Author Topic: Beautiful juniper, first try. Need advice  (Read 8216 times)

Offline freke

Re: Beautiful juniper, first try. Need advice
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 04:00:07 pm »
Clear hinge.

... the hinge was there all the time, I was scream loud "STOP!!!" when I scroll your post down:(
There is a sweet tool "tillering gizmo" -   it is really useful tool to check belly for weak spots

Offline Frodolf

Re: Beautiful juniper, first try. Need advice
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 04:02:09 pm »
I'm sorry for your loss (welcome to the club  :)). On the other hand, what a cool series of pics! You can really learn from it. A spot on the right limb is bending more than it should – a hinge – and the farther you draw the bow the more apparent it is. Another thing you can notice – and this you can see clearly if you look at a bow from a distance as it bends on a tiller tree – is how the handle tilts to the left the farther you draw it. This means the left limb is stiffer than the right, the bow tilts towards the stiffer limb. If you look at the second to last pic and compare it to the first, you can see that the left limb has done almost no bending whatsoever, and that the outer limb on the right is not doing a lot of bending either. Basically all those 50 pounds are being "stored" in the hinge. That's why it broke.

I think it's quite a common beginner mistake to remove too much wood close to the handle. I did that too. And I see a lot of beginners do that when I give courses. I don't know why that is.

Hey, where in Sweden are you BTW? I've got plenty of dry staves. PM me if you're running low on dry wood.