound. Also slab cuts can yield more points than trying to spall a couple preforms. Then your over all skill, time and popularity in the knapping arena can change values. Not an easy answer but hope this helps.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 09:20:44 pm »
You gotta start selling to know where the price is at. Setup at local markets and fairs and see what the customer will buy. The more you sell the better you get and eventually you will find a resting point for the price. Bottom line is keep it fun and don't worry too much about selling cause you ain't gonna get rich at this hobby. Keep your overhead low and make a little side cash and be happy.  8)

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 09:53:26 pm »
With all due respect to leOn a well made point is a well made point and if i could get my hands on one of ishi's glass points i don't care that it was basically a slab, no offense
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 10:44:16 pm »
I have some points that was made from slabs you can't tell them from ones made from a spall.

Offline le0n

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 02:33:04 am »
With all due respect to leOn a well made point is a well made point and if i could get my hands on one of ishi's glass points i don't care that it was basically a slab, no offense

^^ None taken. Hell, I'd pay a premium for one of his unfinished slabs. Even if it had only one flake across it.

Let me rephrase. I would buy a well made slab point/knife, no doubt, however, I'd be willing to pay more for one that was spalled and knapped by the same person.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 12:21:02 pm »
I used to feel slabs weren't as good, but seeing the points I've seen from slabs that are amazingly well made and the ones that are just edges popped around once really makes me believe that good slab work should still get the same. If your flakes don't run across it though and it looks like you've only set the edge to flake then keep practicing. Buttt if your willing to pay more for a spalled knife, wanna buy one? Haha   >:D

But selling by the inch seems like a good plan. Does anybody time how long they take to knap something then put an hourly rate to it?

I'd one day like to be as good as some of these guys that can sell knives for 1,000 bucks and it's truly art but I keep looking at mine as hunting tools. So I'd just be happy to make up some gas money for my drive to glass buttes this march haha
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 12:58:05 pm »
Working long days so I haven't been able to say how awesome ya'll have been doing on your knapping, but a quick look shows a lot of awesome works being posted! Keep it up ya'll!
So I've been being told I could sell some of the knives or arrowheads I've made, would love to make some extra money to fund my hobbies, but I always feel my work isn't good enough. Especially compared to some of ya'lls on here! cough Scott's knife cough cough. So I took a gander on etsy to see what the markets like and there's some awesome knives, priced around what I'd think is right 200 or so, but others that are terrible yet marked up and others that are beautiful for like 50 bucks! How do you all judge your prices and how do you sell? I know the masters deserve the high prices and the new guys should keep practicing but how do you decide where your product sits on that scale?

post some pics we want to see them. 

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 02:09:08 pm »
Does anybody time how long they take to knap something then put an hourly rate to it?

It takes me about the same amount of time to make a side notched hunting point as it does to knap a 6" knife blade. Selling by the inch is the easiest way to calculate price. There are other considerations like flake quality, material, & point design...so you will need some experience with different knapping stones to be better able to offer a reasonable price.

I have personal feelings that make me guarded against slab work, but try not to let that interfere with critiquing others who do it. I understand the reason behind it and agree that in some cases the material is just too valuable to waste. However, I chose to reduce material with percussion and rarely work with slabs, therefore the other method doesn't feel right to me.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 12:49:29 pm »
I'll post some pics once I have some Internet. Takes up too much data to download em.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 09:46:20 pm »
So here's my first set followed by some arrowheads since my fingers healed up. And the bear head that was a broken head. Gonna inlay it in my rifle stock maybe.

All spalled. All sharp as can be. That's my strong suite
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:52:37 pm by Tracker0721 »

Offline Sasquatch

Re: Selling our work Pics added
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 01:09:02 pm »
That's what I'm talking about! Nice points, those will kill. Thanks for posting.  It's good to follow peoples work.