Author Topic: Wish for US warbow shoot  (Read 5977 times)

Offline AliciaArchery

• I love shooting warbows
Wish for US warbow shoot
« on: January 20, 2016, 01:50:48 am »
Hi, my name is Alicia and I have a huge passion for shooting warbows. I wish we can gather the warbow archers and have a tournament. Like there be different challenges like distance, accuracy and clout challenges. I am one of the few women in the US that is serious about going up in weight and want to shoot warbows and other heavy bows. I am also involved in flight archery and went last year and had the best time ever.
Warbows rúles

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Wish for US warbow shoot
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 02:21:19 pm »
I'd go to watch, but have no personal interest in building up to shooting something that heavy.  Maybe link it with the flight bow competitions held annually down on the Salt Flats west of Salt Lake City?  Plenty of room out there!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:13:52 pm »
Alicia,   You could always try putting one a meet!
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline AliciaArchery

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 12:19:53 am »
I do not have the land or do not know were I can put such a meet. I do not even know how to oranized a meet. I live were there is no archery ranges, just open desert.
Warbows rúles

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 07:47:39 pm »
I do not have the land or do not know were I can put such a meet. I do not even know how to oranized a meet. I live were there is no archery ranges, just open desert.

Open desert....like, lotsa room to throw arrows loooong range?

Offline loon

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 02:48:01 am »
I'd be up for training to shoot up to 80 or 90lbs. Would take a few years for me to make or get a heavy bow, though.. Can rarely pull rubber bands around 80-90lbs way back. Need to strengthen bow arm...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:05:59 pm by loon »

Offline avcase

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 01:30:52 pm »
Alicia, I agree with the suggestion to link a war bow shoot with the US flight Championships. After all, we already have everything in place at the flight shoot necessary. Perhaps you could put a proposal together to include it?  I think it would be a natural fit to shoot war bows alongside our broadhead flight competition on Sunday.

The only issue might be with the sanctioning archery organization for recognition of distance records. USA Archery and World Archery is the sanctioning organization or our flight shoot. We would either need to add a war bow category the the US Flight rules or figure a way to have the event recognized and supported by some existing war bow organization. I believe we could find a way to work this part out.

Alan

Offline AliciaArchery

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 03:16:35 pm »
That could be a problem, we can just do it for fun on Sunday at the flight shoot. It would be cool if there is a warbow class. To the other guy, it has to be a salt flat to do this. I cannot just do that in a desert field because it has a lot of rocks and the bushes. I try to do that and end up loosing 3 arrows.
Warbows rúles

Offline avcase

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 05:39:13 pm »
I'll run it by the rest of the organizing committee, but I think it is a safe bet we can run this as an exhibition event this year and see what kind of interest is generated.  Archers also have the option of using the Thursday before the shoot, where we set up a shooting line and measuring equipment for practice rounds. On Thursday, you can shoot anything you want, as long as it passes a safety inspection.  The Thursday practice shooting line was great to have last year because it gave us a dry run to make sure all the equipment and procedures are working smoothly. It won't be for official distance records but you will know within 1/8" how far you can launch a standard war bow arrow. It would be good enough for bragging rights!

If we find there is enough interested war bow archers who would like something more formal, then we can draft some rules and work toward including it in subsequent flight tournaments. Does this sound like a good plan?

Alan

Offline AliciaArchery

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 05:26:40 pm »
I bring my warbow and war arrows. I think the bow can be any wood since yew bows cost over thousand and the arrows need to be to warbow standards. I can put on a show and let others try a warbows if they want.
Warbows rúles

Offline AliciaArchery

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 05:31:26 pm »
About the rules, the American and the English Warbow society is a good place to start for standards in bows and arrows.

http://www.theenglishwarbowsociety.com/EWBS_about2015.html
The Bow

The English Warbow was the bow the longbow used in battle by the Plantagenet and Tudor armies of the 14th, 15th and 16th Centuries. The EWBS defines a warbow to be a bow that follows the pattern, profile and tiller of the bows found on the Mary Rose.
The Society imposes a lower limit on bow draw-weight for adult males (70lb at a measured 32” of draw), although there is no lower weight limit for women, juniors and archers over 60.  In order to encourage beginners, further allowance is made for a new member’s first year.

Mary Rose Class Self yew bows in the “spirit of the original” MR bows:

- No shorter than the shortest MR bow (74” – to be confirmed);
- May be to any MR bow profile;
- Heat treatment may be used to straighten a stave but not to induce unnatural reflex (an unbraced bow shall not show any artificially induced reflex);
- Be full compass in tiller;
- Within the 5/8, depth/width rule along the length of the bow;
- Has some profile to the belly of the bow (i.e. not flat bellied); and has no handle grip/covering.

Meane Wood

Self bows made of other woods available to the medieval bowyer, such as Ash or Elm. In the absence of reliable historical evidence of the dimensions of meane wood warbows, the MR dimensions above are to be used for this class, except:

- Not less than 72” in length; and
- Heat treatment may be used to straighten a stave or stiffen the belly but not to induce unnatural reflex (the bow must not be reflexed    when unbraced).

This specification will be revised if period bows of this type are found.

Non-Historical

Non Historical Bows made from laminations of wood. Any laminated bow would be in this class, exotic or otherwise, as would backed bows, any join in the handle bows and self bows of wood not used in the above period by Anglo-Welsh armies (e.g. osage). The following shall also apply:

- A maximum of four wood laminations;
- No less than 72” in length;
- No synthetic or horn laminations;
- Bows may have a handle grip or covering;
- No bamboo may be used except for bows used to shoot the Flight Arrow;
Warbows rúles

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 05:32:52 pm »
Looks like you have sunk your teeth into this!  Good!

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 09:10:42 am »
Come on out to Mojam at Marshall Mo. in July and shoot your warbow in the clout shoot.