Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade ( incentives added)  (Read 12802 times)

Offline paulsemp

Re: Who's all interested in the noninvitational 2016 PA Bow Trade
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2016, 10:20:22 am »
I'm in South Africa. So my first question is, any fellow South African's or people willing to ship to the RSA?

I've just done some checking and if a U.S. bowyer could keep bow+package weight under 3 lbs. the cost for U.S First Class Package International postage to S.A. would presently be $33.25. 

If you go to 4 lbs the cost jumps to $57.25.

Other postal considerations:

"Import licenses are not required for bona fide gifts not exceeding R 200 (Rand) in value."

And the really discouraging part, I just found is that package length is limited to 24". I suppose a take-down bow with a length of say 47" might just make it. Could be a real challenge, but might be an interesting one.

Hope that helps!

Just a heads up I sent one to England as a makeup Bow 3 years ago and it was $187. We had a fundraiser and a bunch of guys pitched in to help me pay

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2016, 10:34:20 am »
I think I'm out this year.  But maybe just a suggestion, require a picture of the finished bow on the due date before anything is shipped, and no late bows.

There are similar problems with knife in the hats, and that solved most of the problems.  The other thing we did was after the photos were submitted, participants graded each knife, and you were sent a knife with a score similar to your own.

Just two thoughts.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2016, 10:44:29 am »
E. Jensen,

That's going to be one of the rules this year. No early bow shipments If the receiving participant isn't showing any activity ;D
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2016, 10:48:12 am »
Good deal.  I'm not going to be in either trade this year.  Just no time.  Finishing my masters.  I did like the idea someone else had of building a bow for a non-archer.  I think that is a great idea, and if anyone else is interested, we should put that together.  As far as furthering the craft, that will do far more than sending a bow to someone who can already make their own.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2016, 12:01:45 pm »
Any UK bowyers interested?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2016, 01:55:32 pm »
E. Jensen,

That's going to be one of the rules this year. No early bow shipments If the receiving participant isn't showing any activity ;D

Solid idea.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade ( incentives added)
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2016, 02:30:34 pm »
If you like I'll see if I can add a 45#@28" safe to 30" bendy skinny bow to the incentives in a couple months, I have a blank a customer couldn't follow through on and it's starting to bug me ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.