Author Topic: Arrows from boards  (Read 12450 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Arrows from boards
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 07:47:22 am »
Yep Pat that gizmo you made works great.Too bad the shaft material I tried did'nt suit my weight and spine.I stick the shaft in the drill and sanded the piss out of them.I don't think they were ash at all like labeled,but maybe some kind of exotic amazonian type wood.
Lumberman....I can't seem to get everything in for info at once here but the key to brain tanning really is to get a goooood stretch on your rawhide prior[while fleshing] to and during braining.Opening the fibers apart to let the warm brain slurry oils penetrate the fibers.I like to freeze and stress the wet deer hide prior to fleshing and dehairing too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 05:32:33 pm »
Thanks again for the replies guys! I will probably try the small planer and if I stick with making em graduate to the veritas and beyond.

Thanks beadman, yeah I get talow from the hyper would t be surprised if they have pig brains too.. Project for February or March before it gets too warm out

Offline JonW

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 07:56:09 pm »
I made a real nice and simple one. Just drill a 3/8ths hole and take a dremmel cut-off wheel and cut grooves across the hole like the numbers on a clock. Works awesome. Took longer to heat treat it than make it. Takes about 30 seconds to make 3/8 square stock round.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 08:05:12 pm »
I'll have to try that one John! Sounds simple and effective. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 08:45:56 pm »
I use a small plane and can cut, weigh out  and spine a white pine shaft in 30 minutes. Jawge
http://traditionalarchery101.com/shafts.html
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 09:39:28 pm »
Veritas 3/8 dowel cutters are now about $37, but likely still good deal if gonna be making bunch of shafts.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 08:15:08 am »
I made a real nice and simple one. Just drill a 3/8ths hole and take a dremmel cut-off wheel and cut grooves across the hole like the numbers on a clock. Works awesome. Took longer to heat treat it than make it. Takes about 30 seconds to make 3/8 square stock round.

How thick was the steele you used?
Steve Bennett

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 09:16:57 am »
I'll post up some findings of different types of wood soon here from square stock for arrow shafts.Gotta wait till they are dry to test them.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 10:37:38 am »
Sounds good, going to try any from that erc?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 11:17:07 am »
I got some poplar shafts from Charlie Jefferson(Stringstretcher) that he made with a Veritas dowel maker and a compression block. They are some of the best doweled shafts I've used, a little light(about like PO cedar) but tough as nails. Charlie found out after some experiments that if he stickered his stock and let them season for 2 years he got his best shafting. Also the sapwood of the poplar was better shafting than the heartwood. The heartwood made good shafts but was more brittle than the sapwood, both weighed about the same.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 11:40:12 am »
Two years!? YoWza.. Must've been pretty thick stock? That's commitment for arrows

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 12:42:03 pm »
There's a big difference between commitment and having enough stock kicking around so you don't use it for two years ;D ;D. I got a 18" dia Hemlock log to make arrow out of, I'm sure by the time I use it all up I will be using wood that has been seasoned for five years. Not sayin' he isn't committed, I think most of us should be ;D ;D

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 12:46:12 pm »
Touché

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 01:18:35 pm »
Charlie was making these to sell commercially until he got too ill to work on them. He had all of his stock cut to 2" thick, or at least 5/4" if I remember right.
 Like good bow wood, seasoning makes the wood more stable so there is less of a chance of warping.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2016, 03:53:14 pm »
Lumberman......ERC is way to low on the spine scale for myself unless you shoot 20 to 30 pound bows & it would be too low mass weight wise too.
Pat....Whatever happened to string stretcher? I know he became ill but tried to settle with people on trades etc.He had 50$ of my money on a trade for some of his pre spined tonkin bamboo shafts.I never heard from him again about our trade.
BowEd
Ed