Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade ( incentives added)  (Read 12779 times)

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: Who's all interested in the noninvitational 2016 PA Bow Trade
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 09:43:49 pm »
A good old school trade just for the sake of learning and passing on knowledge to less experienced bow makers sounds good to me. Count me in please, if nobody is opposed to it. ;)

Also, I'm not worried about what type of bow, how "nice", or whether or not it's a stave or board bow. Ill be happy to get whatever, and from whoever!

Let's just have fun with it! I'll be starting mine tomorrow.

Tattoo Dave

Now, that kinda talk appeals mightily to me, and though I hadn't even thought about it before, I'd be honored to participate in the same trade you are. And same thing for me, a bow from whomever, of any kind of bow, from any experience level. And I'll do my absolute best into the hat, in return.

X2       I am interested

Swampman

Offline kid bow

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 09:51:24 pm »
A good old school trade just for the sake of learning and passing on knowledge to less experienced bow makers sounds good to me. Count me in please, if nobody is opposed to it. ;)

Also, I'm not worried about what type of bow, how "nice", or whether or not it's a stave or board bow. Ill be happy to get whatever, and from whoever!

Let's just have fun with it! I'll be starting mine tomorrow.

Tattoo Dave

Now, that kinda talk appeals mightily to me, and though I hadn't even thought about it before, I'd be honored to participate in the same trade you are. And same thing for me, a bow from whomever, of any kind of bow, from any experience level. And I'll do my absolute best into the hat, in return.

X2       I am interested

Swampman

X3 I'm highly interested
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 09:54:53 pm »
I'll definitely be in again this year if Im allowed. I agree with tatto Dave about it being a random thing so that you might get something different than what you typically make. Even if you don't recieve something as good as you usually make its still giving someone an opportunity to make the best they can and gives a more experience bowyer a chance to critique and give advice on how they can improve there bows. And if a more experience person sends out a better bow than the recipient makes then they can study it over and see what they can improve on. Either way, by entering into the trade you can either learn something yourself or by teaching someone else. If you want to selectively match up people I don't think it would be too bad an idea to match people up with someone that makes a different style, whether it be the materials used or the bow design, regardless of skill level. If they can make a safe now that'll hold up. It wouldn't be a given that that's what they would make but it would help to spread the knowledge.
Just my thoughts. I'll join in and have fun regardless of the match up method. Depending on the location of my victim they will either get a sinew backed ERC or a character osage. If I'm allowed to play.

Kyle

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 10:00:05 pm »
Sounds like a hat pulling to me ;D
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 10:02:57 pm »
Thanks for taking the reigns Fred! We appreciate it!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 10:06:35 pm »
What do you guys think about signups? If we have names drawn by Feb 15th that gives everyone 6 months to get their project completed.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline pincushin

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 10:07:39 pm »
god i hope its a little early er than that I'm already seething in anticipation

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 10:08:37 pm »
What do you guys think about signups? If we have names drawn by Feb 15th that gives everyone 6 months to get their project completed.

That sounds good to me. 

Offline ajooter

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 10:53:24 pm »
I would be interested....I'm finishing up a bow right now and will post pictures of another so you can gauge my abilities.  Sounds like it should be a good time.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 12:10:23 am »
With some of the guys that is participating in this thread I would almost consider joining in on this trade. But last year was my first bow trade and I think I will have to respectively sit this one out. I hope you all make the 2016 bow trade the best ever. I'm just going to have to stay on the sidelines this go around.
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline AttieBotes

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2016, 05:18:36 am »
I'm in South Africa. So my first question is, any fellow South African's or people willing to ship to the RSA?

Offline sleek

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2016, 08:57:39 am »
I just picked up a personal bow trade with someone so, ima sit this one out too. Hope you guys get it working well.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2016, 09:57:47 am »
I'm in South Africa. So my first question is, any fellow South African's or people willing to ship to the RSA?

I've just done some checking and if a U.S. bowyer could keep bow+package weight under 3 lbs. the cost for U.S First Class Package International postage to S.A. would presently be $33.25. 

If you go to 4 lbs the cost jumps to $57.25.

Other postal considerations:

"Import licenses are not required for bona fide gifts not exceeding R 200 (Rand) in value."

And the really discouraging part, I just found is that package length is limited to 24". I suppose a take-down bow with a length of say 47" might just make it. Could be a real challenge, but might be an interesting one.

Hope that helps!
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2016, 10:10:43 am »
I'm in. This will be my first bow trade, but I've done the arrow trade and x-mas exchange with no issues.  I can do a board bow if necessary to get an even # of guys,  but would prefer to do a stave. I don't know why board bows are seen as a lesser creation. Just as much craftsmanship and skill can be put into a board as can be put into a stick.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2016, 10:12:07 am »
Yea me to. I am doing a personal trade this year. But I will be watching.