Author Topic: 1st Annual PA Invitational 2016  (Read 335178 times)

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Re: 1st Annual PA Invitational 2016
« Reply #315 on: February 19, 2016, 01:08:29 pm »
Remember....Bowcup.....Standard Bowcup, Kevlar Bowcup, and the new Primitive Bowcup made with genuine sinew.
Just say, "Bowcup is my cup!" For those times when you don't want to leave a good impression.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #316 on: February 20, 2016, 03:47:39 am »
Here is my attempt on the trade so far.
I decided to make a take down for two reasons. First it is a lot easier to ship over the pond, the second is it looks cool and this bow is thought to be a hunting bow  -  so perhaps another good reason as the transport into the bush is also simple.
My thoughts about a bushbow are: not too long, dull finish with natural colors or camo, low stress design to allow leaving the bow braced the hunting session long – so no reflex or just a bit, a fast design – a static or a r/d, no fancy things – it should be a working horse.

Here we go:

This is my last suitable short stave, if it don't work I need to cut a lfull length  stave.
Splitting into sister billets went without problems, the piece is nearly straight

Shortened the lower limb 2”

the billets with the prepared homemade sleeves. As you can see I have improved the sleeves by cutting an angle at the joint. This allows a longer way inside and gives a lot more of stability. I really don't like if the limbs are waggly when unbraced.

Also made new cauls for the steaming

here already steamed and laying together in the desired shape r/d

The inner ends

The back with guide lines for side taper

Side

Now for the funky part. As said I will try r/d design. So the limbs should reach the sleeves in an angle, not parallel to the back ring. Next challenge is to get the 45° joint matching,. You can see some lines a s guide for sawing and shaping. The red line is the chased back ring, near the handle I have left some additional rings to have some wood to play with. Or in other words the room in the sleeves must be filled to get a good  fit and the back ring (here is the most stress) must have to lay deeper to avoid cutting off in front of the sleeve. The sawline of the two cut off shims is the direction the sleeves will have. Parallel to the black guide line in the middle. Hope you can follow my crude words …

Here you see the desired design, the limbs laying in position. If you look close you can see that the sleeve direction isn'tt parallel to the string. The plan is the let the upper limbcoming in the sleeve in a bit steeper angle than the bottom. This allows to hold the handle canted a bit forward on the upper end, or short: a more recurve grip. Background is the sleeves are always a bit boring, a non shaped geometric thing looking non natural.

working on the 45° cut

the lower limb, fitting the large sleeve

checking the joint

the upper ready, perfect fit

Next steps (no pics) were taper side, taper thickness, tiller, and into the fuming pipe - will try a faded coloring again ...
hope it works - we will see in about 10 days

Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline simson

« Reply #317 on: February 20, 2016, 03:49:09 am »
You got that right! Finished throwing it in the burn pile :)

That sucks, Pearlie. That stick was looking nice ....
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #318 on: February 20, 2016, 06:59:18 am »
Looks like you are making some great progress on  your bow Simson. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #319 on: February 20, 2016, 07:50:01 am »
That is going to be a real sweetie, Simon. I've never glued in deflex, but plan to very soon. Your pictures and descriptions are also great, it helps a lot of folks see things and understand things that words cant describe.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #320 on: February 20, 2016, 09:14:53 am »
Great work Simon......I'm watching and learning
Thanks
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #321 on: February 20, 2016, 09:21:08 am »
Excellent design Simon, I bet that is gonna be a killer bow when done. Also, well done on the pics and descriptions of the whole process.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bubby

« Reply #322 on: February 20, 2016, 10:03:02 am »
Profile looks killer Simon and your theory and execution on the sleeve layout is great
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bushboy

« Reply #323 on: February 20, 2016, 11:30:53 am »
Stellar work guys! 8)I should receive a stave of vm and osage from wizard goat(ryan) very soon and I will get going on this.On a side note I wedged one of my suspect skinny elm staves(mold damaged? )between a couple of trees and bent it about 75 degrees before it cracked. Ever so slightly so i'm gonna maybe try a bow out of it to see what happens.thoughts are welcome on the elm.thank's bush!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #324 on: February 20, 2016, 02:45:33 pm »
Cool thing about seeing all these bows being built, I know who is receiving them  :)
As I wait for plan A to season up a bit more, I'm going to get going on plan B and C.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #325 on: February 20, 2016, 04:38:10 pm »
Very cool Simon, fun seeing the progress

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #326 on: February 21, 2016, 12:35:36 pm »
I'm back at it this morning(afternoon) guys...straightening out previously bent osage. Lets see if this plan works.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #327 on: February 21, 2016, 04:21:47 pm »
That look's like a Bad a$$ bow, Simson.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #328 on: February 21, 2016, 08:44:29 pm »
Wel I have an osage selfbow in the works and this
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #329 on: February 22, 2016, 01:03:26 am »
It seems like getting an osage bow to blwo into 3-4 pieces is an accomplishment in itself. It had to have been close to perfect to do that. Sorry to hear... it does happen, and it is never easy.

3 piece Pearly!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso