Author Topic: Arrows from boards  (Read 12451 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrows from boards
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 04:49:20 pm »
Ed, Charlie's illness is progressive with no cure. It has affected his inner ear so his equilibrium, vision and hearing. I was surprised when I got the email from him.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 09:01:49 am »
I'm very sorry to hear that.I don't think I ever actually met him but from what I've heard he was quite an arrow maker and am sure the PA family will miss him.Along with his own family.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2016, 09:19:08 am »
Ed, Charlie may have been at the Classic the year you came. He worked in the archery industry for quite a few years and did understand arrows well. He also got a lot of info from Art Butner(artcher1) when dealing with wood, hardwood shoots and cane.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2016, 09:24:12 am »
Hey I just wanted to thank everyone for their insight and help; not all the way there yet but churning out some usable dowels

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2016, 09:26:16 am »
White oak guys down to 3/8"

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2016, 09:30:49 am »
Walnut too, out of nearly 4 dozen straight grained squares I think I'll end up with about two or three dozen, the oak ones are tricky to avoid runoff somewhere in the length

Offline willie

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2016, 01:51:52 pm »
Lumberman-
if you can turn your skil saw into a table saw, you might like this method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e9F_1sGOXA

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2016, 08:25:32 pm »
Hm maybe I should have, I thought about it but I figured it would be more prone to ripping a chunk out, looked pretty fast though

Offline DC

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2016, 09:52:22 pm »
In the comments he mentions the size is within .010-.015". I think it would take a bit of sanding to true that up. A lot of the guys that make dowels on Youtube are making them to make joints and they don't have to be that smooth. Arrows gotta look perrrrrrr-fect :) I hope mine get close to that one day.

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2016, 07:58:08 am »
Yeah it made a huge difference once I made that little block in front to prevent any wobble; plus it took out my tendency to error in pushing it through at the same angle every time. I hit em with 220 grit to smooth em down. It still remains to be seen whether I can make them shoot able arrows. I've got the metal for trade points but we'll see

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2016, 08:45:29 am »
Looks good.Sizer,spiner,& a grain scale and to heck with buying arrows.Oh and a bit more sand paper.....lol.Bet your gonna like those walnuts bud.Went to a 3D shoot yesterday with mine and was very pleased with them.550 grain with 125 tip/50 to 55 spine/30" overall.The oak does'nt have enough spine for the thickness for me,and then they come in way too heavy to suit me too.
Finding some straight fine ringed old fir boards from joists or doors would be a bonanza.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed