Author Topic: Gas prices  (Read 7892 times)

Offline Abo

Re: Gas prices
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2016, 08:54:14 pm »
I can't lie and say the I don't like paying 1.50$ at the pump but here in Texas I work in oilfield service and up until now I haven't been too concerned about getting laid off. Since oil is down to we'll below 30.00$ I'm seeing more and more people lose their jobs and companies going down plus my son is losing his job in the oilfield. Luckily he has is going to be able to go back to his previous line of work but some folks aren't that fortunante. If I lose my job at my age I don't know what I'd do where I could make the money that I make and have insurance for me and my wife. I,d be screwed. So sorry folks  I,d just as soon pay more at the pump and keep my and a lot of other people's jobs so we can keep on paying our bills and eating regular.
John 3:16

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2016, 09:26:08 pm »
I never realized how many people are negatively affected by low gas prices.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sleek

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2016, 09:55:16 pm »
Now that many machinist are out of work, they are being displaced to other machinist jobs that may be lower paying. Well those lower paying jobs are what i was looking ro grab as soon as i am done with school. Too many experienced machinist out there looking for work to justify hiring me, a new guy. So the results flow other into other pil supporting industries and affect guys like me.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2016, 01:13:46 am »
I work in the oilfield also.  The low gas prices means my job is in jeopardy. Between the 5 major oil companies there has been a total of 30 people being laid off.  A lot of those people have families with young children. Very scary around these parts.
Northern Ute

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2016, 05:20:07 am »
Yep I feel for you guys. :(
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2016, 11:18:13 am »
Playing devils advocate here, the inverse is true with high oil prices, there are many industries that have to lay folks off when the fuel that runs their operations costs more than the money they can make doing what they do.

Offline sleek

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2016, 12:19:57 pm »
Playing devils advocate here, the inverse is true with high oil prices, there are many industries that have to lay folks off when the fuel that runs their operations costs more than the money they can make doing what they do.

True point. Well played.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bow101

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2016, 02:30:54 pm »
Lots of good points here about this subject.    When Texas was booming and other oil rich states our pump prices were the minimum.  Then along came the gas wars in the 70's with line ups at the pumps.  In our Great continent why did this even happen.?  Did it have to..? As far as job loss goes that is a bad thing, where we live Real Estate prices are so over inflated its Sickening.  Give me a bow, a log cabin off the grid and live like the pioneers.

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2016, 08:04:40 pm »
Our prices have not budged a lick since oil started falling like rain.  Still right at $2.00 a gallon. 

I laughed so hard a few years ago when I saw the (now former) mayor of Williston, ND, Ward Koeser, telling people this was not a bubble or a boom...it was the new reality.  Sheesh, Ward, when I knew you back in the early 80's as you were watching your business go nigh onto bankruptcy due to the oil bust.  And for that matter, you were born in Williston and saw the oil bust that happened in the 50's!  What the what?!?!  It's always been the sad nature of oil, it is boom or bust, a few get rich, a lot lose their shorts.

I almost packed it in and went back to Williston a few years ago when I had offers. And I gotta say, the money sounded good.  But it was also pretty obvious that this one was another bubble due for a correction.  This new low is not the "new reality" any more than the $110/bbl was it.  I am betting $70/bbl in about 6 months and it will stabilize around $85-90 in the following 18 months after that.  And that is a S.W.A.G. worth the paper it is printed on!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2016, 08:50:28 pm »
Well currently here in Battlefield mo gas is at 1.36 a gallon. If I drive 3 miles it is 1.27 a gallon. I'm not going to complain about these prices one bit. Because even if they never go up you will hear that the big fuel companies will make record profits anyways.
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2016, 11:22:48 pm »
Crashing oil prices decimate Texas boomtowns
Rick Jervis, USA TODAY
PEARSALL, Tex. – Back when the oil money flowed, the Location 581 Saloon would be crammed with pipefitters, welders, derrickhands, truck drivers and all sorts of oilfield workers – as many as 35 of them a night together shelling out more than $2,000 for drinks and good times.

These days, the bar in this South Texas city 50 miles southwest of San Antonio sits mostly empty, except for a few locals. On a recent early evening, three clients sat at the bar. Only two were drinking.
“It’s just like a ghost town again,” said Troy Reeves, the bar’s owner.
Pearsall, like other towns that sit atop of the Eagle Ford Shale and soared during the recent oil boom, has had a harrowing crash back to Earth, as the price of crude has plummeted. On Wednesday, the price of West Texas Intermediate dipped below $27 a barrel – a 12-year low. Just 18 months ago, the crude was trading for more than $100 a barrel.
Crude’s free fall has rattled world markets, erased billions of dollars in stocks worldwide and led to thousands of layoffs in the oil and gas sector. But the steady march of declining prices – with no end in sight – and recent news that lifting of sanctions on Iran could deliver even more oil to the market has nudged the outlook in South Texas from depressed to near desperate.
The number of active oil and gas drilling rigs in the Eagle Ford Shale has shrunk from 259 at the boom's peak in 2012 to 68 today, according to oil field services firm Baker Hughes.
“Blood in the streets,” said David Martin Philips, a Karnes City investor who used his royalty checks from the oil companies to buy seven radio stations in the area. Not everyone diversified as smartly, he said.
Those who put their money in hotels and RV parks to house the deluge of oilfield workers that came during the boom are losing money fast as those workers were let go, Philips said. “Those people are sweating bullets right now,” he said. “There’s a tremendous amount of bankruptcies about to take place.”
Ironically, Eagle Ford Shale’s success and the technology used to unlock millions of barrels of oil stuck in previously unreachable crevices contributed to the oil glut and low prices. Other factors include China’s faltering economy, Saudi Arabia’s unwillingness to scale back its own production and overall weaker global demand.
Texas has experienced oil busts before, most memorably in the mid-1980s, when crude fell to under $10 a barrel and bankrupted towns across the state. This one feels similar to that bust in its length and global impact, said Scott Tinker, director of the Bureau of Economic Geology at University of Texas at Austin.
“This one is deeper and longer than the other ones in 1999, 2007, 2009,” he said. “And we haven’t seen signs of the bottom yet.”
Some towns anticipated the downturn. In Cotulla, which saw a boom of hotels and revenue, city officials made sure to pay off debts on new projects and not overextend their budgets, city administrator Javier Dovalina said. A $1 million loan for a new convention center, for example, was paid off in two payments with their new oil money, he said.
Though down, Cotulla’s revenue is still way up. The city’s annual hotel/motel tax revenue soared from $44,000 a year in 2008 to $1 million at the peak of the boom before settling to just under $800,000 this fiscal year, he said.  Similarly, sales tax revenue climbed from $440,000 in 2008 to $3.2 million at the peak to around $2 million today.
“We may have plateaued and we may be there for a while,” Dovalina said. “But it’s a comfortable plateau.”
In Pearsall, city officials watched in alarm as its oilfield workers streamed out of town and its sales tax sank 30%, city councilman James Leal said. Hordes of workers left Pearsall to seek jobs as construction workers or office clerks in San Antonio, emptying the city’s bars, restaurants and hotels, he said. “We just hope it goes back up,” Leal said of the price of oil. “And sooner rather than later.”
Reeves, the bar owner, moved his oil and gas service company from Shreveport, La., to Pearsall during the recent boom. Business was so robust, he hired three dozen employees for the service company and opened the Location 581 Saloon with his wife.
As of last year, he had let go 35 workers at the service company, leaving him with a skeleton crew of eight. The bar limps along on the business of a handful of locals, but he’s not sure how long that will last, either.
“No one expected it this soon,” Reeves said of the current decline. “All everyone heard then was, ’10-15 years – boom – boom – boom.’ It made it to about six.”

Below- Richard Branson: Low fuel prices for many years to come
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2016, 04:13:44 am »
Like I said , what is good for some is not usually[never] good for all. :) As of just a couple of years ago the oil company's and all related jobs had it good, now not so good but better for a lots of other company's and people, just shows you when things are good put some away for the rainy days because they will come, good things usually don't last forever. ;) :) that's the cold hard truth of it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2016, 09:57:29 am »
Urufu had a good point, when gas prices are high costs for every other business than gas goes up that relies on some form of transportation. 

Our country relies a lot on shipping food from one area to another.  The coasts ship seafood in, the warmer areas ship fruits and veggies to the colder areas, beef gets shipped around everywhere.  That's just food, then there's literally everything else.  Even if you "buy local" the raw material very likely came from somewhere else, and it cost money to get there. 

Not saying that I'm dancing in glee at the gas prices, as Halverson said, it's a bubble, eventually prices will do an about-face and go back up, then the oil companies will be hiring left and right, prices go back up, and it crashes down all over again.  Would be nice if there was a bit more stability to it.

Offline le0n

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2016, 10:33:20 am »
globally, there has been nearly 260,000 layoffs in the industry; 60,000 in texas alone. that's more than 20% of these guys/girls from my state.

believe me, texas is feeling it. what's bad is that they aren't finished making all of the necessary cut-backs. a few in our office feel the bottom is near and we are hoping to be able to ride this out for the next few years until it begins to turn around.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2016, 12:35:00 pm »
Its times like this when new technologies get a foot hold and some take off with new industries. We've been depending on oil for well over 100 years and it might be time to move in a different direction. Solar power and wind power are on an upswing and along with that new jobs open up. And what about wave action or tidal flow. There are so many alternative energy resources that we can use to our advantage without destroying our environment. We don't have to use all of the oil up before we think of another energy resource but some think just because it is there we have to use it up.
 My wife and I designed our home to be passive solar, and that was 26 years ago and it still works very well. When the sun is shining we use very little energy to keep our home warm. We use maybe 300 gals of propane each year but that cooks our food, dries our cloths, heats our water and in rare instances adds heat to our house. We heat mostly with wood but on those bright sunny winter days ole Sol does most of our heating for us. We never put A/C in our house either. We use the power of the sun for that too. With cross ventilation, 2' roof overhangs heavy insulation throughout the house, inside and out and orienting our house to the sun our home stays cool in the summer.
 With a little training those workers in the petroleum industry could convert the solar or wind power industries. Our industrial base need some improvement anyway and if we are not careful we'll be behind everyone else in getting these new industries going. Most of the new developments today were ours but other countries are grabbing the brass ring and running with it while we discuss the plus and minuses of oil prices.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC