Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 690077 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1365 on: February 15, 2016, 09:04:59 am »

Gut, what you gonna call that one? The 18 rings of Hades?

Dubois, probably name it the death of Me!

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #1366 on: February 15, 2016, 09:11:44 am »
Congrats to the winners and to everyone workin their a&$#s off on this trade.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1367 on: February 15, 2016, 09:18:52 am »
Here  is choice 3 I am working on, Elm, 66 ntn going for a elliptical tiller, have it out to 22". see any issues? Hammertime

You have a hinge off the fade in the upper. Past that hinge is dead flat. The bottom is flat from fade to tip. You need ALOT more even bending on those limbs. Use a straight edge or gizmo. I'm guessing you will need at least 10-15# to get anywhere near your desired tiller. My red lines show your flat spots. Pretty easy to them when made red.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 09:44:28 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #1368 on: February 15, 2016, 09:32:36 am »
Wow, I am well and truly blessed!  Thank you all so much!  Fred I will PM you this evening after work once Ty makes his choice, OK?

I didn't even get to touch my bow this weekend, my twins were born 10 years ago on Valentines day, so this weekend was all about them and the missus.  I did check my stave, it's still has some drying to do apparently.  I cut a bit off one of the ends to get it down to my chosen length, and it started checking cause I forgot to seal it.  I resealed the whole end with some titebond in hopes it stops, I think it will be fine cause it's right on the end and off to the side of where the actual limb tip will be.

I got to start chasing rings on plan b next while plan a keeps drying.  That's the next step.

You haven't seen or heard from me much in the last few days. Two of my sisters visited traveling  from Torrington, WY and Aurora, CO. We had a great time and don't get the chance to do it often enough. Anyway I'm back> You are doing a fantastic job of getting things done helping each other.

Especially wish to thank Rich for staying on top of everything going on but all of you guys are doing fantastic. Your motivation is catching.

As stated in an earlier post, the first incentive drawing was held tonight and we have 3 winners.

#1 Ty_in_ND  Choice of 10" Ochsenkopf draw knife
                      #49 Nicholson pattern makers rasp or
                       Aged osage stave donated by JonW

#2 Sidmand   Defer to above after Tyler's choice.

#3 Drewster  JWHalverson's black hills gold ( pure honey and beeswax)

Congratulations to all of you. We will have another drawing next Sunday evening for 3 more donated items. Keep up the spirit!!!! >>-----> Fred

Well, for starters, I hope the visit with your sisters was good!  I'm lucky enough that my siblings will pretty close to me, so we don't go long stretches without weeing each other. 

As far as winning the drawing... all I can say is I'm humbled that I was even entered in, let alone to win something.

As for the bow, it's on to plan B for me.  I was looking at the cuts for the splice and thought "they're so close to being perfect, I can work on them just a touch more...".  I know, famous last words!  Anyway, the boards aren't ruined at all, but if I were to cut new splices, I would be left with a length of wood that would be a little on the short side for me to comfortably make a bow for my guy's stats.  I'll be trimming some more osage slats I have to size tonight!
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline DuBois

« Reply #1369 on: February 15, 2016, 11:18:24 am »
Got some work on the 1st choice osage 62". Thought I'd try something new to me and deflex handle and add reflex to tips. Putting faith in this one so I added tip overlays of inner bison horn bone and a little bison horn on top. Start tillering later this week!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #1370 on: February 15, 2016, 11:19:41 am »
Also one of my inside tiller horse. I like it cause I can get up and walk around it and get different angles and look down from t-t

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1371 on: February 15, 2016, 11:20:28 am »
Lookin great dubois...like those overlays.  Can't wait to see it bending!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #1372 on: February 15, 2016, 11:38:15 am »
Like that design Marco. That should be a quick little bow. I need your tiller horse design so I can adapt it to a shaving horse.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Tower

« Reply #1373 on: February 15, 2016, 12:28:31 pm »
I finally found a lil time to work an Osage stave I had.  Here are a few pics.  I will start posting more as I finish it.

He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1374 on: February 15, 2016, 12:35:30 pm »
Tower, that's a great looking stave.  Looks like you've been doing some knapping too :-)
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #1375 on: February 15, 2016, 12:39:00 pm »
That's looking good Don. Nice stave to work with.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1376 on: February 15, 2016, 12:39:33 pm »
Marco that's a good looking profile on that bow. Should be a screamer

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1377 on: February 15, 2016, 12:42:21 pm »
Tower that s one straight stave right there. Possibilities unlimited.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #1378 on: February 15, 2016, 12:55:29 pm »
Made it to the shop today and got a little tillering done. Have it at top of my victims weght at bottom of his draw range. Put around 70 arrows through it and am realy liking it. Was  tearing up the bullseye at 8 yards in my shop. :)
Just need to shoot it more and stretch the draw length out a bit. Will try to get a draw pic sometime today.

Steve Bennett

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #1379 on: February 15, 2016, 01:15:27 pm »
Between tillering sessions on the plan B bow, I was able to get a weight with new tree and digital scale, and shoot a few arrows out of the older plan A bow. Now seems to have made it to the bottom of my guy's range in weight. I'll probably send the plan B bow out because I hope it will be even better and more interesting. But this one is a sweet, fast shooter as-is. Weighs 14 oz, 60" overall.

I love it when a plan B comes together....